> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

11 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Mhskeide's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 4 2017, 03:43 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, that sounds good! I hope to find news from you. Keep me updated.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jan 17 2018, 12:01 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 4 2017, 03:43 PM) *
Hi mate, that sounds good! I hope to find news from you. Keep me updated.

Hi Gab! Been a long time now...

I`m about to call my self "established" now, and I want to continue with the mentoring! The technique is getting back to what is once was, and I recently bought a super sexy 80s shred guitar, so the motivation is on top now! But instead of another wall of text, I`ll try to categorize what I want from this going forward.

Current level :
I think my technique is fairly decent at the moment. I need to practise a lot of vibrato, but otherwise I don`t think it should be top priority. Maybe we can figure out a benchmark song/lesson/solo for me to record for you?

Song writing:
I have some ideas here and there, both electrical and acoustics, and I want to focus more on bringing them to life through composition.

Musicality/feel:
My improv is maybe at my top now, but that is unfortunately a very low top, and I want to improve here as well! I`m also including feel in this point, in the ability of creating some emotions both through covers and original music.

Available time for practising/writing:
This tends to vary from week to week, depending on how work is and how many night time activities I have planned. Nevertheless, I don`t think it is unreasonable to say that I have about 30-90 minutes available for practise, at least 4 days p/week, in an average week. When I say practise, I mean structured and somewhat planned practising and writing. I try to pick up the guitar everyday unless I`m totally swamped.

So this turned out to a wall of text after all, but I hope it can be benefical for you as I hope we can elevate my guitar playing in the forthcoming time smile.gif

Looking forward to hear from you!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 17 2018, 01:54 PM
Instructor
Hi mate!! Welcome back!!! smile.gif

Those are very interesting goals! I would be great if you could share some "sounding" information. What about any ideas in progress, music that you are recently digging, and also as you've said a song or lesson that combines rhythm and soloing? This could be a good starting point to build your program.

What do you say?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jan 17 2018, 10:33 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
I have embarrasingly few riffs/interesting chord progressions these days. Most my ideas have been lyrics and thoughts played out through simpler chords shapes.

According to my spotify top songs for 2017, I do listen A LOT to progressive metal, but I`m not sure if I am dedicated enough to put in the effort to learn such longs any longer. I do however have a brand spanking new Schecter sun valley (homage guitar to the Charvel San Dimas), so I could try to do a song or two of The Final Countdown album from Europe biggrin.gif As well as The Loner by Gary Moore which is a song I often play when I have the blues. That should cover solo and feels. Maybe I`ll do a third/fourth with some riffing, but well see what I manage the next days.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 19 2018, 01:24 PM
Instructor
Ok mate, let's go for it. I'll wait for your news.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jan 21 2018, 11:55 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Tried making a recording to day, finding out that:

1. The emulated output on my Fender Bassbreaker sucks pretty hard (with distorted tones at least)

2. Playing clean into garageband, then using simulated amps, did _not_ sound as bad as I anticipated.

So I`ll try to make a new recording tomorrow or tuesday to have up, using garageband instead. Did not have time tonight for a second session.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jan 23 2018, 02:37 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Soo here goes.

For starters, I`m sorry for both the vertical filming and the more than usual sloppy playing. I have played, and will play, this much more clean and precise, but it has been a while since I tried it. Instead of postponing a video for you even further, I just wanted to show you at least something...

Hope you`re able to see through the obvious flaws and get something useful out of it. I`ll post something new, if it is too bad to work with.

For the future, I found out that my flatmate has a pretty decent camera. And with some work, I think I can make the garageband plugins work as long as I buy some other plugins or the Line 6 Helix.

Looking forward to your thoughts (I think.. tongue.gif )

https://youtu.be/YholKKRt3k8

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 24 2018, 01:36 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Thanks for the video! That's a nice version of this amazing intro tune. There are some obvious part to fix but the overall is sounding good! It's a good video for reference.

Ok, let's start bulding your routines. The topics that we should cover are:

TECHNIQUE 30 minutes.

Regarding technique, we could choose some GMC lessons and work on 1 each 10 days. Besides this, I would add some minutes of repetitive exercises to improve your picking technique (speed), and to keep your fingers moving.

As you've said vibrato, what about working on this lesson? https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Basic-...ending-Vibrato/

And for exercises, I can share with you my ITC, where you'll find some useful stuff: Link HERE.. However, you can get exercises from any technique book or video lesson.

IMPROVISATION 30 minutes

It could be usefull if you divide this part in two blocks. One for practicing or studying any new improvisation concept, and the other to just play over a backing track.
It's important to be able to visualize chords, triads, arpeggios, in other words target notes when improvising. It's also important to work on phrasing, and rhythm. Working on scales and modes is also important. There is a cool course at the same thread, but it would be helpful if you tell me what things you already master of the ones that I've listed.

COMPOSITION: 30 minutes

This part also could be divided in two blocks. One is song analisis and learning some theory, the second one is working on your compositions. Recording new ideas, riff, trying to continue them, applying concepts learnt by analising music. You can share your stuff here to let me give you ideas on how to continue things.

For song analysis, I usually make a table with 3 columns, the first one is structure, the second one is "what's happening" (arrangement) and the third one is theory (scales and chord progressions). You can share your analysis here to let me give more ideas or just check.

