> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

15 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Vonhotch's Musical Journey, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 30 2012, 06:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Nov 29 2012, 02:24 PM) *
This is good. Sometimes it feels like it takes FOREVER to remember a whole piece of music, and sometimes I can remeber it after only a couple times. smile.gif

yeah, I also find some pieces easier to remember than other ones...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Dec 15 2012, 06:26 PM
GMC:er
Hey man! Feels like forever since I had a video for you. smile.gif I think I have been putting a bit too much pressure on myself to do a certain amount by a certain time and lost a bit of the fun. But I have let go of some of my expections on myself and found some of the fun again, because that's what it's all about right. wink.gif So anyway. The arpeggios are over a drum track/metronome track at 80 bpm. I decided starting out working over my backing track was a bit ambitious. The second video is not over the lessons backing track but over the same drum/metronome track as the arpeggios at 70bpm. I haven't got the timing of the backing track down yet. And the other lesson you gave me I am still working on learning. I still can't seem to remember it all the way through. mad.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by vonhotch: Dec 15 2012, 06:27 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 16 2012, 06:58 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! These two lessons are going very well, I think that you are one the right way with these ones. Just keep on practising them every day. I understand what you say about pressure and losing motivation... this is very normal. I thing that we should add more creative moments to your overall routine.. maybe some more musical lessons, improvisation, composition, collaborations and things like that, what do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Dec 17 2012, 02:28 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 16 2012, 05:58 PM) *
Hi mate! These two lessons are going very well, I think that you are one the right way with these ones. Just keep on practising them every day. I understand what you say about pressure and losing motivation... this is very normal. I thing that we should add more creative moments to your overall routine.. maybe some more musical lessons, improvisation, composition, collaborations and things like that, what do you think?

I like the Idea of more creative things. I love collabs, and improv. I also enjoy the lessons and the progress I am making doing what I am doing. I wish I had more time to practice and I'm concerned that if I add more I will have to leave something out. Part of my stress has been fitting everything in every day. In the end I trust your guidance, so whatever you think is best I will do my best, and follow your advice. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 17 2012, 02:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Dec 16 2012, 10:28 PM) *
I like the Idea of more creative things. I love collabs, and improv. I also enjoy the lessons and the progress I am making doing what I am doing. I wish I had more time to practice and I'm concerned that if I add more I will have to leave something out. Part of my stress has been fitting everything in every day. In the end I trust your guidance, so whatever you think is best I will do my best, and follow your advice. smile.gif

How many time do you have for practicing every day?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Dec 18 2012, 02:49 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 17 2012, 01:04 PM) *
How many time do you have for practicing every day?

I get between 1 to 2 hours a day. The more I thought about it today the more I realized that maybe I wasn't doing too much but it was just a point where I had too much to learn and remember all at one time. Now that I have most of what I'm working on mostly memorized, practicing is going smoother, quicker, more productive feeling.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 18 2012, 01:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Dec 17 2012, 10:49 PM) *
I get between 1 to 2 hours a day. The more I thought about it today the more I realized that maybe I wasn't doing too much but it was just a point where I had too much to learn and remember all at one time. Now that I have most of what I'm working on mostly memorized, practicing is going smoother, quicker, more productive feeling.

Well, 2 hours a day is ok if you are very well organized. You should divide your time in blocks and dedicate each block to one topic. At this point 3/4 of the blocks should be dedicated to technique, the other one could be dedicated to something more creative, jamming, composing or even learning a new chord / scale and experiment with it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Dec 18 2012, 06:27 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 18 2012, 12:59 PM) *
Well, 2 hours a day is ok if you are very well organized. You should divide your time in blocks and dedicate each block to one topic. At this point 3/4 of the blocks should be dedicated to technique, the other one could be dedicated to something more creative, jamming, composing or even learning a new chord / scale and experiment with it.

So, I should divide it up by skills instead of assignments or lessons like I have been? I will make sure to set time aside for creativity!
I try to be organized as possible I have all the backing tracks of what I am working on saved as seperate files in my DAW so when I move to the next thing I just open that file and all my settings are there and I don't have to mess with loading a track and patches and effects. I found that saves me alot of time each night.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 18 2012, 07:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Dec 18 2012, 02:27 PM) *
So, I should divide it up by skills instead of assignments or lessons like I have been? I will make sure to set time aside for creativity!
I try to be organized as possible I have all the backing tracks of what I am working on saved as seperate files in my DAW so when I move to the next thing I just open that file and all my settings are there and I don't have to mess with loading a track and patches and effects. I found that saves me alot of time each night.

yeah, you can divide in 4 blocks. It would be something like this...

