2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Staffy's March Mtp Thread, Weekly assignments and uploads here
Pedja Simovic
Mar 4 2010, 07:19 PM
Instructor
Hello Staffay!

We are starting finally with our MTP work for March. I would like you for your 1st assignment to transcribe and play at least 4 bars of well known jazz solo. It could be piano, trumpet, sax or any other instrument, preferably not guitar!
Here is the outline of your 1st assignment

Assignment 1 :

- Choose a well know Jazz standard and transcribe at least 4 bars of the solo using guitar pro.
- After you are done with transcribing, learn to play the solo in real time.
- Record yourself with the actual solo using your camcorder/web cam.
- Upload your take on Youtube and submit it in your thread.
- Upload your guitar pro file as well so that I could check if transcription is accurate.
- No restrictions on tempo, key, register just try to do anything but guitar!

Deadline for your assignment is 10th of March !

Let me know if you have any questions!

Pedja

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Staffy
Mar 6 2010, 09:24 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Mar 4 2010, 07:19 PM) *
Hello Staffay!

We are starting finally with our MTP work for March. I would like you for your 1st assignment to transcribe and play at least 4 bars of well known jazz solo. It could be piano, trumpet, sax or any other instrument, preferably not guitar!
Here is the outline of your 1st assignment

Assignment 1 :

- Choose a well know Jazz standard and transcribe at least 4 bars of the solo using guitar pro.
- After you are done with transcribing, learn to play the solo in real time.
- Record yourself with the actual solo using your camcorder/web cam.
- Upload your take on Youtube and submit it in your thread.
- Upload your guitar pro file as well so that I could check if transcription is accurate.
- No restrictions on tempo, key, register just try to do anything but guitar!

Deadline for your assignment is 10th of March !

Let me know if you have any questions!

Pedja

Perfectly clear!!! smile.gif I will start this today, since I was busy the last day's preparing for a gig yesterday.
I will also force me into learning GP, since I've always wroted down my transciptions by hand.
See ya!

//Staffay

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Staffy: Mar 6 2010, 09:25 AM

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 8 2010, 03:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ Mar 6 2010, 09:24 AM) *
Perfectly clear!!! smile.gif I will start this today, since I was busy the last day's preparing for a gig yesterday.
I will also force me into learning GP, since I've always wroted down my transciptions by hand.
See ya!

//Staffay

Great to hear that Staffay. GP can be very useful, you will see. I was opposed to it but I do all my transcriptions for lessons there smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Mar 11 2010, 01:09 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hi!
Yeah, GP was quite easy, though I miss the ability to write "ghost" -notes in the normal notation.

This solo is from Red Rodneys record "Fiery" and features Ira Sullivan on Tenor.
The song is "Stella", what is interesting here is that I think he threats the whole first part as a blues with some chromatism, except for some passages - rather than playing on each chord. On the Gm7 chord he even plays the major third occasionally.

Also I might have taken a too big bite in the apple here, since the tempo for this kind of phrases may be a little high for me... but with some more day's of practice, I'll think I will nail it even better....

//Staffay

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Dexter.gp5 ( 3.02K ) Number of downloads: 107

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2

+Quote Post
stratman79
Mar 11 2010, 02:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
fair play staffy, that sounds great...

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 11 2010, 05:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ Mar 11 2010, 01:09 PM) *
Hi!
Yeah, GP was quite easy, though I miss the ability to write "ghost" -notes in the normal notation.

This solo is from Red Rodneys record "Fiery" and features Ira Sullivan on Tenor.
The song is "Stella", what is interesting here is that I think he threats the whole first part as a blues with some chromatism, except for some passages - rather than playing on each chord. On the Gm7 chord he even plays the major third occasionally.

Also I might have taken a too big bite in the apple here, since the tempo for this kind of phrases may be a little high for me... but with some more day's of practice, I'll think I will nail it even better....

//Staffay

Staffay this was fantastic man ! Well done, I will post your 2nd assignment tonight but I am thinking it would be good to either finish this solo up (another 4 to 8 bars) or to pick another artist and try to do 4 to 8 bars of his/her work. Preferably with different soloing approach but I don't mind you doing Bebop or Post Bop era wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Mar 11 2010, 05:17 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Mar 11 2010, 05:00 PM) *
Staffay this was fantastic man ! Well done, I will post your 2nd assignment tonight but I am thinking it would be good to either finish this solo up (another 4 to 8 bars) or to pick another artist and try to do 4 to 8 bars of his/her work. Preferably with different soloing approach but I don't mind you doing Bebop or Post Bop era wink.gif

Thx. Pedja! smile.gif I'll pick another up (since the following part will take me years to complete, there are some real ugly 16'th note sequences.... tongue.gif ) I will try to do some real modern stuff, but its hard to find a standard, can't I pick a non-standard???

