> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

17 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
Philm's Thread, for Gab's Army
philm
May 14 2015, 08:31 AM
GMC:er
Hey Gab, so I have managed to get a few new takes together.Here we go...

Rise Against Style
I started to practice this one again as I haven't fully mastered it. I think there are some timing issues on this take as well, here is the first take i posted a while ago and the new one below that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW-_w71f5mk

Lagwagon Automatic Song
I am now able to play this from start to finish. The two areas that I struggle a bit on are the solo and the first downpicked section. I also missed a note on the solo which really annoys me! mad.gif

A Day To Remember
I went a little faster on the tempo here to 110bmp. The part 16th note part and the main riff still need polishing and work on.

Bring Me The Horizon
This still needs a lot of work, I tried this also at a faster tempo. The part that's still really hard for me is the breakdown section. I find it really difficult hitting the pinched harmonic and then going to the palm muted notes. Its always hit and miss if I manage to get the pinched harmonic part or not. In this take its more often that I don't hit it. Do you have any advice here?

I have learned all the parts to whole skate punk lesson now but am not ready for a take yet. I also need to get back working on the bending and vibrato lessons which I have been a bit slacking on lately.

In general I haven't been able to practice as much recently due to a number of reasons one of them being my job. Which I have quit now! I am planning to to take a few months break before I commit to a new job which means in the next few months I will have more time to practice! Which I very much look forward to biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 14 2015, 04:12 PM
Instructor
Hi Philm! Thanks for these new takes!

Rise against: It's a very good take that need a little adjustment in timing, mostly on the main riff, the first one, which also appears in the end. That's the one that is giving more problems. So please isolate it and practice over metronome.

Lagwagon song: This one is also close and you already know the things you have to isolate and work for a while, so for it.

A Day to remember (wrong link but I found the right one at your channel): It's great to see that now you are playing the riffs right, with the correct quantity of notes. The intro break down as well as the bridge starting at 00:37 need to be polished. You have timing issues on both parts, but on the bridge is even more notorious.

BMTH: This one is sounding tighter! The fact that you are playing at a more comfortable tempo helps a lot. By the way, there are some moments that need to be polished. Every time your play 16th notes like at 00:26, your playing doesn't sound tight so once again, practice palm muted 16th notes over metronome every day. At 00:43, some extra timing issues appear so be careful there.

Well, I think that you are doing a good job with this stuff. During the next week, I think that you should put more focus on the parts that give problems instead of playing the whole thing over and over.

- 16th notes with palm muting at different tempos.
- Rise against intro
- Lagwagon Solo
- Lagwagon downpicking section.
- A day to remember riff and bridge
- BMTH breakdown

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
philm
May 15 2015, 05:29 PM
Hey Gab , thanks for your helpful feedback. Everything is clear to me on what I need to be working on. It seems like much less to work to work on just the parts I am struggling on rather than practicing the whole lessons over and over again so this makes sense. biggrin.gif .
I will try to practice each part of the lessons for 10 mins a day and then see where I am. The skate punk lessons I will try practice for 20mins a day.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 16 2015, 04:22 PM
Instructor
Exactly! That's the best plan for the next week. Enjoy it and keep me updated. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
May 27 2015, 07:29 PM
Hey Gab,
So I am back with some new takes. I wanted to be able to do weekly takes but that hasn't worked out at the moment, its about everything two weeks for now.

A Day To Remember
I am starting to feel a bit more comfortable with this lesson now. I focused mainly on the first riff and the 16th note patterns these last two weeks.

Bring Me The Horizon
This one is also getting more comfortable and I recorded this first take. I noticed that I have timing issues on the second riff where I am a bit ahead of the beat. I just think I wasn't concentrating here enough as in the previous take it was tighter.