1. Previous lessons learnt
2. New Lesson in progress
3. Another new lesson in progress
4. Creative work

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Dec 23 2012, 06:30 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 18 2012, 06:53 PM) *
yeah, you can divide in 4 blocks. It would be something like this...

1. Previous lessons learnt
2. New Lesson in progress
3. Another new lesson in progress
4. Creative work

I have liked thinking of my time in blocks like this for the past few days. It feels like I am able to fit in so much more in the same time.

As for video.....My computer was being a bit of a wad today! mad.gif I need to upgrade SOON. So I only have these two. The first one the single string etude lesson, I am begining to get the rhythm of the backing. It helped when I realized I was leaving out an entire section. laugh.gif This take is at 70%. The second the alt picking etude I finally am able to remeber and am working it up to speed with my metronome/drum track thingy. Thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 24 2012, 07:08 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Good job on this two lessons! I think that you are on the way track with both. One short comment about the single string etude, try to mute a bit more the string with the palm of your right hand to get a closer to the original lesson sound and also pay attention to the timing of the fretted notes..

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Dec 30 2012, 05:03 PM
Hey Gab! Happy almost new year. It has been great learning from you this past year. I am looking forward to lots more progress in the new year!!!!!! I think my timing is better in this video and I palm muted it. It is at 80% this week.

Here is the arpeggios assignment in the progression you said to work up to. It's pretty obvious they need some more work. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 30 2012, 06:59 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Good job on this two videos. The palm muting is much better now in the riffing lesson, now it's time to adjust even more your timing on this one. Regarding the arpeggios, keep on practising these ones and try to create melodies combining the arpeggio's notes horizontally in the neck. Also you can work over this progression: Am - Dm. 4 beats per chords and following each chord with its arpeggio.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Dec 30 2012, 09:46 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 30 2012, 05:59 PM) *
Hi mate! Good job on this two videos. The palm muting is much better now in the riffing lesson, now it's time to adjust even more your timing on this one. Regarding the arpeggios, keep on practising these ones and try to create melodies combining the arpeggio's notes horizontally in the neck. Also you can work over this progression: Am - Dm. 4 beats per chords and following each chord with its arpeggio.

Something like play an arpeggio and then some notes from the arpeggio in a pattern to connect them? And also do you think we could work on some kind of creative song writing thing also? Working with my practice time in blocks like you suggested has left me with the time to write stuff, but I have yet to ever complete a whole song. I think once I complete the first one they will start to get easier. I have some bits and pieces but for some reason I can not put one whole song together. I have also found myself listening to all sorts of different aspects of songs, like I will hear a song and say "man I like how they mixed those vocals to sound like they come from all different angles." or "I really like the sound of those drums." I heard some Metallica on the radio, specifically "Master of puppets", "The one", and "Ain't my bithch" and I really like the sound of Lar's drums. How do you analyze parts of music like that to figure out why it's something you like or how they do it, or why it's so good? Obviously I can't get that sound with easydrummer but how do you anazlyze the mixing and tones of music?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 30 2012, 11:12 PM
Instructor
That sounds very interesting! I use to analyse music all the time. The first step would be to understand in an easy and applicable mode, what is happening in your favourite songs. This is a template that I give to my students to use as the base to analyse songs. The idea is to write down all the analysis in order to be able to compare songs and define which are the things that make you to like a song... at the same time this analysis give you tools to start your own songs, combining things from different songs or just using one concept (for example an structure or a chord progression) as an starting point.

Creativity Work:

Name of the song:
Name of the band:

Structure // What is happening? // Chords & Scales

Structure: You will divide the tune in Intro - Riff - Verse - Pre chorus- - Chorus - Solo - Part C and so... You can add the letters A, B, C to the sections when you find different ones in the same tune (Ex: Verse A, Verse B, Chorus, Solo A, Solo)

what is happening?: Here you will describe each part. You can explain how is the part, if it has vocals, screams, melodies, harmonizations, how much is last, how many measures, etc. Every information that could be useful to understand the part.

Chords & Scales: Here you will post the tonality, the chord progression and the scales used for the melodies and solos.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Dec 31 2012, 12:30 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 30 2012, 10:12 PM) *
That sounds very interesting! I use to analyse music all the time. The first step would be to understand in an easy and applicable mode, what is happening in your favourite songs. This is a template that I give to my students to use as the base to analyse songs. The idea is to write down all the analysis in order to be able to compare songs and define which are the things that make you to like a song... at the same time this analysis give you tools to start your own songs, combining things from different songs or just using one concept (for example an structure or a chord progression) as an starting point.

