2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Challenge Lick Thread, Learn New Licks and Post Recordings for Everyone to Check Out!
The Professor
Jan 12 2013, 10:22 AM
Theory Instructor
To try something new and fun in the forum, I'm going to post a lick each week that's a "Challenge Lick" for everyone to check out and learn.

If you learn it, post a recording of yourself jamming with the lick, audio or video, for everyone to check out.

So a fun challenge to learn the lick, and we'll get to hear how everyone is taking the lick in a different direction when applying it to their playing.

Here's the first lick, a slippery Am7 pent lick, have fun with it and post your results, be interesting to see where everyone goes with this lick in their solos!

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Matt Warnock Guitar: Jan 12 2013, 10:27 AM

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 12 2013, 10:59 AM
Instructor
This is cool! I am curious to see how everyone interprets this lick in their own manner!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 12 2013, 11:01 AM
Theory Instructor
For sure, hopefully we'll get different genres as well, Country, Rock, Blues, Funk, Jazz etc. Go for it everyone!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 13 2013, 02:36 AM
Instructor
Great idea Matt!! Where is everybody's takes?? smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 13 2013, 06:55 AM
GMC:er
It's a cool lick/line. I hear that inside/outside technique referred to as side slipping sometimes(?). I just call call it 'inside/outside wink.gif .
I'll play chromatically off a minor penta like that a lot. But more off the 1/b2 instead of Matt's 5/b6.
It made me re-think some stuff so besides soloing with the idea, I made a little 4 bar repetitive melody that incorporates the idea.
I used the 1/2 step movement idea as a main thematic idea throughout the solo. Ascending and descending as well as playing in and out of A mp and Bb mp
https://soundcloud.com/klasaine/slip-note-lines

*The DR000035 mp3 attachment below is the same the soundcloud above.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jan 13 2013, 07:48 AM

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
Jan 13 2013, 08:03 AM
Great lick man!! I modified it a bit and created my own variation of it that I really like. Your lick is really neat, that side-stepping concept is extremely helpful when first getting into "outside" sounds.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 13 2013, 10:14 AM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 13 2013, 05:55 AM) *
It's a cool lick/line. I hear that inside/outside technique referred to as side slipping sometimes(?). I just call call it 'inside/outside wink.gif .
I'll play chromatically off a minor penta like that a lot. But more off the 1/b2 instead of Matt's 5/b6.
It made me re-think some stuff so besides soloing with the idea, I made a little 4 bar repetitive melody that incorporates the idea.
I used the 1/2 step movement idea as a main thematic idea throughout the solo. Ascending and descending as well as playing in and out of A mp and Bb mp
https://soundcloud.com/klasaine/slip-note-lines

*The DR000035 mp3 attachment below is the same the soundcloud above.

Nice one mate! Yeah that technique is called "side-stepping." Basically the technique is that you can move up or or down between two keys a 1/2 step apart in your lines/solos.

So over Am you could solo on Am, Bbm and Abm, as long as you resolve back to Am to end your phrase.

Loved it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
Jan 16 2013, 02:58 AM
Learning Tone Master
I first learned this "side step" move while conversing with a friend about this keys solo (at 25m 39s)

And my buddy says, "you know what he did, right? Just move a half step up/down and bust a chromatic lick, then resolve in the original key". Bam. Life-changed forever.

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 16 2013, 05:36 AM
@derper ... dig your video game band. 'Contra' kicks a$$!

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 16 2013, 07:55 AM
Theory Instructor
For sure. It is a simple technique but it provides big results. Just need to make sure to resolve it at the right moment or it can end up sounding like a mistake rather than a cool lick.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 16 2013, 08:31 AM
Instructor
I also talked about this idea last year in one of the video chat sessions - it's weird enough to cause a bit of 'brain wake up' to the listener! Gotta love it biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 23 2013, 06:23 PM
Theory Instructor
Hey Everyone

Here's another challenge lick for this week. It's a fusion sounding, slippery C7 line so give it a go and share your recordings, audio/video. for all to check out. Have fun!

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 23 2013, 09:03 PM
Is it 'legal' to do it in Bb?

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 23 2013, 09:03 PM
Theory Instructor
Any key or tempo is totally legal! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 25 2013, 09:30 PM
So here's my contribution to 'Challenge Lick # 2'.

I did it in Bb and over jazz blues progression.
I use it two times. The first time getting to the IV chord in measures 3 and 4 and then again in measures 7 and 8 an octave lower (In measures 7 and 8 I also change the last three notes in order to get me to a Cm7 chord).

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 25 2013, 10:40 PM
Theory Instructor
Sounds great man! Like how you used it in more than one place in the solo, very hip!

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 26 2013, 12:02 AM
It's a very hip lick and definitely now added to the arsenal. Thank you!
When I first played through it I instantly heard it as a dominant resolving. So, because I'm lazy, I'll always find at least three chords that any given lick can work over (again relating to that Jim Hall quote).

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 26 2013, 03:33 PM
Theory Instructor
For sure. Whenever I learn a 7th chord lick, say over C7, I always try it out over C7, Gm7 and F#7 right away to see how it fits on those three chords, then take it from there.

I had a teacher give me a cool exercise once where I took one lick, like this one, and then practiced resolving it to all 12 keys.

So C7-Fmaj7, C7-Gbmaj7, C7-Gmaj7 etc just to see how I could fit it into unconventional places. Very fun workout.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 26 2013, 05:02 PM
QUOTE (The Professor @ Jan 26 2013, 02:33 PM) *
I had a teacher give me a cool exercise once where I took one lick, like this one, and then practiced resolving it to all 12 keys.

An older and more experienced player once said to me, "if you know where you're going chances are you'll get there"

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jan 26 2013, 05:05 PM

+Quote Post
The Professor
Feb 2 2013, 02:45 PM
Theory Instructor
Here is a new Challenge Lick for you. This one digging into a Melodic Minor Scale over Am. If you learn it, post your audio/video in this thread for us to check out. Good luck!

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 12:33 AM