Guitar Plug In Recommendations.
dcz702
Apr 17 2015, 02:21 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I used to use amplitude, and I didn't like it to much. What are you guys using if your using a guitar plug in?
Any experiance here with guitar rig 5 from native instruments?
How about some sound clips if you guys got them.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 17 2015, 06:48 AM
GMC:er
This question comes up a TON so it's worth a good search box search beyond the thread responses IMHO. smile.gif But as everyone can tell you I"m a fan, in this order, of..

1.)Overloud TH2
2.)Scuffham S-Gear
3.)Guitar Rig
4.)BIAS

The real trick is to find good presets. Most stock presets are TERRIBLE, but not all of them, just most. Then again most presets I find online are pretty bad as well. So much so that I created a guitar rig 4 and guitar 4 preset thread here on GMC to keep presets that were worth keeping from gmc users who of course make the best patches of anyone on the web!!

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Apr 16 2015, 09:21 PM) *
I used to use amplitude, and I didn't like it to much. What are you guys using if your using a guitar plug in?
Any experiance here with guitar rig 5 from native instruments?
How about some sound clips if you guys got them.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 17 2015, 07:35 AM
Learning Tone Master
My order of choices:
- Guitar Rig 5
- Poulin

My favorite is Guitar Rig 5 and I can say that I personally found the tone that I wanted (after months of experiments biggrin.gif ). I'm very satisfied with Guitar Rig 5 and it's very easy for using.

Also if I need a specific dynamic response I use Poulin plugin. But for using Poulin, you also must collect other plugins like: TSE 808 ( it's a booster for additional gain or dynamics response change by adding some treble), Catharsis, Kefir (impulse loader).
Gabriel shared his Lepou Plugins Patches. You can find his patches here:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=52512

Todd has right and most of online presets are bad. We all have different tastes, guitars, pickups, that's why I always say: make your own preset because it's the only way to find the perfect tone for you wink.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 17 2015, 07:47 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Apr 17 2015, 07:35 AM) *
We all have different tastes, guitars, pickups,

Exactly, that's the reason why we perceive most presets as bad.

The same is also true for most patches I find online - they don't match my taste. So there is no real work around for putting the time into it, and testing a lot of different stuff.

The good part is that once you get more comfortable tweaking, you can adjust patches to your taste - and then you get a lot of different sounds to choose from.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 17 2015, 09:08 AM
Well said!!! Just like practice on guitar, you have to put time in and "practice" building patches just as you would "practice" getting a good tone out of your amp/pedals. After a while, it will seem very simple and easy and you'll be able to dial in a good patch/tone much more quickly, but at first it can be a bit time consuming and tedious.

One way to get a head start is to find some patches that you like and then mod those.

ALMOST FORGOT!!

I always think of EZMIX2 as a plugin for drums/vocals but it also is a fully fledges guitar sim with some pretty good built in presets and more presets for purchase by some very talented guys like the dudes from MESHUGGAH. It's the one package that I have not been put off badly by the stock presets. On the downside, you can't really create your own patches and you only have two knobs to make changes on ezmix2. But that's the point, it's quick, and easy smile.gif

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 17 2015, 02:47 AM) *
Exactly, that's the reason why we perceive most presets as bad.

The same is also true for most patches I find online - they don't match my taste. So there is no real work around for putting the time into it, and testing a lot of different stuff.

The good part is that once you get more comfortable tweaking, you can adjust patches to your taste - and then you get a lot of different sounds to choose from.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 17 2015, 09:10 AM
What Todd said + this; http://www.kuassa.com/products/amplifikation-vermilion/

...and a freeware called Emissary; http://www.igniteamps.com/en/audio-plug-ins

--------------------

+Quote Post
dcz702
Apr 18 2015, 05:41 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks for the replies always like reading everyone opinions hear. Ive heard a lot of good things about guitar rig 5, from reviews and demos. I've been having to use logics amp models cause I can't play through my amp much anymore due to the time I can play guitar is when the family is asleep, logics amps aren't bad at all, not that bad with a little bit of tweaking,so I was curious how guitar rig compares. I put a overdrive pedal before my interface to give it a little flavor.
With the amp modeling units out now like eleven rack and line 6 pod I'm wondering where to throw my money. The 11 and line 6 do a good job of modeling and they can be used for other things. But for just recording I'm wondering if I should just use a plug in like guitar rig, or the others mentioned

