Learning To Sing
RyanAW
Jul 17 2007, 12:09 AM
GMC:er
Hey GMC!

Lately I've been trying to learn how to sing but I have found that I really have no skill in it at all wink.gif . I was hoping I could get a few pointers.

I have also checked out the singing lessons. They are very good smile.gif. I hope that there will be more comming.

Ryan

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 17 2007, 12:15 AM
Hmm, I dont know about any excersises, except for Lucianas lessons. I just sing along to Songs. But some people might sing quite good instantly and others might need to train their voice, dunno.

Try to sing along to some easy songs that doesnt go too high, its really fun! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Luciana Segovia
Jul 17 2007, 12:35 AM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (RyanAW @ Jul 17 2007, 12:09 AM) *
Hey GMC!

Lately I've been trying to learn how to sing but I have found that I really have no skill in it at all wink.gif . I was hoping I could get a few pointers.

I have also checked out the singing lessons. They are very good smile.gif. I hope that there will be more comming.

Ryan

ohmy.gif
Ryan: Don't worry!!! I am doing very basic singing lessons for GMC students. I suggest you to practice every lessons day by day, and i promise that you'll note the improvement of your voice.
Be patient and keep on practicing!! wink.gif

pd: you can ask me whatever you want... remember that!

This post has been edited by Luciana: Jul 17 2007, 12:58 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pantalaimon
Jul 17 2007, 05:42 AM
QUOTE (RyanAW @ Jul 16 2007, 06:09 PM) *
Hey GMC!

Ryan

"Pointers" is a rather braod term. In order to give you pointers, I'd need to know what areas in singing you're having trouble in. Just for the sake of answering this post...I'll try to answer the most basic and common area of difficulty:

I'm having trouble hearing a pitch and being able to reproduce it
This is an ability that seems to just come naturally to some (those they call "talented" in singing). No one really knows how they can do it, but for some people, it's just simple to hear a note and reproduce it with their voice. For others it's not so easy, but this is really nothing to worry about. If you have a piano/keyboard at home, try playing a note on the keyboard that you think is in your vocal range and try to reproduce it. Hold the note as you sing if that helps. Practice just one note at a time for a while. Once you feel like you can hear the note and reproduce it without holding the piano key, you're ready to try two notes ascending. I suggest sticking with Full note intervals (tones as Andrew would call them) initially as it is easier to hear the difference between tones. Soon you'll be able to do three or five notes in a row, going up and down the scale.
If you want, you could even try practicing your singing as you are warming up on guitar. Play a major scale slowly and try to reproduce each note with your voice as you play them. This is a great way to warm up both the voice and the fingers at the same time. Granted - this warmup is slightly more advances than Luciana's singing lessons, but it really is a wonderful exercise if you think you can do it.

Personally I have two vocal warmups that I do every day - I'll share the first one with you: go up a major scale then back down, but with a couple variations. To illustrate this, I'm going to use the example that I am singing a C major scale:
My vocal warmup would go like this ascending - C, D, E, F, E, F, G, A, G, A, B, C, D
and like this descending - D, C, B, A, B, A, G, F, G, F, E, D, C
notice that I italicized the variations from a normal ascending/descending major scale. I go back a note when I hit the fourth and the sixth note in the scale then continue ascending up the scale. The same goes in the opposite direction.

Hope that helped a little smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear:
~Schecter C-1+ (black cherry) w/ Duncan Designed PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Fender Mexican Stratocaster (black) w/ stock PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Jasmine by Takamine acoustic (kinda crappy - $90)
~Fender Frontman 25R amp.
~Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive pedal
~Dan-Ecko pedal

+Quote Post
RyanAW
Jul 17 2007, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the help everyone biggrin.gif

There are a few problems I am running into though.
I have a pretty deep voice and can't hit higher notes. How can I widen my range of singing?
Also, I sometimes find it hard to control my voice while playing guitar. How can I gain control?

I appreciate the help smile.gif
Ryan

+Quote Post
Luciana Segovia
Jul 17 2007, 02:53 PM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (RyanAW @ Jul 17 2007, 06:32 AM) *

I have a pretty deep voice and can't hit higher notes. How can I widen my range of singing?
Also, I sometimes find it hard to control my voice while playing guitar. How can I gain control?

Ryan

Ryan: the best way to widen your range is warming up with scales like Pantalaimon said. It's boring, i know... but it's perfect to do not forcing your larynx, because you will ascending note by note. Be careful, you must ascending one note by day...ok?? if you have any other question... please , let me know.

--------------------

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Jul 17 2007, 03:29 PM
QUOTE (RyanAW @ Jul 16 2007, 07:09 PM) *
Hey GMC!

Ryan

You have to learn to tain your voice just like you would learn guitar.I m not a singer but i look at singing just as i do other instruments you practice and train just like you would anything else.If people just all of a sudden could sing everybody would do it,but its the people that are determined and work at it that get it smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
RyanAW
Jul 17 2007, 07:29 PM
Thanks again everyone!

