2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Recording Software
n0x
Nov 28 2006, 12:58 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (fretdancer @ Nov 27 2006, 08:14 PM) *
I use a POD XTL to record - I dont think it takes ANY computer resources?...I dont run the sound through the USB though as I did not find that very good - I use the left or right outputs into either "line in" or "mic" inputs into the sound card (you need a lead making up that goes from a standard guitar jack (1/4") to a mini jack (1/8") but you can easily buy these any length you want from ebay for instance. Then make sure that the software you are using is accepting that input as a recording device.

I am sure I am making this sound all horribly complicated but its not, its so simple - its one cable from POD to computer and the POD take up no computer power/bandwith or whatever - its simply an input device with the tone pre shaped. It takes up no more resources than a microphone plugged into your soundcard. In essence, thats all it effectively is.

hehe cheers for the advice biggrin.gif. POD XTL, great piece of equipment init tongue.gif but the prob is im using a laptop with a shitty inbuilt soundcard. How would I get through my pod as a midi device? You can't do that unless you plug in the POD directly via USB device or something similar, correct? I might be wrong, I don't know much about this subject hehe. I've got me one of those transformer jacks that changes from a 1/4" to a 1/8" input for the mic, but it dooesnt work so well with my guitar leads.. Ill get me another one then and ill try it out ;D or better so illt ry find the actual lead.

Rock on! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fretdancer
Nov 28 2006, 10:16 AM
QUOTE (n0x @ Nov 28 2006, 01:58 AM) *
hehe cheers for the advice biggrin.gif. POD XTL, great piece of equipment init tongue.gif but the prob is im using a laptop with a shitty inbuilt soundcard. How would I get through my pod as a midi device? You can't do that unless you plug in the POD directly via USB device or something similar, correct? I might be wrong, I don't know much about this subject hehe. I've got me one of those transformer jacks that changes from a 1/4" to a 1/8" input for the mic, but it dooesnt work so well with my guitar leads.. Ill get me another one then and ill try it out ;D or better so illt ry find the actual lead.

Rock on! biggrin.gif

Re Midi devices...I dont know ANYTHING about midi - I can see the Pod has a midi out so presumably....

as for your experience not working so well - there is a output level selecter at the rear of the Pod XTL - make sure you tweak that - its the little knob that you can barely notice - next to the "left" output.. make sure that is set correctly for your card. Also you can adjust the sound input via the sound settings in control panel and finally make adjustments to the sound you hear in your recording software. It should sound fine - I am sure you will have a mic input - you just need to adjust the levels to get it right. - bear in mind they may be too high and need turning down that may be the problem !! start at zero and work up - you may be getting distrorted sound if the levels are high - in a mic input you dont need high input levels.

Final tip is this - make sure the speakers on your laptop are turned off or down, use a seperate line out to your amp (you have 2, left and right) use one to the puter and one to the amp - DONT listen to your playing throught the computer speakers - only listen through those during playback of the recording. otherwise the "lag" will make it sound really bad if you monitor it live.
monitor your sound as you play through your amp.

hope that helps.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 28 2006, 10:31 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (n0x @ Nov 28 2006, 02:58 AM) *

Rock on! biggrin.gif

To my knowledge - you only need to connect midi devices to the pod if you want to "deep edit" the amp settings (etc.). Most settings can be reached through pod's physical interface - so midi really isn't a must.

For recording you can go through "audio in" on the computer or usb. I'd probably go for usb - not to get loss in sound quality because D/A and A/D (A=analog, D=digital).

--------------------

+Quote Post
PickNGrin
Nov 28 2006, 02:40 PM
When you get into recording, the options and set-ups are endless.
I use n-track studio, at $45.00 it's just an all around great deal and very suitable for a home recording type use like me.
Go to fasoft.com for a FREE trial version --the trial has limitations of course, but it got me hooked enough I bought the whole package and I love it, no regrets, been using it two years.

+Quote Post
n0x
Nov 28 2006, 09:51 PM
Cheers for the tips boys, much appreciated. Hehe yeah, the level knob I got that set pretty low incase it doesnt overdrive my amp.. And i gota switch from "amp" to "line" setting, and the studio setting too.. That bloody PODXTL manual is huge!

So pretty much this is how my setup(s) should be - One lead connected via the POD XTL input to my guitar. As for output (left and right), one cable (left) goes into the amp, and one cable(right) with a 1/8" head plugs into the "microphone" input port on my laptop with my speakers turned off? Unless, I decide to use USB ofcourse. Right? ;o. So, that's 3 guitar cables in total yeh?

I'll give this a try Thursday and i'll let u guys know, and perhaps even record something and upload it here:D. That is, if what was stated above in my post is true. (my setup)

This post has been edited by n0x: Nov 28 2006, 09:58 PM

+Quote Post
fretdancer
Nov 28 2006, 11:18 PM
QUOTE (n0x @ Nov 28 2006, 10:51 PM) *
Cheers for the tips boys, much appreciated. Hehe yeah, the level knob I got that set pretty low incase it doesnt overdrive my amp.. And i gota switch from "amp" to "line" setting, and the studio setting too.. That bloody PODXTL manual is huge!

So pretty much this is how my setup(s) should be - One lead connected via the POD XTL input to my guitar. As for output (left and right), one cable (left) goes into the amp, and one cable(right) with a 1/8" head plugs into the "microphone" input port on my laptop with my speakers turned off? Unless, I decide to use USB ofcourse. Right? ;o. So, that's 3 guitar cables in total yeh?

I'll give this a try Thursday and i'll let u guys know, and perhaps even record something and upload it here:D. That is, if what was stated above in my post is true. (my setup)

How you describe it is pretty much exactly how I am set up - I record into Adobe Audition, in that program there is a line goes right accross the bottom of the screen which displays the "input level" so you can pretty much set the output of the POD to match the desired level on screen and off you go. I have put a couple of recordings in the uploads board previously and so you can hear how it sounds from the way I do it. I am pretty happy with how simple it all works.
Adobe audition saves recordings as MP3's and you can add backing tracks, even have the backing track play through the computer speakers as you record (to do that you need to turn off monitor input in the advanced sound settings through control panel so you dont hear your guitar becuase of the lag)

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 3 2006, 08:37 PM
GMC Founder
Good thread with lots of information! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
n0x
Dec 5 2006, 10:43 AM
Indeed biggrin.gif

Adobe audition - Is that a recording software, or is it only used for "editing" tracks, etc. ?

Is it free? Where can I get it?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:35 AM