2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closet = A Floating Rec Room, Pictures of me finishing my new recording room
Kristofer Dahl
May 29 2009, 08:40 PM
GMC Founder
Do you have a closet? Throw you clothes in the garbage and build a floating room-in-a-room instead!

Here are some pictures of how I did it. I may seem handier than I actually am on these pictures - I actually got help from a craftsman to build the room.

I decided to build a floating recording room to be able to record my Marshall amp with a microphone (instead of using a line signal) - and to get better control of my recordings and room reverberations. Also this will annoy my neighbors a lot less!

Now that I have got a better recording room - I just need to find some time to record... rolleyes.gif I haven't even tested the room yet - however just by clapping my hands in this room I hear that there are absolutely no reverberations - which is really cool!

edit - here is a first sample recording from the room

PS If you are interested in building a studio - don't miss Andrew's blog about it.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Kristofer Dahl: Aug 8 2009, 07:58 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
May 29 2009, 08:44 PM
Instructor
Nice trick!!!

I've never thought of that!

Could be a cheaper solution than building it on a whole room, nice Kris biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 29 2009, 08:47 PM
GMC Founder
Hehe yes you have to use your imagination when you don't have lots of space! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
May 29 2009, 08:53 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Weird- at the moment i don't have any permissions to view the galleries laugh.gif

What are you all keeping from me?!?

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
May 29 2009, 09:03 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
arrrgh! I`m soooo jealous!! awesome, I so want to do this! I just need to find a spare room to actually do this! laugh.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
mba64
May 29 2009, 09:18 PM
GMC:er
Holy cow man I have not think about that, this is the thing to record and play with a real Amp when you live in a renthouse without the cops is coming, great idea now you ruin my next saving I want a Mesa now.
Never thinkt about this great solution. tongue.gif

Edit for language - Chris

This post has been edited by Chris Evans: May 29 2009, 09:19 PM

--------------------
LTD WA-600 (EMG JH)
Cort Bass
M-Audio AV40

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
May 29 2009, 09:37 PM
Instructor
This is awesome Kris!!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 29 2009, 09:55 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Chris Evans @ May 29 2009, 10:03 PM) *
arrrgh! I`m soooo jealous!! awesome, I so want to do this! I just need to find a spare room to actually do this! laugh.gif

Find one...or create one by throwing a family member out... sad.gif oops no, bad idea

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
May 29 2009, 10:26 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
hmm... is it? rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

nah, we actually plan an extension on the house a little later on and I`ve been promised a proper little "rock" room smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Fran
May 29 2009, 10:46 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Wow Kris that's awesome!!, can't wait to hear those recordings with that half stack cranked, pretty cool cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
audiopaal
May 29 2009, 11:09 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I don't like you anymore mad.gif

laugh.gif

I want one too!!!!
Too bad I don't have the space..
Looks awesome Kris smile.gif

+Quote Post
sted
May 30 2009, 09:24 AM
Learning Rock Star
Pretty cool Kris!

I've been considering a studio but the house is too small, we do have a decent size garden though and i have started pricing some log cabins to go at the bottom of the garden. The project will ideally be two rooms (Soundproof booth and desk area) and will have building regs level of insulation and permanent power.
could you tell me the specs of the insulation and sound proofing you have used to give me some idea of where to start looking? I did build a few anechoic chambers for an engine R and D facility years ago but they were a little large for my needs!

This is the building ive been considering:

Attached Image

Its 6x5m so big enough to divide up into sections.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 30 2009, 10:22 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (sted @ May 30 2009, 10:24 AM) *
I've been considering a studio but the house is too small, we do have a decent size garden though and i have started pricing some log cabins to go at the bottom of the garden. The project will ideally be two rooms (Soundproof booth and desk area) and will have building regs level of insulation and permanent power.
could you tell me the specs of the insulation and sound proofing you have used to give me some idea of where to start looking? I did build a few anechoic chambers for an engine R and D facility years ago but they were a little large for my needs!