Luciana: What do you plan on for your music lessons in the future, and will they get more advanced as they go or will they continued to be on the basics of singing?

+Quote Post
Pantalaimon
Jul 17 2007, 07:43 PM
QUOTE (RyanAW @ Jul 17 2007, 12:32 AM) *

Ryan

Remember to always stay within your range. Different people have different voices and therefore have different vocal ranges. When you're warming up or doing vocal exercises, do not strain your voice - as Luciana said...with practice, slow practice, your voice will adapt to the higher notes and after a while you'll be able to hit them.
By the way...when I do warmups or exercises, I like to start on the low-middle end of my range and go higher, Do NOT start an exercise on the lowest note you can hit! If you want to practice the lower notes, just go lower than your starting note when you are descending.

Also, you may already know this...but men have two voices (Women do too sort of but it's much more noticable with men). One voice derives its power from the diaphragm (a muscle located at the bottom of the rib-cage that constricts the lungs upward pushing air out of them). This is your normal voice. The other voice is called your "Falsetto" voice, or your "head" voice. This one is the one that most people would say "makes a guy sound like a girl." My advice to you is this: don't try to hit every note in your diaphragm voice - if you need to, use falsetto. Granted you probably want to train your voice so that you can hit higher notes with the more powerful diaphragm voice, but take it slow, and until you can hit a high note comfortably with your normal voice, use falsetto.

As for control...I find a bit of difficulty myself in that field. When attempting to sing and play guitar at the same time, I always try to learn one of the two so well that I can do it without thinking about it, so that my attention can mainly be on the other. For example, I'd learn a guitar riff so well that I can do it in my sleep - that way I can concentrate on hitting vocal notes and enunciating the words and simply let my fingers do the guitar work (with minimal attention).

--------------------
My Gear:
~Schecter C-1+ (black cherry) w/ Duncan Designed PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Fender Mexican Stratocaster (black) w/ stock PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Jasmine by Takamine acoustic (kinda crappy - $90)
~Fender Frontman 25R amp.
~Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive pedal
~Dan-Ecko pedal

+Quote Post
RyanAW
Jul 19 2007, 06:56 PM
So...
I should always stay in my range, and it will start to expand on its own?

And I don't really know what my range is right now. If i start trying to sing outside my range could it damage my voice.

Everyone has been a huge help to me. I was thinking that there could be a forum section just for singing questions/discussion. Sound like a good idea?

+Quote Post
Kaneda
Jul 20 2007, 01:49 AM
Other side of the coin
QUOTE (RyanAW @ Jul 19 2007, 07:56 PM) *
So...
I should always stay in my range, and it will start to expand on its own?

And I don't really know what my range is right now. If i start trying to sing outside my range could it damage my voice.

You won't damage it by slowly going upwards (with some of Luciana's exercises, for example), and finding where it stops. Just don't try to force it higher smile.gif Warming up properly is necessary before going to the extremes of the register in any event - both high and low. It's just as damaging to strain for low notes as for high ones. And don't try to sing your highest note as loud as you can. The more air you use, the more strain.

And yes, if you do exercises inside your range, you'll eventually expand it. Much like lifting weights or training speed on guitar - you won't get faster by starting out with sixteenth triplets at 180bpm, rather, you slowly build speed working up from, say, 60bpm, and at some point, fast gets easier. Build control in your current range, and eventually, you'll be able to reach higher (and lower) notes, because the muscles in and around your vocal folds (and hopefully your breathing) have been trained. Rarely an immense amount of notes, but some. And no, you won't get more by straining after that wink.gif

About voices (registers)... Men (and women) really have three, rather than two, although one of them people don't agree on. The third would be the whistle register, which pretty much sounds as when a child makes that high pitched scream children are so (in)famous for... It is possible to learn to sing in that one too (although without actual words), but it's rarely exactly pleasant to listen to. Mostly, it's used for effect, or just to reach a note outside even your falsetto range. It's also hard on your voice smile.gif A side note: Falsetto can be used to beautiful effect too - it's not just a "cop out" for when you can't reach a note in the chest register.

Some would even say we have four registers, since many people when they first start out, actually have a break in the middle of their "chest" range, lower than the break into falsetto. Training to smooth out those breaks are a good thing to exercise for a rock singer smile.gif

Mostly when you speak of range, you count only the chest register, which tends to be between two and three octaves.

This post has been edited by Kaneda: Jul 20 2007, 02:04 AM

+Quote Post
RyanAW
Aug 5 2007, 10:13 PM
Hey, thanks for the help everyone,

I will continue practicing and post if I have any further questions.

Thanks for the help,

Ryan

+Quote Post
Luciana Segovia
Aug 17 2007, 11:49 PM
Singing Instructor
Hey!

Pay attention to the next singing lesson( number 5), because it will help a lot for people who don't have the ability to reproduce with the voices the same sound they want .......

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:39 AM