2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Wedding Rings/guitarists...., Do they mix?
derper
Apr 19 2012, 09:46 PM
Learning Tone Master
I'm engaged now, and my girl got me a temporary ring. I hate wearing rings, but started to get used to it after a few days.

But, I absolutely CANNOT play guitar with it on!! Especially on my Parker Nitefly which has a carbon-composite encased neck, so just touching the neck with the ringed hand, was making an awful "tap/scratch/DON'T FREAKIN' DO THIS TO ME MAN! I"M YOUR GUITAR!!" noise. Also, the frets are tall, and edged differently than most guitars...very ring unfriendly!

Yesterday, it got caught on a pinball machine (Sopranos!) while playing. This is my frethand, third finger...one of my favorite!! I know a guy that LOST A FINGER to a ring in high school! It got caught in the basketball hoop net while playing, and lets say that when he came down from that jump, his finger didn't.

I am now SCARED to wear a ring! It feels awful and un-natural. Any ideas? I might have to get a "tattoo" ring, which I didn't want, but I'd rather do that as opposed to risking the life of my guitar finger, with a ring that could get caught on something!! I'm an active person!!

Help GMC!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Apr 19 2012, 09:52 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Wow man, it's quite a problem... Reading everything you wrote here makes me think that wearing ring is indeed lethal! biggrin.gif I didn't think it was that big of a problem... after all, Yngwie Malmsteen wears all sorts of jewelry while playing biggrin.gif
Can you take it off while playing?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
Apr 19 2012, 10:06 PM
Learning Tone Master
Yeah...but getting it stuck on the pinball machine while jerking my hand away (ouch! But not a big injury...) now has me VERY paranoid about wearing it. That and, having a friend who already lost a finger to a ring!! I know it's "tradition", but I personally hate the feeling, and the risk of getting it caught while reaching between my car seats, climbing a tree/rock, working on my bike, etc.

QUOTE (Dinaga @ Apr 19 2012, 01:52 PM) *
Wow man, it's quite a problem... Reading everything you wrote here makes me think that wearing ring is indeed lethal! biggrin.gif I didn't think it was that big of a problem... after all, Yngwie Malmsteen wears all sorts of jewelry while playing biggrin.gif
Can you take it off while playing?

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
llibach
Apr 19 2012, 10:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
They can be an unknown danger. A guy I know drives lorries for a living and opened the door grabbed the top of the door to jump out the cab got the ring caught on top of the door and like you said about the hoop, he came down minus one finger. ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by llibach: Apr 19 2012, 10:31 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 19 2012, 10:41 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (derper @ Apr 19 2012, 05:06 PM) *
Yeah...but getting it stuck on the pinball machine while jerking my hand away (ouch! But not a big injury...) now has me VERY paranoid about wearing it. That and, having a friend who already lost a finger to a ring!! I know it's "tradition", but I personally hate the feeling, and the risk of getting it caught while reaching between my car seats, climbing a tree/rock, working on my bike, etc.

It's just jewelry right? You can still be engaged, married, etc. and not wear a ring right? If you don't dig it, I"d say skip it. smile.gif If your gal insists you walk around with a visible sign of being taken, do what you were saying and get a ring tattoo. Solved!

+Quote Post
derper
Apr 19 2012, 11:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks for the info/story! I know it's "rare" or "unlikely".....but this is my GUITAR FINGER!! I don't want to increase the chance of losing a finger by even .001%!! Lucky for me, my girl is awesome and VERY supportive of my musical endeavors...so I think she'll understand my fears.

