2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Choosing Tubes!, whats the quality one's?
Xuestor
Oct 30 2008, 09:35 PM
GMC:er
Hey!

I have some money to spend and thought I'd back up my tubeamp with some tubes. I need EL34's and looked through thomann.de to find some. What's the difference on the tubes? I can read the instructions on the page, but it's all marketingwords, really. All tubes are the best one's smile.gif So what's the catch on buying tubes for 50 bucks instead of 150 bucks?

I looked at some TAD tubes, they look wallet-friendly. And is it best to buy a matched quartet or 2 matched pairs?

And to preamp tubes, I have AX7 tubes, but looking in the store, almost all tubes says AX7 and then has a letter after that, like C, B, R or T.

I'm lost in the Tubejungle, and I'm gonna diiiee!!
Help is appreciated smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Xuestor: Oct 30 2008, 09:36 PM

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 30 2008, 11:09 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I don't know know about the postfix, somehow they tell about the tubes construction. You know, different 12AX7 will sound more "hi-gain", "bluesy", "early breakup" etc and I belive the postfix will guide you there. But I can't say what each postfix means.
Any 12AX7 tube will fit no matter the extention letter.

And there are many brands but only so many tube factories, like 4-5 in the world.
Try to look for tubes from Slovakia and Serbia (if I remember well about who's better quality) but I'm not 100% sure they are better than Russian. And Russian make tubes to most different brands.

About the EL34 tubes make sure you get the EL34 and not the EL34L, it's slightly different and require and complete different bias current. So EL34L isn't plug n play if you plan to skip the biasing.

I know it's not clear but I hope it helps a little. Maybe you can find out somehow which country each tube brand spring from.

The EL84 tubes that came in my Peavey was Chinese, Ssugang something. The ones I replaced them with were JJ (Slovakia).
Soundwise, I can't hear a huge difference. The Chinese ones were a bit softer in tone and the JJ's a grittier breakup. Hard to judge since one of the Chinese EL84's were totally burned after only 2 years. Lower quality? Or I carried my amp around too much? I don't know.

QUOTE (Xuestor @ Oct 30 2008, 09:35 PM) *
And is it best to buy a matched quartet or 2 matched pairs?

Matched quartet.

Btw I pulled two of mine in the blade so running on 50W and for the record, am on the same Ohm on both amp and cab (previous discussion). Still way loud but more controllable.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Noangels
Oct 30 2008, 11:27 PM
Matched quartet here too,and two tubes pulled out as well!still loud,4.5 is as loud as the drummer lets me play!

I havnt changed the preamp tubes in my blade yet,but had to change the powertubes with matched JJ tubes last year when one died on me.They sound the same as the stock ones that arrived in the blade when I bought it.

I might try ruby tubes in the preamp section,I have them in one of my preamps and it has a realy sweet tone

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 31 2008, 12:40 AM
Instructor
There are a ton of reviews on tubes on the net. I bought Electro-Harmonics 12AX7 (ECC83) tubes, and can tell you to stay away of those, they are bad. JJ tubes are good bang for buck, nice for everything. JJ tubes are made in SLovakia and they have EL34 tube that has a mark E34L. It's basically the same type of tube only the letter L is behind the numer.

There is a lot of difference in tube quality, and since with tube amp most of the sound depends on tubes, hi quality tubes can really make the amp sing. If you have a good quality amp, it is best that you buy the best tubes that you can get. If you have the money, I would suggest Mullard - they are the best of the best. Other great brand is Telefunken.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Oct 31 2008, 01:06 AM
How about this one?

Seriously, though, Mullards are very nice, but most are pricey. I would try out some JJ's if I were you, I actually just got some in my Mesa and they're sounding quite nice. As for preamp tubes, if you have a "high-gain" type of amp, you could give Electro-Harmonix a try. If you have a more vintage amp, give Tung-Sols a shot.

This post has been edited by Zephyr: Oct 31 2008, 01:08 AM

+Quote Post
reallylongnickna...
Oct 31 2008, 01:14 AM
I heard the Groove tubes EL34 are the top choice.

How do all rate the Marshall stock tubes?

This post has been edited by reallylongnickname: Oct 31 2008, 01:14 AM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 31 2008, 02:01 AM
Instructor
Marshall put worst tubes as stock in order to cut expenses.

