Send-return
Kizaze44
Feb 5 2009, 07:17 PM
GMC:er
Can anyone point me to some info regarding "Send-Return" on amps, and also "true bypass". For example, does your typical Boss Distortion pedal have true bypass?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Feb 5 2009, 07:45 PM
Instructor
If you want to use delay for example but after all effects in the chain including the distortion from the amp, the you use send/return. If you plug in your guitar into the delay peday and from there into the amp, your guitar signal is going to be processed by the delay pedal before it reaches the amp. It means you will have amp distortion on the already "delayed" sound. If you want to have delay after the distortion, then you plug your cable from the Amp's SEND into the delay pedal IN, and from delay OUT into the amp RETURN. That way you can have external effects processed as the last in the effects chain.

edit: bypass is when you're passing your effects, like they are not turned on, just your pure guitar signal coming through

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Emir Hot: Feb 5 2009, 07:46 PM

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 5 2009, 07:49 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Kizaze44 @ Feb 5 2009, 07:17 PM) *
Can anyone point me to some info regarding "Send-Return" on amps, and also "true bypass". For example, does your typical Boss Distortion pedal have true bypass?

Send return sits inbetween the preamp and the poweramp and it means you get a chance to add effects to your signal before it's scaled up in the poweramp section.

If you don't have anything plugged into the jacks it'll just be
preamp-->(send->return)-->poweramp

If you plug in an effect it'll look like
preamp-->send->effect->return-->poweramp

And a typical setup could look like
guitar-->distortion effect-->preamp-->send->delay effect->return-->poweramp-->speaker

So what's good about that? Some effects like delay and tremolo sounds better in the effects loop (so it's said but it's really up to your own eays. No rules apply to where to put an effect) while some will sound better put between the guitar and the input of the amp, like distortion and wah.

True bypass means that the signal passes through the pedal without the pedal altering the sound the least bit when inactive.
It's a difficult term and while reading about pedals the manufacturer is claiming to be true bypass some will say they are not. This goes for large manufacturers aswell, like Boss. The best way to find out if it's true bypass or not (no matter if the manufacturer claims it is) is to read reviews and what other musicians think.
When I've been reading up before buying my Ibanez tuner I got the impression from peoples reviews, and it wasn't just one, that Boss tuner altered the sound. Something you wouldn't want from a tuner that always sits there.
Same thing with the Boss noice gate, lots of reviewers says it adds to the sound. And they claim the Hush pedal doesn't. So basing ones desicions on people reviews can be a good guide while it also can be misleading. You have to sort among the reviewers and pick the ones you like to belive. Surely there are Boss haters out there that will trash boss at every chanse just like some hate MS and will take any opportunity to bash. You'd want to avoid those.

It's been discussed before that a long true bypass chain isn't really beneficial for your signal since a long chain will weaken the signal while a non true bypass pedal inbetween could buffer the sound and deliver the correct signal strength. So it's a bit divided wether you'd want true bypass in a long chain or not.
But there are studio guitar interface (SGI) pedals to put on each side of a signal path, one at the start and one in the end that will make the signal strengt just right when it leaves the signal path, hence a true bypass chain of effects would be possible at full signal strength.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Feb 5 2009, 07:55 PM

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Feb 5 2009, 08:44 PM
Learning Roadie
awesome explanations.. kudos to both of you guys..

you've managed to make me smarter today.. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Feb 5 2009, 09:31 PM
GMC:er
Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. What a great resource GMC is.

-Kiz

If I had the following pedals, how would you configure them?

Wah
Compressor
Overdrive/Distortion
Octave pedal
Phase 90
Stereo Chorus
Delay

And which ones go through send/return?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:30 PM