Ok hold on, I barely understand these words in Swedish so it's all Google translated:

The specs are actually pretty easy - the room is built the exact same way as one would build any room - with the following exceptions:

* the room is built within another room to effectively prevent sound from leaking in/out.

* also, to prevent leaking the room should not touch the walls of the bigger room - 2 cm of air in between should do it.

* the tricky part is the floor - the correct way of doing it would be to have the inner room's foundation resting on special rubber material to prevent propagation of sound. I did it the cheap way and used a standard "ground disc" - which is very common to use in construction work (and has a "dampeneing" effect somewhat similar to rubber material)

* the inner walls are covered with soft acoustic dampening material, "egg cartons" should do the trick. (this does not prevent sound from leaking out - but more importantly it kills reverberations. You obviously want to add killer reverb in the mixing process, not use your room's poor sounding natural reverb, which is impossible to get rid of later on). For those who aren't into recording techniques: unwanted natural room reverberations is probably the no1 reason why home recordings sound unprofessional.

* Once the room is done you can dive into bass traps (check Andrew's blog), "angled" sealing etc. I have not done this yet since I don't really know if the room contains any acoustic problems (I should find out pretty soon though!)

edit: My recording room is now just 5 square meters - so I think the building you are thinking of should work!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 30 2009, 10:34 AM
Instructor
Looks great Kristofer !

My roommate from Berklee who was recording major also did very similar thing with his closet. Works perfectly ! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
May 30 2009, 11:25 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ May 30 2009, 10:22 AM) *
Ok hold on, I barely understand these words in Swedish so it's all Google translated:

The specs are actually pretty easy - the room is built the exact same way as one would build any room - with the following exceptions:

* the room is built within another room to effectively prevent sound from leaking in/out.

* also, to prevent leaking the room should not touch the walls of the bigger room - 2 cm of air in between should do it.

* the tricky part is the floor - the correct way of doing it would be to have the inner room's foundation resting on special rubber material to prevent propagation of sound. I did it the cheap way and used a standard "ground disc" - which is very common to use in construction work (and has a "dampeneing" effect somewhat similar to rubber material)

* the inner walls are covered with soft acoustic dampening material, "egg cartons" should do the trick. (this does not prevent sound from leaking out - but more importantly it kills reverberations. You obviously want to add killer reverb in the mixing process, not use your room's poor sounding natural reverb, which is impossible to get rid of later on). For those who aren't into recording techniques: unwanted natural room reverberations is probably the no1 reason why home recordings sound unprofessional.

* Once the room is done you can dive into bass traps (check Andrew's blog), "angled" sealing etc. I have not done this yet since I don't really know if the room contains any acoustic problems (I should find out pretty soon though!)

edit: My recording room is now just 5 square meters - so I think the building you are thinking of should work!

Thanks Kris! sorry about the translation problems! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 31 2009, 04:31 PM
Instructor
Wow, this looks like a great build! Awesome work Kris, the recording room looks very professional, and the amp is awesome as well biggrin.gif DIY Rulez! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
May 31 2009, 05:09 PM
Instructor
Great work. I know some famous places for recording and they use improvised rooms with some great results.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Jun 6 2009, 10:32 AM
Learning Rock Star
Wow ! I should try this, but I still live in my parents' house as I'm just 15 sad.gif ... smile.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
djohnneay
Jun 10 2009, 10:17 PM
GMC:er
That's cool Kris!

I see you've got a large closet there, I can't sit in mine you know tongue.gif
Been in a dead room once or twice, they used the same material there, only that room was 8x8 meters.

It's strange when sound doesn't reverb AT ALL in a room, but it's excellent for recording smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TylerT
Jun 20 2009, 02:28 AM
Guitar Hero
sweet! Im moving to a bigger house soon so hopefully ill have a spare closet tongue.gif

--------------------
My Website
My Youtube

Main Guitars:
- Agile Interceptor Pro 725
- EBMM John Petrucci Signature
- Axl Badwater

Amps/Effects:
- Avid Eleven Rack
- Hughes & Kettner Switchblade
- Pod X3 Live

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:16 AM