3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Mith's First Custom, And my first build
Mith
Oct 27 2014, 11:38 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
So Today was my first day of my guitar building course. Spend the Morning drawing our designs. Ive gone for a modern super strat. Have to admit the plans wern't that bad. Even easier if your having a recessed floyd (No neck angle). After that The body got Planed and then got marked with a center line and then the body template was traced onto the wood. That was then cut out with a band saw then the whole thing was thickness sand down to size.

The same procedure was followed for the neck. Then I moved onto the frets. all the fret dots were marked and then drilled and then I did the same for the top of the board (man those ones are hard but I totally got them spot on) then the inlays (black mother of pearl) were dropped into the fretboard.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 27 2014, 02:59 PM
GMC:er
Very cool.
That looks like fun!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 27 2014, 04:27 PM
Looking good Mith!!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 27 2014, 09:08 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
this is so cool! I would totally sign up for something like this.
Keep posting up progress pics if you can dude, Its interesting to see them.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 28 2014, 10:56 AM
Ok Big day today. Sanded and radius ed the fingerboard. Cut truss rod channel, Glued fingerboard on. Cut checks out of the neck to glue to the sides to make the headstock wider. clamped and glued that. Planed it all down flush again. Marked out headstock design (what do ya think, kinda of a more aggressive PRS style one) cut that out.

For the body that was cut out on the bandsaw then the shape was pinwheeled out. and then the top recess added and then the belly recess done. Then lots of sanding. After that picked out a laminate (got me some really great looking quilted maple. Pic doesn't do it justice) that was book matched and the glued and vacuumed to the body.

Last job for the day was I radius ed the fretwire and cut it into lengths

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 29 2014, 03:07 AM
Very cool stuff!! She's looking good!! What color are you going for i the stain?

+Quote Post
Hexabuzz
Oct 29 2014, 03:20 AM
I would love to do something like this...

I've always had the urge (but not the courage) to get a body and a neck from Warmoth and take a shot at putting together a guitar...

You've obviously taken this much further...

Good luck!

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 29 2014, 11:25 AM
Well today the frets where installed and dressed. The neck was then cut down to size. Body was sanded (OMG so much sanding) the neck pocket was then cut (tightest neck pocket you will ever find) and the a dry fit done.

Still thinking of the stain, so far I'm thinking of going all natural with it since the quilted top shimmers amazingly. Tho someone has suggested purple. tough since I don't have a natural looking guitar or a purple one. Shes going to be oiled finish. not as hardy as poly but its lightning fast and some recon it sounds better

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 29 2014, 12:01 PM
Also turns out I fractured my foot 2 days ago so I've been doing all this standing on one leg. Maybe I should make a living out of this lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 30 2014, 04:23 PM
Its starting to look alot like a guitar now. The body was completely routed out and the neck was shaved down to size. body was sanded. Man shaving down a rock maple neck is hard work. you have no idea how hard that stuff is until you need to work on it. Looking forward to hearing it. so far rock maple is my fav neck, there is just something about that really solid feel too it.

Attached image(s)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 31 2014, 12:18 PM
Well today was staining and putting on clear coats. Tomorrow I'll be finishing her all up so I'll save most the pics until then but here one one for anyone that is a bit interested in this build. Its the headstock with my logo on it

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 31 2014, 05:53 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
headstock looks cool cool.gif
so have you decided on purple or natural ?

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Mith
Nov 1 2014, 12:50 AM
I went for a finish that looked a little like dark water. Do black, blue and a hint of purple. Still not 100% on the finish but i'm wiring and setting it up today and think about it for a week or 2. Its only a weekend job to refinish it anyway

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 1 2014, 03:48 PM
Instructor
Hi Myth!!! Congratulations on this amazing work! Your guitar is looking really good. I love the maple used for the body top, it looks very nice and it reminds me a bit to my new guitar (the customized one Lojo). I also like the prs style head, it makes it look very modern.

Great to know that you finally decided to go for a darker color, I'm sure that it will fit great with that shape and maple. Remember that maple makes it look much lighter so if you go for black, the color will end up like a grey.

Have you already bought the pick ups, tuners and bridge? Which ones?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 1 2014, 07:52 PM
Instructor
Looks like a sort of a hybrid between a strat and a PRS style headstock biggrin.gif Great adventure man! Hope you will get the most out of it wink.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 2 2014, 09:40 AM
GMC Founder
Oh my blink.gif I ... want ... that ... guitar

What a cool thing to do Mith, and what a killer choice of woods and body shape. Thanks so much for letting us follow you on this journey!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mith
Nov 2 2014, 02:10 PM
Yeah I was going for a 80's style guitar but with a modern vibe. I really like that era of guitar design. More of the principle of working out ways of pushing the instrument to its limits. Anyway Its all together and up and running. Photos hardly do it justice. Its also had one more polish after that photo too. The thing sounds amazing.

As for the finish what I did was mix black blue and purple stain together and apply it to the quilted top. different parts absorb at different rates and amounts so after about 5 minutes I then wipe the top down with turps to give it a wash look and that gives you the finish you see there.

All in all it came out great. I plan on doing more building I think. Never know maybe one day people might want to by guitars with my name on it hehehehe

All she needs now is a name

Attached image(s)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Nov 2 2014, 05:18 PM
Whoa!!!! That looks really stunning Mith!! Congrats on your first build and may there be many more!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Mith
Nov 3 2014, 09:26 AM
Thanks, I'm already tossing around ideas in my head. Thinking something a bit more modern looking. I think I might try my hand at some binding too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 6 2014, 12:11 AM
Spiff! When can we see some vids / recordings made with it? Also, how thick/thin is the neck?

QUOTE (Mith @ Nov 3 2014, 04:26 AM) *
Thanks, I'm already tossing around ideas in my head. Thinking something a bit more modern looking. I think I might try my hand at some binding too.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:07 AM