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jan 24 2018, 01:36 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jan 26 2018, 01:48 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
A lot of great input here!

I have four purely technical lessons which I`m currently working on, and I should be able to post some of them in the near future. I also noticed the basic rock bending video that you linked, and I have bookmarked that along side with Ben`s vibrato series. I should really give some of them a go soon for a REC, but it is so frustrating practising something that I`ve just recently realized I totally lacked with my playing sad.gif

Regarding improvisation, I have to come back to you with a longer answer regarding the sub-topics which I feel comfortable with or not.

For song analysis, I`ll try to do something similar as I did last time with the addition of your tips below, for a more complete analysis. I am also attending vocal lessons these days, so that will probably be helpful in that area as well!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 26 2018, 03:42 PM
Instructor
That sounds great mate. Please be organized with your time and keep me updated here to continue polishing your guitar plan. Deal?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jan 30 2018, 12:10 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Deal indeed! I`ll try to post much more frequently (even though I`m already behind, lol), and not leave your posts unanswered for more than a day.

I am currently working on these lessons for technical aspects (not very melodic stuff, just for the mechanical):

AP:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...king-Workout-1/ (The REC-take is probably a few weeks away to master)

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...king-Workout-6/ (Will try to do a REC either this weekend or next week)

Legato:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/chroma...odal_nightmare/ (Same as above regarding REC)

Vibrato:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey/ (still struggling with copying Ben`s legato here, but I should do a new take soon nevertheless to check if I have improved at all...)

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Basic-...ending-Vibrato/

Sweeping:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Sweep-...-7th-Arpeggios/

More melodic stuff, combining picking and vibrato mostly:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ssical-etude-1/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Dynamics-Control/

I also received a new song from my vocal teacher yesterday, so I will try put up the analysis of that one when ready. If I`m also able to write some riffage, it would be cool, but it is a busy week, so I think that will be tough the next days.

This became a quite long post, considering all the lessons I`m partially doing, so do you think I should reduce the amount of lessons in the future, and rather focus on mastering one or two at a time?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 30 2018, 03:13 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Yes, I feel that this is too much stuff. How much time do you dedicate to each thing?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jan 30 2018, 10:15 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 30 2018, 03:13 PM) *
Hi mate! Yes, I feel that this is too much stuff. How much time do you dedicate to each thing?

I don`t have a proper system for cycling through them, even though I usually have a system for everything else in my life. I usually start with one of the AP lessons after I`ve warmed up, and maybe I`ll do another technique-specific as well (legato, vibrato, sweeping). And often, I find myself spending the available amount of practise time for one day, doing only those two things instead of the more important ones, like improv, writing and learning songs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 1 2018, 01:39 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, the only thing that I would change is to save some time for one of the "important" taks that you've listed.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Feb 4 2018, 11:19 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
So I figure a weekly summary could be good. Especially for me, to at least keeping up activity when the days are busy.

And this was just such a week. Long days, after work courses etc. I managed to get some practice in though, and I have some end-of-the-week epiphanies which I have thought about for a while.

I sometimes wonder what my motivation is, since I know I love playing the guitar when Im into what I play, but still keep on playing the same old licks and song over and over again. I think part of me is just annoyd that after 10 years of playing, I am now revealing large gaps in my playing, and I`m afraid of not mastering the things properly, so I just keeping playing what my hands remember.

I`ll try to stop that from now, and kinda go back to the basics. The first steps in this plan, at least for next week:

Reduce focus to two lessons:

For alternative picking: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...king-Workout-6/. I have noticed that even though I can shred some lines, my AP is far from consequent, so I need to dig deep into the basic matter!

For vibrato/soloing: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Basic-...nding-Vibrato/# - I am doing progress on this one, and will hopefully post a REC within next weekend. I`m not able to before.

I also have some thoughts regarding the modes, which I at some point need to adress, but I`ll save that post for a later night.

Hope this makes sense, and maybe can help you in helping me. If you`d like another format or something, let me know smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 5 2018, 04:10 AM
Instructor
Hi mate,

I think that this new plan can be much more effective than working on a long list of lessons. It would be good if you work on these two lessons this week and share a video playing them in 7 days, what do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Feb 5 2018, 07:25 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 5 2018, 04:10 AM) *
Hi mate,

I think that this new plan can be much more effective than working on a long list of lessons. It would be good if you work on these two lessons this week and share a video playing them in 7 days, what do you think?

Absolutely! And I`ll try to finish up my analysis of the song I had for vocal course this week

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 6 2018, 01:40 PM
Instructor
Great! I'll wait for your news.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Feb 11 2018, 01:02 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
So yet another super busy weekend, where I`ve barely been home before 8 pm any night.

Nevertheless, I managed to put together a REC-take tonight.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...p=0&#entry0

As I mentioned in the post, I f`ed up a perfect first take, and this was the best I could manage after, before a new week. I still have some issues regarding guitar tone and recording, but I have a plan towards that. And of course I know the playing is not 100 %, but I leave those comments to you (and the REC judges...). I`m not super satisfied, but I want to post something _at least_ every 10 days now, as we discussed, to both give you more than a written progress update, as well as pushing myself even in busy weeks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 11 2018, 09:00 PM
Instructor
Great!! I've just commented there, let me know your thoughts!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:00 PM