Rise Against
I just can't seem to the get the intro riff timing right, I think its a little better but it needs work. Also the first bar of the palm muted section has bad timing too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1vwI4A3cmM

I was thinking of doing a take on the skate punk lesson at 150bmp but I recorded it and I have timing issues so I will try to sort that out first before I do a take.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 28 2015, 03:59 PM
Instructor
Hi Philm! Good job!

I can notice improvements on the 3 lessons. I can also note that you have problems in some specific sections of each lesson. For example, the main problem on ADTR lesson is the bridge, on BMTH the main issue starts at 00:52, and finally on Rise against the main problems are on the first section (intro + down picking rhythm). So, I recommend you to isolate and work on this sections a bit more. Practice over the drum loop or metronome and focus on timing which is the main problem.

Also, have you thought on trying some of these assignments?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...=54317&st=0

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Jun 1 2015, 09:15 PM
Hey gab, Thanks for your feedback on these lessons. I understand that timing is my main issue on them, thanks for the the really cool link to your assignments which I will definitely start straight away. I think its just what I need! biggrin.gif
I was wondering if you could provide me with the pod tone for the skate punk lesson. I couldn't find it on the pod tones board. I am having some timing issues with that lesson as well, I will try to do a quick audio take of the lesson for you to check. I am unsure how to count it especially the first riff, the timing is always off when I record back.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 2 2015, 02:13 PM
Instructor
Hi Philm! Here you can find all the Pod patches that I have available:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=49266

If the lesson is not there, it's because it was recorded with my previous pod which I lost my tones. sad.gif

However you can go for a similar tone used in other punk lesson.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Jun 3 2015, 08:01 PM
Hey Gab, I couldn't find the patch but never mind your right I can use one from another punk lesson. I am really struggling with timing on this lesson. I feel like when I play along I am in time but when I listen back on the recording its sounds terrible. I attached a very rough audio take at 150bmp for you to hear.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  SkatePunk_150bmp.wav ( 26.37MB ) Number of downloads: 46

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 4 2015, 01:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (philm @ Jun 3 2015, 04:01 PM) *
Hey Gab, I couldn't find the patch but never mind your right I can use one from another punk lesson. I am really struggling with timing on this lesson. I feel like when I play along I am in time but when I listen back on the recording its sounds terrible. I attached a very rough audio take at 150bmp for you to hear.

Hi Philm, yes, I can note the timing issues. It would be good if you practice this one at a slower tempo to be able to think on each riff and try to go tighter. Once you can play this tight at a slower tempo, you can gradually increase it.

The tone sounds good!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Jun 8 2015, 08:04 PM
Hey Gabs, thanks for this advice. The slowest backing track was 150bmp so I just started there but now made me realize I need to go painfully slow and build it up biggrin.gif. Gotta be more patient with myself!
I haven't been able to practice much this last few days so I won't do any new takes yet. Next week I will have more time again as I finish my job on Friday and take a few months out of work. So I plan to be practicing every day then.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 9 2015, 01:51 PM
Instructor
Hi Philm! This sounds very good. We need to organize your time wisely to get the best of it. How much time each day are you planning to practice?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Jun 15 2015, 03:26 PM
Hey Gab, Sorry for taking a while to reply last week was my last week at work and was quite busy. I am planning to play around one and a half hours to maybe two hours a day for the next 3 to 4 months. I may not always be able to play every weekend.
Here is want my plan could look like.

Rhythm
1.BMTH Style - Breakdown riff(10mins)
2.ADTR Style - 16th notes riff(10mins)
3.Rise Against Style- Intro riff and outro riff(10mins)
4.Lagwagon Automatic song - Solo and downpicking section(10mins)
5.Skate Punk Syle - Whole lesson(20mins)
6.Timing Assignments(10mins) - https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...=54317&st=0

Lead
1.Bending Beginner(10mins)
2.Vibrato Lesson(10mins)
3.Alternative Picking(10mins)
I would also like to lesson song style with more lead in, i haven't picked one yet.

Theory
Still quite sure where to start here.

