Reccomendations, Guitar
Hajduk
Jun 26 2013, 05:47 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi All, planning on buying a new guitar budget is about $1200 CDN dollars almost the same as $!200 American. Really leaning on Ibanez, Charvel and EVH Frankenstein classic. Prefer a faster guitar although I cant play that fast biggrin.gif I just like how they feel in my hands.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Tomislav
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 26 2013, 11:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Hajduk @ Jun 26 2013, 04:47 PM) *
Hi All, planning on buying a new guitar budget is about $1200 CDN dollars almost the same as $!200 American. Really leaning on Ibanez, Charvel and EVH Frankenstein classic. Prefer a faster guitar although I cant play that fast biggrin.gif I just like how they feel in my hands.

Sadly I cannot help You well at this one - I never really cared about guitar to be fast or no. Loved Les Paul fat necks same as Ibanez S ultra thin ones smile.gif I think If one of mentioned is one of Your dreams then You should go for it. Topics like this are very dangerous smile.gif People will advice You buy those exactly same as other will tell to avoid. This will probably make just more mess in Your head and change You decission for other brand. This could end good or bad...tongue.gif

Anyway You didn't mention any brand that You should stay away from...so You're on the good patch smile.gif

Your budget is pretty nice - I would probably go for none of those three but only because of the private preferences.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 27 2013, 08:32 AM
Instructor
First off, try them smile.gif If you like how they feel and sound - find a model that fits your budget and try it through YOUR setup, if possible smile.gif

I would not go with any of those guitars, simply because, as Darius mentioned, personal choices. For 1200 USD, I'd hunt down a used PRS on eBay - although I don't advise you to do that, simply because you can't test it before smile.gif

Go on and make some research in your local guitar shop - try, feel and then choose!

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jun 27 2013, 09:44 AM
GMC:er
As Todd told me, try going to all the stores near you, take out a lot of time for them and play every guitar they have in your budget through an amp that sounds like the amp you use regularly. I went in a store looking for an Ibanez or Jackson but came out holding an ESP M-II, because the Ibanez and Jacksons they had were very weak compared to the ESP regarding sound. I like playing on high gain and stuff.

Of course, if you really want to buy an Ibanez, I'd suggest any of the Prestige series. The tremolo on those guitars really keeps the thing in tune even if you abuse the whammy to hell.

PRS is my second best recommendation for you. Although they are very versatile, I still recommend you to try every single PRS they have.

Used guitars buying on the internet? No, I'd definitely recommend you not to do that. If you're buying a used guitar, make sure you can hold it, play it and feel if its comfortable. The weight, the neck, the action, the tuning stability, the switches, the control knobs, the tuning pegs, the tremolo (if it has any), the bridge, everything needs to be triple checked on a used guitar.

Also, a tip given to me by Mark (mroberts70) is shake the guitar and listen closely to the neck. If you hear a rattle, the truss rod is broken, so stay away from that.

Do keep us posted on this smile.gif

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jun 27 2013, 10:24 AM
I'm an Ibanez fan personally, but it took me going from a fat neck of a Gibson down through MusicMan to get use to that thin neck. Just as anymore I enjoy baritone over standard scale due to owning a 7.

I say go check out a PRS SE series guitar, they are extremely well made for the price. If it plays great but sounds bad, with the saved money toss in some new pickups and then you have the best of both worlds.

Most people think you have to pay out the butt for a good quality guitar. Example look at Cosmin he has a Jem and plays his PRS SE more, I've owned $4,000 guitars sold them all and now I play a $700 one. It's all about the comfort in YOU'RE hands.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jun 27 2013, 07:54 PM
Yeah definitely going try out guitars and see what suits you best.I have lost money from buying guitars without trying them and later selling them.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 28 2013, 07:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jun 27 2013, 09:24 AM) *
I'm an Ibanez fan personally, but it took me going from a fat neck of a Gibson down through MusicMan to get use to that thin neck. Just as anymore I enjoy baritone over standard scale due to owning a 7.

I say go check out a PRS SE series guitar, they are extremely well made for the price. If it plays great but sounds bad, with the saved money toss in some new pickups and then you have the best of both worlds.

Most people think you have to pay out the butt for a good quality guitar. Example look at Cosmin he has a Jem and plays his PRS SE more, I've owned $4,000 guitars sold them all and now I play a $700 one. It's all about the comfort in YOU'RE hands.

Heya Travis biggrin.gif Thanks for the great example tongue.gif The JEM plays great and it sounds great, but it does not serve my purposes for a long time now. The SE series is a great price vs quality find, although I am preparing for the big league and going for an American made PRS this Autumn tongue.gif I already tried one which I like very much - the DC3, so I am gathering 'resources' to get it biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jun 29 2013, 07:24 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 28 2013, 02:48 AM) *
Heya Travis biggrin.gif Thanks for the great example tongue.gif The JEM plays great and it sounds great, but it does not serve my purposes for a long time now. The SE series is a great price vs quality find, although I am preparing for the big league and going for an American made PRS this Autumn tongue.gif I already tried one which I like very much - the DC3, so I am gathering 'resources' to get it biggrin.gif

Mark my words! You will make the jump into it and yet will still go back to the Paul Allender SE! laugh.gif Just because of the time you spent together. Because that is just an amazing guitar. I saved up for one and drove out to the store they stopped making the purple one. That is actually the day I bought my natural Ibanez.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 29 2013, 10:29 PM
Recently played the a new charvel model, cheapest scate caster. The oiled neck is amazing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 30 2013, 01:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jun 29 2013, 06:24 PM) *
Mark my words! You will make the jump into it and yet will still go back to the Paul Allender SE! laugh.gif Just because of the time you spent together. Because that is just an amazing guitar. I saved up for one and drove out to the store they stopped making the purple one. That is actually the day I bought my natural Ibanez.

Hmmm, man - I tried a PRS Custom 24 which belongs to a very good friend and I liked it very much smile.gif Even played with it in a few gigs and it is smooth as butter, so I think it's a matter of trying things. I would NEVER ever sell my SEs, but a new addition to the family is welcome wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 30 2013, 11:40 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! My vote here is lik Cosmin's, I would go for a PRS guitar since it's a guitar where you can play fast but you also have a big sound for getting powerful tones. You are going to invest a good amount of money so you must take the right decision. As everybody said here, go to a store and try guitars until you fall in love. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 1 2013, 06:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 30 2013, 10:40 PM) *
Hi mate! My vote here is lik Cosmin's, I would go for a PRS guitar since it's a guitar where you can play fast but you also have a big sound for getting powerful tones. You are going to invest a good amount of money so you must take the right decision. As everybody said here, go to a store and try guitars until you fall in love. wink.gif

Wise words from a wise man tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:21 AM