What Are Time Signatures, Learn to recognize and read time signatures
The Professor
May 20 2013, 12:04 PM
Theory Instructor
How to Read Time Signatures

Learning how to read notes for guitar is often a two-step process, the first is reading the names of the notes and the second is reading the rhythm of each note on the staff.

In this introductory lesson, part of a larger series on reading rhythms, we will be looking at probably the most important aspect of reading rhythms on guitar, time signatures.

A Time Signature is a group of 2 numbers that appear at the beginning of any piece of music with a stave, such as the Treble Clef, and once they are stated, that time signature is good for the entire piece of music unless a new time signature appears at a later point in the music.

Here is an example of a Time Signature in a short lick, in this case the time signature is 4/4 time.

Attached Image

There are a lot of different time signatures, such as 4/4, 2/4, 3/4, 5/4, 7/8, 12/8, etc., but they are all read in the same way.

The top number of any time signature is the amount of beats in a bar, so 2/4 has 2 beats in a bar.

The bottom number of any time signature is the length of those beats, so 2/4 has 2 quarter-notes in each bar. If you have 7/8, that would be seven 8th-notes in each bar and so forth.

Here are some examples of many of the commonly used Time Signatures to check out and learn to recognize when you begin to read music from the Treble Clef on guitar.

Attached Image

Do you have any questions about time signatures, how they work or how to read them? If so, post our comments and questions below and I will be glad to answer them as soon as possible.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:30 PM