Mullard are IMHO, and in opinion of lots of people the best tubes out there. Richest, fullest tone, and loudest.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Oct 31 2008, 02:02 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
reallylongnickna...
Oct 31 2008, 05:28 AM
Yikes! there not cheap.

I did some research and there Is a quest by people in search of these vintage tubes. There are Mullard reissued tubes that have poor review. Some reissued Mullards are made in Russia and other places. People are saying they don't sound quit like Mullards. There is something amiss.

The Mullard website based out of Canada, have them listed as made in England. If the tubes are labeled, made in England, is this a safe guide for getting the proper Mullard?

Here are the poor reviews for the reissued tubes. http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...+Power+Amp/10/1

This post has been edited by reallylongnickname: Oct 31 2008, 10:28 AM

+Quote Post
reallylongnickna...
Oct 31 2008, 10:07 AM
see previous post.

This post has been edited by reallylongnickname: Oct 31 2008, 10:24 AM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 31 2008, 11:02 AM
Instructor
My guess it's the safe guide. Just be sure to buy them out of a prospective company, not from eBay or something. Get it in one big tube selling online store, this way you'll be sure that they are original. Big stores can't afford to sell anything bad, or they are gone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Falcon_itSELF
Oct 31 2008, 06:52 PM
Believe it or not...

If you want hi gain... choose Shuguang...

I have a Carvin MTS-3200 and did the worst choise... I put JJ as preamp and power...

OK - it sounds ok! But... To full output needs be Shuguang....

You can choose Sovtek or Svetlana for Power tubes... but preamp choose Shuguang...

You need see the schematics of your amp... Each schematics have one unique Philosophy... So don´t put a tube that will modify this philosophy.

--------------------
My gear:

Esp KH-2 Ouija
Esp Ec-100 with X2n and PafPro
Carvin Mts-3200
Line-6 toneport RTAS
Project Mix I/O with ProTools

+Quote Post
MikeRidenour
Nov 2 2008, 12:26 PM
QUOTE (reallylongnickname @ Oct 30 2008, 07:14 PM) *
I heard the Groove tubes EL34 are the top choice.

How do all rate the Marshall stock tubes?

If everyone knew what Groove Tubes were they would never buy them. Groove Tubes are relabeled tubes from another manufacturer that are sold for three to five times the amount of the original tube price. Why pay that kind of mark up for the same tube? Groove Tubes is NOT a tube manufacturer. DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!! Go to http://www.thetubestore.com or call them. They can walk you through the hand full of global tube manufacturers (maybe a dozen worldwide) and get you set up with the right tubes for the sound and tone you are looking for. They are a Canadian company and really know their stuff. They can save you a lot of time and money. I buy all of my tubes from them.

Hope this helps,
Mike

--------------------
Classical And Electric Guitar Instructor
M.M. Guitar Performance
Visit The Guitar Academy of Western North Carolina
Send Me An Email

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Nov 3 2008, 01:19 AM
Hi,

Check out this link. Everything you ever wanted to know about tubes and much more.
http://www.eurotubes.com

tommyboy

This post has been edited by tommyboy: Nov 3 2008, 01:24 AM

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post
Falcon_itSELF
Nov 3 2008, 06:37 AM
QUOTE (MikeRidenour @ Nov 2 2008, 09:26 AM) *
If everyone knew what Groove Tubes were they would never buy them. Groove Tubes are relabeled tubes from another manufacturer that are sold for three to five times the amount of the original tube price. Why pay that kind of mark up for the same tube? Groove Tubes is NOT a tube manufacturer. DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!

The manufacturer is Shuguang =) but GT relabel it and sells much more expensive

--------------------
My gear:

Esp KH-2 Ouija
Esp Ec-100 with X2n and PafPro
Carvin Mts-3200
Line-6 toneport RTAS
Project Mix I/O with ProTools

+Quote Post
reallylongnickna...
Nov 11 2008, 01:28 AM
I've been doing some research and a company is gonna bring into production vacuum tubes from the original plant in Blackburn England that made the original Mullard tubes. Company is called MicroTech. The tubes are not out on the market yet. The release date keeps getting pushed ahead. I anxious to hear the reviews.
Here is quote from their web site:

