The Recording Light Turns On, And Suddenly The Fear Kicks In..
leonard478
Jun 7 2013, 10:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
tongue.gif So im sure many of you have experienced this, its funny say im improvising over a blues tune, and i turn on the record button and somehow my chops and phrasing diminish. Yet if i were to improvise on stage or in public i wouldnt be half as bad. something about that stupid record button drives me up the wall. Lately i noticed that if i have some kind of candy or gum in my mouth while im recording i tend to relax much more. But i would love to hear some of your experiences about this kind of recording nervousness, how you overcame it, and anything you could recommend smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
Jun 7 2013, 11:08 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (leonard478 @ Jun 7 2013, 10:34 PM) *
tongue.gif So im sure many of you have experienced this, its funny say im improvising over a blues tune, and i turn on the record button and somehow my chops and phrasing diminish. Yet if i were to improvise on stage or in public i wouldnt be half as bad. something about that stupid record button drives me up the wall. Lately i noticed that if i have some kind of candy or gum in my mouth while im recording i tend to relax much more. But i would love to hear some of your experiences about this kind of recording nervousness, how you overcame it, and anything you could recommend smile.gif

yeah, happens to me as well rolleyes.gif I also find that if Im recording something quite well with no mistakes I start to get more tense as I get closer to the end.... which tends to make me screw up!
The only thing Ive done to try and ease that has been just to let the recording keep going. Instead of stopping recording when I make a mistake I just keep recording and play it again. I might end up with a 10 minute recording and a 2 minute ( half decent ) solo within it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
leonard478
Jun 7 2013, 11:23 PM
Learning Rock Star
laugh.gif laugh.gif man the 'getting more tense the better you're doing' is what usually kills me hahaha , halfway through the song i'll literally be like shit im donig so good..dont screw up dont screw up dont screw up.. and then of course the inevitable happens
QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 7 2013, 10:08 PM) *
yeah, happens to me as well rolleyes.gif I also find that if Im recording something quite well with no mistakes I start to get more tense as I get closer to the end.... which tends to make me screw up!
The only thing Ive done to try and ease that has been just to let the recording keep going. Instead of stopping recording when I make a mistake I just keep recording and play it again. I might end up with a 10 minute recording and a 2 minute ( half decent ) solo within it.

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jun 8 2013, 12:10 AM
Theory Instructor
When I first started out I always felt fine on stage but tightened up in the recording room, which should be the opposite since everything live is one take and in the booth we can just redo the take or edit out the clams right? I was never sure why I felt more nervous about recording than playing live, but over time I began to enjoy both. I realized that if I make a mistake on a recording I can just go in and edit it or record a new take if I want, and after that I started to really enjoy it. Maybe try picturing yourself on stage when you record, ignore the room and visualize a live show rather than a booth. That might help get you in the right head space to record a solid take and not fret about it.

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 8 2013, 12:17 AM
Instructor
This is something that most of us experience at one moment. The solution to this problem, in my case, and in many other that I have been talking about is PRACTICE. Doing it many times until you feel comfortable with the red light is the key. If you do this everyday you will then be used to that and you won't feel nervous.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 8 2013, 05:12 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 7 2013, 04:17 PM) *
The solution to this problem is PRACTICE.

+1

Always have the 'record' button on. Practice sessions, rehearsals, ALL gigs. You'll loosen up.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 8 2013, 06:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 8 2013, 01:12 PM) *
+1

Always have the 'record' button on. Practice sessions, rehearsals, ALL gigs. You'll loosen up.