QUOTE (llibach @ Apr 19 2012, 02:31 PM) *
They can be an unknown danger. A guy I know drives lorries for a living and opened the door grabbed the top of the door to jump out the cab got the ring caught on top of the door and like you said about the hoop, he came down minus one finger. ohmy.gif

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Apr 20 2012, 01:19 AM
Learning Rock Star
that missing finger thing... what a terrible way to lose a finger ~ ug :/

Personally, I don't wear a ring. Been married about 15 years ~ wore it for about 2 years, but when I picked up the guitar, I didn't like the feeling either. I have big knuckles, so the band, when it's past the knuckle, dangles a little, not snug, so it does it's little hula-hoop thing while I'm playing, and so I said, honey, I love you, but this is ridiculous. I wasn't physically made for wearing one, so I'll tattoo "taken" on my chest instead... fortunately she hates tattoos biggrin.gif

Good luck with that!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Apr 20 2012, 01:48 AM
This might be weird, but some people wear a necklace with the ring on it. When I dated a girl years ago that how I did it because a ring on my finger felt awkward, so I went that route.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 20 2012, 01:56 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Been married 2, almost three years now and I got used to it. I play Sevens to so I bring my hand up a little more. I used to take it off but eventually you wont notice it anymore.

I was like you, hated rings couldnt wear them. Now when its gone, I freak out. I lost it once at a construction site at work, found it 2 days later but for those 2 days I was literally worried sick about loosing it.

It will become...as flesh.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 20 2012, 09:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Apr 20 2012, 01:48 AM) *
This might be weird, but some people wear a necklace with the ring on it. When I dated a girl years ago that how I did it because a ring on my finger felt awkward, so I went that route.

I was just about to say this. This is a totally normal and viable thing to do.. have a talk about it with your fiancee and explain your concerns and that you'd still like to display your devotion to her but in a safer way that allows you to do the things you do and not risk damaging your finger either smile.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 20 2012, 10:35 AM
Learning Roadie
My ring is quite thick and wide. I take it off or move it to my right hand for guitar playing

You could put it on a chain.

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Apr 20 2012, 10:33 AM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Apr 20 2012, 10:45 AM
Take it off before playing, man... blink.gif

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Apr 20 2012, 10:45 AM

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Apr 20 2012, 06:19 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Apr 20 2012, 12:48 AM) *

+1

That is exactly the route I would take. Either this or, move it to your picking hand and leave it there.

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
derper
Apr 21 2012, 02:17 AM
Learning Tone Master
Actually, I had that talk last night. I'll figure out something, but she's awesome and super supportive of all of my musical endeavors/gigs....so she understands. After getting it caught on a pinball machine the first week (luckily, no real injury), I'm way too paranoid to wear one everyday.

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Apr 20 2012, 01:44 AM) *
I was just about to say this. This is a totally normal and viable thing to do.. have a talk about it with your fiancee and explain your concerns and that you'd still like to display your devotion to her but in a safer way that allows you to do the things you do and not risk damaging your finger either smile.gif

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 22 2012, 06:33 PM
Instructor
Mate, I dunno smile.gif I mean, take it off when playing and put it on the right hand tongue.gif I hate wearing ANYTHING on my hands while playing, so I totally understand

Cosmin

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 22 2012, 07:00 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Not always as easy as taking it off, you lose it, and your in big trouble!

Adaptation is best!

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 17 2012, 10:59 PM
Learning Tone Master
Here is my temporary solution.... a $0.40 rubber o-ring from the hardware store! Comfy, and it will probably come off before injuring me. It works great for now.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
geoboi
Sep 18 2012, 01:06 AM
I agree with wearing it on a necklace or the right hand. If I had your problem with your guitar I think I would opt for the right hand. I'm proud to be married and like to let the world know by wearing one.

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Sep 18 2012, 02:26 AM
I hate rings too. I don't wear mine for reasons completely unrelated to guitar, or injury. I have known people that have been hurt with them, but it was work related. One good point is that my original guitar instructor used to do this cool trick and use his ring like a slide! I thought this was very cool.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 18 2012, 08:43 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Sep 18 2012, 01:26 AM) *
I hate rings too. I don't wear mine for reasons completely unrelated to guitar, or injury. I have known people that have been hurt with them, but it was work related. One good point is that my original guitar instructor used to do this cool trick and use his ring like a slide! I thought this was very cool.

Ha! Very nice! This post inspired me to write about using a thimble to reach higher pitches on the guitar strings biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:21 PM