"Welcome to the start of a new technology in thermionic valves
Here at Blackburn MicroTech Solutions we are using our 40 years of emission technology knowhow to bring the first complete new development of the thermionic valve since its initial production back in the 1930’s.
In September 2008 Blackburn Microtech Solutions will launch these techtubes. "

http://www.techtubevalves.com/index.php

This post has been edited by reallylongnickname: Nov 11 2008, 01:18 AM

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Nov 11 2008, 04:01 AM
QUOTE (reallylongnickname @ Nov 10 2008, 06:28 PM) *
I've been doing some research and a company is gonna bring into production vacuum tubes from the original plant in Blackburn England that made the original Mullard tubes. Company is called MicroTech. The tubes are not out on the market yet. The release date keeps getting pushed ahead. I anxious to hear the reviews.
Here is quote from their web site:

"Welcome to the start of a new technology in thermionic valves
Here at Blackburn MicroTech Solutions we are using our 40 years of emission technology knowhow to bring the first complete new development of the thermionic valve since its initial production back in the 1930’s.
In September 2008 Blackburn Microtech Solutions will launch these techtubes. "

http://www.techtubevalves.com/index.php

That's interesting, I wonder what the price will be?

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 11 2008, 04:20 AM
QUOTE (MikeRidenour @ Nov 2 2008, 06:26 AM) *
If everyone knew what Groove Tubes were they would never buy them. Groove Tubes are relabeled tubes from another manufacturer that are sold for three to five times the amount of the original tube price. Why pay that kind of mark up for the same tube? Groove Tubes is NOT a tube manufacturer. DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!! Go to http://www.thetubestore.com or call them. They can walk you through the hand full of global tube manufacturers (maybe a dozen worldwide) and get you set up with the right tubes for the sound and tone you are looking for. They are a Canadian company and really know their stuff. They can save you a lot of time and money. I buy all of my tubes from them.

Hope this helps,
Mike

I nominate you for the most useful post of the day award.

QUOTE (tommyboy @ Nov 2 2008, 07:19 PM) *
Hi,

Check out this link. Everything you ever wanted to know about tubes and much more.
http://www.eurotubes.com

tommyboy

I nominate you for a tie for most useful post of the day award. I once asked a guy from North Dakota what he did during the summer. His response was "I played a round of golf".

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Nov 12 2008, 02:37 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Nov 10 2008, 09:20 PM) *
I nominate you for the most useful post of the day award.

I nominate you for a tie for most useful post of the day award. I once asked a guy from North Dakota what he did during the summer. His response was "I played a round of golf".

I do the same! laugh.gif But love to fish also!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
reallylongnickna...
Nov 19 2008, 08:07 PM
Here is an update. This is a reply to my inquire to the Blackburn plant in England:

Thanks for your interest in our TechTubeTM valves.

Samples and larger volumes of the E813CC will be available for purchase when we launch the sales part of the web site now scheduled for the December as we fix the last few issues. Pricing, ordering, shipping and other such things will be on the WEB site as we are not going through dealers or distribution in the initial start up phase. Pricing will be £30 per valve (pricing in the US will be without VAT but duty will be payable if above the duty free limit) plus shipping which we are reviewing now with UPS. Discounts for larger volumes will be available once production is up to speed.

For further information, we are starting with the E813CC [12AX7 equiv], E812CC [12AU7 equiv] & E811CC [12AT7 equiv] valves this year and then looking to EL34, EL84, KT88 and KT99 for our Power Series. Which particular type to start with is still under discussion but we expect to launch in the mid part of 2009. An ECC88 [6DJ8 equiv] equivalent has been requested many times so we are looking to check it’s feasibility with our new triode design.

As for a comparison with your existing Mullard tubes, that is personal preference and ear perception. I would love to be able to say that the TechTubeTM valve will be “as good if not better” but I cannot, it’s your perception against mine, who’s right who’s wrong we could debate over several beers…

Due to the personal taste element we have not officially undertaken any “sound” comparisons as it is not possible to quantify the measurement method. What we have done is measured electrical parameters. We took genuine Blackburn Mullard ECC83s as our benchmark for gain and amplification variation and worked hard to reduce valve to valve spread as well as within valve variation for both parameters. The result: TechTubeTM valves that the general public will be able to buy from the web site in December.

Thanks for your anticipated patience and understanding that the wait is acceptable to ensure we delivery a better product.

With kind regards,

Andy Blades

Sales and Marketing Manager

This post has been edited by reallylongnickname: Nov 19 2008, 08:19 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 19 2008, 08:23 PM
Instructor
That's pretty cool, I guess these tubes will be excellent smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:41 PM