Then you'll feel nervous if the button isn't on... laugh.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 9 2013, 02:55 PM
Instructor
Hehe, aside from practicing, there is one more aspect:

We all tend to think that our recording will automatically be judged by someone who KNOWS exactly what we did and what we TRIED to do and will know we haven't played it EXACTLY as we heard it in our head smile.gif

Actually, at a second glance, we all know that things are so relative! Nobody knows what you wanted to play, but you smile.gif Make sure - BY PRACTICING - that you acquired all the abilities necessary to expose your idea in it's shiniest form and that feeling of discomfort will go away!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 9 2013, 04:28 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 9 2013, 06:55 AM) *
We all tend to think that our recording will automatically be judged by someone who KNOWS exactly what we did and what we TRIED to do and will know we haven't played it EXACTLY as we heard it in our head smile.gif

Actually, at a second glance, we all know that things are so relative! Nobody knows what you wanted to play, but you.

Excellent point Cosmin!
I call that the curse of your intent.
Which is why when I do record things - whether it's for me or anybody else - I don't listen for at least 24 hours.
I never listen in my car on the way home from a session (or a gig).
I need to forget my intent ... and just listen to the music I actually made.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 9 2013, 06:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 9 2013, 10:55 AM) *
Hehe, aside from practicing, there is one more aspect:

Actually, at a second glance, we all know that things are so relative! Nobody knows what you wanted to play, but you smile.gif Make sure - BY PRACTICING - that you acquired all the abilities necessary to expose your idea in it's shiniest form and that feeling of discomfort will go away!

Very good addition Cosmin! This is what makes out minds block and finally something that we should enjoy can become a bad experience. Enjoy and as the great band used to say, "Let it be".

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 10 2013, 09:03 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 9 2013, 05:08 PM) *
Very good addition Cosmin! This is what makes out minds block and finally something that we should enjoy can become a bad experience. Enjoy and as the great band used to say, "Let it be".

This 'Let it be' is so difficult in every general aspect of our lives.. ain't it?

Once you are done, the urge of listening is so big! Especially if the recording is for someone else and you want to make sure you came up with the best you could smile.gif

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jun 10 2013, 10:09 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 10 2013, 10:03 AM) *
This 'Let it be' is so difficult in every general aspect of our lives.. ain't it?

Once you are done, the urge of listening is so big! Especially if the recording is for someone else and you want to make sure you came up with the best you could smile.gif

Interesting thread...I certainly fall into the category like Bleez and Leonard..tightening up when the going seems good on a Rec take. Its true what you said Cosmin...this follows through in different aspects of life. A good example for me is my Artwork: when I draw on expensive paper...I tend to make errors that I don't when I draw on copy paper. The only comparison I could do to keeping the record button on is always draw on expensive paper...My problem is is that i usually draw in an 'Improvisational' way to let the good things come out...to get Mojo flowing....The results can go both ways..it could be expensive...I tend to always draw on cheap paper as a result. ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 11 2013, 08:45 AM
Instructor
I can SO understand you man biggrin.gif When I was very young - around 1st grade I think... My grandma used to rip off the pages in my notebook and make me work on my calligraphy assignment from the beginning, each time I made a mistake. Honestly, I was so scared of that, that I kept making mistakes over and over. When my dad came and he said 'no, he should finish his homework even if it has mistakes' I felt so relieved. But then he said - ok, let's see - you have a problem here and here - work on this a little bit more aside from the actual homework. The result? I could make the homework that involved that particular thing without making mistakes and without being scared that my grandma would come and rip off the page laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 14 2013, 09:11 PM
Don't fret smile.gif It's normal. Just another part of the process. Just like most things related to guitar, it's often about "time spent" on the instrument/related activities. Even if nobody is watching, the RECORD BUTTON CAN CAUSE STAGE FRIGHT smile.gif

The pressure of "oh gooodness, I better not mess up!" is actually wrecking your creativity. As you do it more and more you'll get desensitized to it. You gotta get your "RECORDING LEGS" just like you gotta work to get your "STAGE LEGS". Practice makes perfect as they say smile.gif

The good news is, once you get over that hump, the record button can be your best pal smile.gif It represents a chance to finally put all the endless hours of practice to their final purpose, making music smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (leonard478 @ Jun 7 2013, 05:34 PM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:13 PM