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 11 2010, 08:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ Mar 11 2010, 05:17 PM) *
Thx. Pedja! smile.gif I'll pick another up (since the following part will take me years to complete, there are some real ugly 16'th note sequences.... tongue.gif ) I will try to do some real modern stuff, but its hard to find a standard, can't I pick a non-standard???

//Staffay

Take a modal piece like Impressions and do a transcription on that. Michael Brecker's solo on Impressions is awesome. Album with McCoy Tyner trio with Michael Brecker.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Mar 11 2010, 08:58 PM
Learning Tone Master
I can hear ya man !!!! biggrin.gif That one is GREAT!!!

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 14 2010, 06:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ Mar 11 2010, 08:58 PM) *
I can hear ya man !!!! biggrin.gif That one is GREAT!!!

//Staffay

Staffay I had internet problems but from today everything is back to normal.
I would like to give you your 2nd assignment although we already spoke about it above.

2nd assignment :

Jazz solo transcription

- Continue with transcription you are already working on or start a new artist and style.
- We spoke of Michael Breckers solo over Impressions. That would be my suggestions as it is modal piece and there is a lot of outside playing that you will like to work out.
- Post your assignment in this thread, transcription + video (preferably).

Deadline for this assignment is 19th of March (5 days from now).

Let me know if you have any questions about this assignment I will be on every day from now on + video chats in the night wink.gif

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Mar 14 2010, 07:19 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Mar 14 2010, 06:07 PM) *
Staffay I had internet problems but from today everything is back to normal.
I would like to give you your 2nd assignment although we already spoke about it above.

2nd assignment :

Jazz solo transcription

- Continue with transcription you are already working on or start a new artist and style.
- We spoke of Michael Breckers solo over Impressions. That would be my suggestions as it is modal piece and there is a lot of outside playing that you will like to work out.
- Post your assignment in this thread, transcription + video (preferably).

Deadline for this assignment is 19th of March (5 days from now).

Let me know if you have any questions about this assignment I will be on every day from now on + video chats in the night wink.gif

Pedja

Yeps, got it! But I dont think I will be able to do the whole solo, its a pretty long one... tongue.gif I bought the record, so Im gonna start tonight!

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 15 2010, 12:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ Mar 14 2010, 07:19 PM) *
Yeps, got it! But I dont think I will be able to do the whole solo, its a pretty long one... tongue.gif I bought the record, so Im gonna start tonight!

//Staffay

I am very happy you bought the record, I am sure you will enjoy it a lot. Try to do 4 bars at least to get you going. We have to choose REC lesson very soon so pace yourself please smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Mar 15 2010, 12:32 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Mar 15 2010, 12:15 AM) *
I am very happy you bought the record, I am sure you will enjoy it a lot. Try to do 4 bars at least to get you going. We have to choose REC lesson very soon so pace yourself please smile.gif

Oh well, REC-lesson.... I'm shakin... tongue.gif Nah, I was planning to do at least two choruses, if possible ofc. smile.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 15 2010, 12:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ Mar 15 2010, 12:32 AM) *
Oh well, REC-lesson.... I'm shakin... tongue.gif Nah, I was planning to do at least two choruses, if possible ofc. smile.gif

//Staffay

That might be too much in 5 days + transcription but see what you can do wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Mar 16 2010, 11:46 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Mar 15 2010, 12:51 AM) *
That might be too much in 5 days + transcription but see what you can do wink.gif

Yeah, I can really dig this.... I've transcribed the first chorus by now, and think I'm quite accurate - but I wanted You to check it a litlle and correct it if necessary. (I assume that You did this one too???) I'm not sure of whether the second note is a E or F, but it sounds like E in my ears. Also I find the bars before the Ebm7 chord confusing, is he playing over a B7 here or what??? However it sounds just so great!!
I'd love to transcribe the next chorus as well, since things are really begin to cookin here, at least my ears tells me so... tongue.gif

//Staffay

Attached File(s)
Attached File  BreckerImpressions.gp5 ( 3.39K ) Number of downloads: 114

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 19 2010, 04:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ Mar 16 2010, 11:46 PM) *
Yeah, I can really dig this.... I've transcribed the first chorus by now, and think I'm quite accurate - but I wanted You to check it a litlle and correct it if necessary. (I assume that You did this one too???) I'm not sure of whether the second note is a E or F, but it sounds like E in my ears. Also I find the bars before the Ebm7 chord confusing, is he playing over a B7 here or what??? However it sounds just so great!!
I'd love to transcribe the next chorus as well, since things are really begin to cookin here, at least my ears tells me so... tongue.gif

//Staffay

Staffay I downloaded your guitar pro couple of days ago. You did fantastic work. 2nd note is F not E in my opinion. Michael Brecker loved to repeat same idea in various places over bar and apply different rhythm to the same idea. That was his signature among other things.
I am really looking forward to your video of 1st chorus of solo. Lets see it and hear it !
We will then move on and assign something for REC but lets see you play this solo wink.gif

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Mar 19 2010, 06:11 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hi!
Mmm, lets see if I can do a decent take tonight, its not so easy on guitar... but the second chorus is much worser, I will have a try at that one later... I have transcribed, but as You said, it was a little bit too much in one week. I would love to discuss the tonal approach of this, since its some very nice ideas in the second chorus.

