Alternate To Fretboard Warrior, Some might find this helpful
Spyle
Oct 17 2007, 06:54 AM
GMC:er
So I'm trying to learn the notes for all the frets and I ran into a "Fretboard Warrior" program which was a pretty cool idea. The free version didn't meet my needs though, probably because I'm so new. So anyways, I made my own version of this. It's not as flashy as the other one, but I think it has more features.

* Turn strings on/off
* Show last note when wrong
* Show fret #
* Do markers only
* Do whole notes only
* 1-99 minutes
* Goal given based on time and level selected

For now it does lack sound, I might add that later. This is helping me a lot. I started off easy with markers only and 1 string. Increased the level each time until I reached the goal. Then I did 2 strings, 3 strings, and so on.. Once I get those all down, I'll do whole notes.

Download Link

You do need the .NET Framework 2.0 if you don't have it already from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Hemlok
Oct 17 2007, 06:57 AM
Object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server.

Edit: Woops. Gotta right click, save link as. I just clicked the link. tongue.gif

Fantastic if it works Spyle, I would love to try it out.

Edit 2: It wont work for me. just a command prompt screen with nothing in it. I guess i better download the framework thing

Edit 3: Nope still doesn't wanna work.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Hemlok: Oct 17 2007, 07:20 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spyle
Oct 17 2007, 07:18 AM
Not sure what you saved with the right click =p I accidentally uploaded it to the wrong site at first. The link should work now.

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Oct 17 2007, 07:22 AM
haha yeah, first thing i downloaded was 1kb, this one is 35kb and doesnt work either.

Hmm when i right click it saved a file that was 216kb...

Now it works! Freaking Frets biggrin.gif Very cool Spyle great work

This post has been edited by Hemlok: Oct 17 2007, 07:25 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spyle
Oct 17 2007, 07:24 AM
Ooops mistake #2, uploaded it in ascii hah. Should work now lol /crosses fingers

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 17 2007, 09:13 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Spyle @ Oct 17 2007, 02:24 AM) *
Ooops mistake #2, uploaded it in ascii hah. Should work now lol /crosses fingers

Works great for me, really cool ... cough .... not that I need it of course unsure.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Oct 17 2007, 10:21 AM
I think its about the exact same thing as fret warrior,but it is still cool.Thanks smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
RobM
Oct 17 2007, 10:26 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Oct 17 2007, 04:13 AM) *
Works great for me, really cool ... cough .... not that I need it of course unsure.gif

Big difference and the thing I like a lot about fretboard warrior is that it also makes the sound of the note. That way I can train my ear as well as the location on the fretboard for each note.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 17 2007, 11:44 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (RobM @ Oct 16 2007, 09:26 PM) *
Big difference and the thing I like a lot about fretboard warrior is that it also makes the sound of the note. That way I can train my ear as well as the location on the fretboard for each note.

Fretboard warrior really isnt a good way to train your ear. It can help if you hear an F, and then another F two octaves up for example. But generally, youll recognize that even without training, if you heard the first F. Sound would be a cool addition, but I already like this more than fretboard warrior.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
RobM
Oct 17 2007, 01:35 PM
QUOTE (JVM @ Oct 17 2007, 06:44 AM) *
Fretboard warrior really isnt a good way to train your ear. It can help if you hear an F, and then another F two octaves up for example. But generally, youll recognize that even without training, if you heard the first F. Sound would be a cool addition, but I already like this more than fretboard warrior.

I agree that you would not want to use something like this to solely train your ear but I've grown used to having the sound of the note play each time I'm asked to identify a new note on the fretboard. Sound, more realistic math(it wants the user to identify one note per second on level six) and a better launcher(I have to hit run each time I double click the icon) and I think that would really set this apart from fretboard warrior.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 17 2007, 07:54 PM
Learning Roadie
I agree, one note per second identification is a bit hard when it takes about a second to find the button you want to press biggrin.gif I have it down to about 3 seconds.

What I really love about this one is that it lets you decide which notes you want to show. It would have been really useful for me to have the string and marker only options when i started using fretboard warrior.

This post has been edited by JVM: Oct 17 2007, 07:55 PM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 17 2007, 08:06 PM
Well 30 years of guitar playing and I suck at identifying the notes (I work on relative notes and by ear which works just fine for me!) But this little program has inspired me to do the right thing and learn the fretboard, who knows what it might add to my playing!

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 17 2007, 08:20 PM
Hey I really like this but can I request a minor enhancement please?

Its hard to have just the # notes to pick, I'd like to be able to work in flats as well - can there be a checkbox to flip between sharps, flats and both (well not a checkbox if there are 3 options but you know what I mean!)

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Fabian Schulz
Oct 17 2007, 08:37 PM
Instructor
Great thing smile.gif

Works fine after downloading the .NET Framework 2.0.

This post has been edited by Fabian Schulz: Oct 17 2007, 08:37 PM

--------------------
Guitars: Ibanez RG 2550, Squier Showmaster Jimmy Shine Signature

Amps: Marshall G30R CD Combo, Marshall MG100HDFX Halfstack

Pedals: Digitech DF-7, Boss RC-2, Dunlop Cry Baby

Wishlist: Brunetti XL R-Evo II or Brunetti Mercury EL34 and a Fabian Schulz Signaturemodel by Ibanez :D

Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Spyle
Oct 18 2007, 12:40 AM
Updated it with a few small things. Still no sound though..

Changed goal math a bit, lvl 7-10 are going to be pretty hard.
Added option to change sharp/flat display
Added option to turn columns of frets on/off

+Quote Post
RobM
Oct 18 2007, 01:08 AM
QUOTE (Spyle @ Oct 17 2007, 07:40 PM) *

Plays nice and smooth and I like the options that you added. It's a really good tool.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 18 2007, 01:36 AM
QUOTE (Spyle @ Oct 17 2007, 07:40 PM) *

Thanks, now its even cooler!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Spyle
Oct 18 2007, 04:16 AM
haha ok I'm having too much fun making this thing smile.gif

I've made it so it has 2 modes now.

1. Press corresponding note to fret shown
-or the opposite
2. Press corresponding fret to note shown

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 18 2007, 04:20 AM
QUOTE (Spyle @ Oct 17 2007, 11:16 PM) *
haha ok I'm having too much fun making this thing smile.gif

I've made it so it has 2 modes now.
1. Press corresponding note to fret shown
-or the opposite
2. Press corresponding fret to note shown

I like it! Now its amazingly totally cool! Just add sound and you can sell it for less tha fretboard warrior and make a mint!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
jammer91
Oct 19 2007, 11:34 PM
It has refreshed my note naming skills in 5 minutes.

How did you make this? (is it easy)

Nice job man, you could perk it up a bit and sell it.

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:25 PM