What do you think? Any suggestions or something else to add or take away?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 15 2015, 05:59 PM
Instructor
Hi Philm, this plan sounds very good. I wouldn't add more stuff except by these ideas for the theory moment:

Instead of reading about theory I would take two roads:

a- Song analysis

b- Improvisation

On part a, the idea is that you choose 10 songs that you like and analyze their structure, arrangements approach and theory (tonality, chord progressions, melodic work). I will help you with the concepts that you don't know with links to theory board and explanations. The idea is that you get the most used concepts in your favorite music.

On part, you will choose a backing that you like, check the scales possibilities and improvise over it. I'll give you feedback and ideas on how to improve your jams.

What do you say?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Jun 16 2015, 04:31 PM
Yeah Gab this sounds like a much better idea. I will try to get together 10 songs for analysis. It's probably best to chose simpler songs at this start right? I'll also take a look for a backing track for the improvisation.

I attached my first attempt at the timing assignment. I have only practiced it for ten minutes so far. I can notice some little jumps in the timing so I will keep practicing it this whole week. I think these assignments are going to be really good for me though!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Timing_Ex1_Take1.wav ( 15.63MB ) Number of downloads: 51

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 17 2015, 02:00 PM
Instructor
Hi Philm, that sounds good. I also think that it's better to start with simple songs and see what happens. By the way, some songs that seem to be simple, aren't while other ones that seem to be tricky can be simple. It's time to explore.

About the timing, yeah, this workout will have a very important impact in your playing. This sample shows that you still need to work this rhythm and this tempo. Check my suggestions at the thread and keep going. Feel free to share your takes there to inspire other students to join.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Jun 18 2015, 05:08 PM
Hey Gab, So I just scrolled through spotify and picked out 10 possible songs for analysis.
The first five are punk songs as this is one of my favorite styles and I have learned a few punk lessons now.

1.Rise Against – Saviour
2.Sum 41 – The Hell Song
3.Millencolin – Penguins and Polarbears
4.Lagwagon – May 16th
5.Pennywise – Yesterdays

Some of these songs below I learned parts to pre - guitarmasterclass days biggrin.gif I don't know if it that's good for song analysis or not.

6.Biffy Clyro – Moutains
7.Billy Talent – Rusted By The Rain
8.Rage Against The Machine – Bombtrack
9.Foo Fighers – D.O.A
10.Weezer – Back To The Shack

So what do you think any of these songs suitable to start with?

Regarding the improvisation part. I was practicing the rise against lesson and stumbled across your rage against the machine lesson. I just started playing over it and came up with this riff. I have no idea if it comes from the correct scale or anything but it just kind of happened. It's almost a little embarrassing to share I have never done anything like this before but I attached a rough recording. It's basically one riff with a few variations. Do you think we can expand on this?

Attached File(s)
Attached File  RATM_Riff_Impro_v1_01.wav ( 15.14MB ) Number of downloads: 44

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 19 2015, 03:18 PM
Instructor
Hi Philm, the list of songs is perfect. Some of them are simpler and some others have some advanced elements, but it's ok to start with whichever you want. I can help you with the concepts that you can't get so please share your analysis here.

About the riffs improvisation, it's a great idea and it's suitable for the "Beyond the rec program" thread. That's exactly what I usually encourage students to do with gmc lessons. You can continue working on these ideas or save the riff for the near future when you have some song analysis and we decide to apply the concepts you learn.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Jun 22 2015, 03:08 PM
Ok Gab, I think I will start the song analysis with the Rise Against song "Savior". I am not quite sure how I should approach this. What should I exactly analyzing? The structure of the song, what techniques that are being used and what chords/scales are being used? I should have time tomorrow, to have a first attempt at it.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 22 2015, 03:30 PM
Instructor
I use a template that is a table with 3 columns: Structure // What's happening? (Arrangement) // Theory (Chords and Scales)

Complete this three columns based on that song, share the analysis here and I'll help you to get the most important elements from it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:38 AM