//Staffay

Attached File(s)
Attached File  BreckerImpressions.gp5 ( 5.92K ) Number of downloads: 110

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Mar 20 2010, 02:22 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hi again Pedja.
My brain went bananas - total error. Yesterday when I practiced this I was able to play it decent just some 10 bpm slower than the original, but tonight after trying to play original tempo for some hours, my brain doesn't wanted to co-operate anymore... ohmy.gif
So I guess I have to practice this for a couple of more day's, since I'm a perfectionist and wants it to be exact.
The real problem here is the intervals - on guitar we are mostly playing more "linear" than sax-players, pianists etc.
But in the mean time, I have recorded some takes in slower tempo, and Yes - I'm aware of the timing issues on two spots in the second one..... *lol* This was made earlier today, ánd I just want to show that I'm on it, and not laying on the couch watchin' TV.....

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 20 2010, 03:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ Mar 20 2010, 02:22 AM) *
Hi again Pedja.
My brain went bananas - total error. Yesterday when I practiced this I was able to play it decent just some 10 bpm slower than the original, but tonight after trying to play original tempo for some hours, my brain doesn't wanted to co-operate anymore... ohmy.gif
So I guess I have to practice this for a couple of more day's, since I'm a perfectionist and wants it to be exact.
The real problem here is the intervals - on guitar we are mostly playing more "linear" than sax-players, pianists etc.
But in the mean time, I have recorded some takes in slower tempo, and Yes - I'm aware of the timing issues on two spots in the second one..... *lol* This was made earlier today, ánd I just want to show that I'm on it, and not laying on the couch watchin' TV.....

//Staffay

Yes Staffay ! Thats what I am talking about man, great stuff. Keep working on this one on your own time, we will analyze it in depth of course and brake down parts. I am just very happy to see and hear you are not opposed to transcribing this sort of thing and applying it in your own style. Great stuff one more time and I will try to give you your REC tomorrow along with another assignment!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Mar 20 2010, 08:50 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Mar 20 2010, 03:28 AM) *
Yes Staffay ! Thats what I am talking about man, great stuff. Keep working on this one on your own time, we will analyze it in depth of course and brake down parts. I am just very happy to see and hear you are not opposed to transcribing this sort of thing and applying it in your own style. Great stuff one more time and I will try to give you your REC tomorrow along with another assignment!

Thx. Pedja! Of course I'm not opposed to transcribing Michael Brecker, it just can't get any better!!! Imo. he's the only one that managed really to pick up where Coltrane left, he was a true genious and I have listened to his music since the end of the 70's I believe. And transcribing in general are fun, I used to do that a lot back in the old day's, as well as playing to records. It was in fact the method I practiced from the very start, since there was no books, no teachers, kinda nothing except of records.

By analyzing the first part here, which is pretty "clean" from outside playnig, I recognized the following:
a) He picks up a motif and repeats it in the beginning. He plays over a G9 rather than a Dminor in the first bars. Thats why the B-note are there, even that it is also D-minor pentatonic.
cool.gif In bar 12 there is a broken C-major followed by a broken D-minor7 seven and some standard be-bop chromatism.
c) In bar 15 and 16 , I dont really know, the best guess is that he plays over a B7 and then slides back to D-minor for the last notes.
d) At the Eb-minor chord he returns to the opening phrase with a sligth variation followed by a long note.
e) It is then followed by "trade-mark" Brecker blues lick that keeps on moving down chromatically towards the low Eb-note, which he targets.
f) The Eb part is concluded with a broken Eb-minor maj7 and then resolves into D-minor.
g) In the beginning of the last 8 bars, again a G9 is implied - in fact I dont know what this pentatonic is called, but Robben Ford uses it a lot on the I-chord of a blues progression. It is a D-minor pentatonic with a sixth instead of the 7'th.
h) The chorus is ended by playing nearly the same phrase as in the ending of the Eb-minor part - eg. a broken D-minor maj7, which adds a touch of the dominant (A7). Also some notes before can be treated as notes belonging to A7, a common way to play on minor chords, at least I think so.

Well, thats what I think.... The second chorus is far more interesting, I dont know if You downloaded the second GP5-file I posted, but there are the second chorus as well.

Looking forward to the next assignment and the REC !!!

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:50 PM