Creativity Work:

Name of the song:
Name of the band:

Structure: You will divide the tune in Intro - Riff - Verse - Pre chorus- - Chorus - Solo - Part C and so... You can add the letters A, B, C to the sections when you find different ones in the same tune (Ex: Verse A, Verse B, Chorus, Solo A, Solo)

what is happening?: Here you will describe each part. You can explain how is the part, if it has vocals, screams, melodies, harmonizations, how much is last, how many measures, etc. Every information that could be useful to understand the part.

Chords & Scales: Here you will post the tonality, the chord progression and the scales used for the melodies and solos.

This is very cool. I will pick a song and post it. And get a notebook so I can compare, and keep notes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 31 2012, 08:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Dec 30 2012, 08:30 PM) *
This is very cool. I will pick a song and post it. And get a notebook so I can compare, and keep notes.

Exactly!! Looking forward your analysis! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jan 4 2013, 01:37 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 31 2012, 07:27 PM) *
Exactly!! Looking forward your analysis! smile.gif

Hey, I have almost finished my analysis of the song I picked which is "Ruins" by Wolves carry my name. It was the song that got me into the band and It was one of my FAVORITE albums. I love their style. I wanted to start with something easier and work up. My transcribing needs work. Anyway I am kind of excited about how it was going and how cool the riff in this song is once I learned it. I will post my final analysis this weekend with my videos. I am so glad I am doing this. I hope after this song I can analize some of their other songs. Thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 4 2013, 01:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Jan 3 2013, 09:37 PM) *
Hey, I have almost finished my analysis of the song I picked which is "Ruins" by Wolves carry my name. It was the song that got me into the band and It was one of my FAVORITE albums. I love their style. I wanted to start with something easier and work up. My transcribing needs work. Anyway I am kind of excited about how it was going and how cool the riff in this song is once I learned it. I will post my final analysis this weekend with my videos. I am so glad I am doing this. I hope after this song I can analize some of their other songs. Thanks!

This sounds great mate! I'm glad to know that you are enjoying the analysis! smile.gif You will see this reflected in your own compositions soon!

The atmosphere on this track is killer! The structure... very original. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jan 6 2013, 05:46 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 30 2012, 10:12 PM) *
Creativity Work:

Name of the song:
Name of the band:

Hey man, sorry no vids today. I got a bit of a pain in the back of my hand last night while practicing, and it was still feeling a bit uncomfortable warming up today. So I decided to take it easy, ice it, and live to fight another day. You will be happy to know though that I am gonna spend my practicing time working on some drum beats and other things, analyzing the chord changes in Cosmin's collab to try to come up with some ideas. So it won't be a complete waste. smile.gif

BUT I do still have the long anticipate analysis for "Ruins" by Wolves carry my name. The atmosphere is really what drew me into it in the first place.

STRUCTURE: I'm not really sure if this is really a verse/chorus type thing so I am just going to refer to it as parts A,B,C. It has 3 distinct parts.

WHAT IS HAPPENING A: starts slow building the atmosphere and setting the tonic of C min with a chord progression of C5 , E5. It also has some great volume swells that really build the mood.
B: Takes the feeling of part A and builds on it adding in the main guitar theme. Which is a progression of C5, D*,Eb*,D*,Bb5,Eb5,F5. (* were what I thought to be played as octaves and not 5 chords.) Vocals are also added in this part. Growls are used, but seem to be used more for atmosphere again rather than a main vocal part. The vocals seem to be almost used in an instrumental kind of way.
C: Builds on the first 2 parts even more, and uses a variation of the riff in part B. By changing the rhythm it almost sounds like a new part completely. There is also a slight change in the progression of the riff as it changes between C5, D*, Eb*, D*, Bb5, Eb5, F5, and C5, D*, Eb*, F*, Bb5, Eb5, F5. Finally resolving to C5
The whole song is about atmosphere and mood. Each part building on the next. It really has a sense of movement, it flows to a peak and then finally resolves and ends.

CHORDS AND SCALES I guess I included this a little above, but It's in C minor. There were no solos.

Hope I got everything. This was fun there are so many things I learn about music that I get so excited makes me feel like a kid again. smile.gif Hope that never goes away.

--------------------

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:16 PM