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 18 2015, 07:26 AM
Instructor
Hi mate, I'm currently using mostly Poulin plug ins with nice results. Monica has already shared my thread where you'll find my presets and links to the lessons to see how this presets sound on a real mix situation. Please have in mind that my lessons usually have a backing guitar and that I add some mixing process to make the whole thing sound professional. This means that sometimes I also use some extra plug ins to add reverb, delay, compression or some EQ to my guitar tracks.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 18 2015, 07:43 AM
The LOGIC amp models do well on CLEAN and LOW / MID GAIN but not so much high gain / lead gain IMHO. The gain structure starts to turn to mush at a certain point. I don't play through an amp anymore pretty much at all unless I"m doing something Live/Practice. At home, everything just goes through my krk monitors. IT's closer to what would happen in a studio in that you'd have a guitar / amp isolated somewhere and you'd hear it through your monitors. So using sims/plugins is along those lines, as if there is a big room with aloud amp somewhere. smile.gif

I'd suggest the 11 over any of the line 6 offerings but that's just me smile.gif I've tried the line 6 stuff all the way through their top of the line and the 11 seemed to have better high gain and more accurate amp behaviour. But some folks lOVE their line 6 stuff so it comes down to your ears smile.gif

I'd try the demos of ALL The plugins in contention before even thinking about putting money down. Same with the hardware if possible. smile.gif

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Apr 18 2015, 12:41 AM) *
Thanks for the replies always like reading everyone opinions hear. Ive heard a lot of good things about guitar rig 5, from reviews and demos. I've been having to use logics amp models cause I can't play through my amp much anymore due to the time I can play guitar is when the family is asleep, logics amps aren't bad at all, not that bad with a little bit of tweaking,so I was curious how guitar rig compares. I put a overdrive pedal before my interface to give it a little flavor.
With the amp modeling units out now like eleven rack and line 6 pod I'm wondering where to throw my money. The 11 and line 6 do a good job of modeling and they can be used for other things. But for just recording I'm wondering if I should just use a plug in like guitar rig, or the others mentioned

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 18 2015, 08:17 AM
Learning Tone Master
The better choice it's to try and choose what it fit with your taste. We have different opinions because (I will repeat myself) we have different tastes. Don't buy something without to try before. Sometimes we think that a plugin/hardware it's easy for using and sounds great because we know how to work with it wink.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 18 2015, 02:25 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Apr 18 2015, 08:17 AM) *
The better choice it's to try and choose what it fit with your taste. We have different opinions because (I will repeat myself) we have different tastes. Don't buy something without to try before. Sometimes we think that a plugin/hardware it's easy for using and sounds great because we know how to work with it wink.gif

Along with this, I would look to something that has online downloading/forums , where people like to share sounds, this feature might be worth a little extra and might not even have to pay to get it.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 18 2015, 05:03 PM
I prefer to compare to each other. We had a s-gear topic I guess a week ago where Todd's eq request was implemented and I requested a second demo (first demoed 2-3 years ago) to try it out.

I opened the go-to stuff on my DAW and started critical listening as I played through the sounds. I also opened backing tracks etc. and slowly disabled the weaker sounding ones (I have a bunch of stuff I gathered over the years). Didn't spare a long time tweaking them, if it takes too long to get a good sound then to me its not good anyway...

Choosing one is way too personal but it did help me notice some nice stuff I haven't been opening for a while smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Apr 18 2015, 05:04 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 18 2015, 07:38 PM
ALWAYS a great idea to do a PLUGIN SHOOTOUT!! Download all the demos, record a dry track and just change the plugin on the track as you listen. IT will let you focus on tone and not playing smile.gif That's the great thing about plugins, you can change the tone at any time. This is why I always suggest recording a dry/nofx/direct track no matter what, when you are recording even if you are using an amp/processor. That way you can always go back and mod the tone to make it sit better in a mix or what not smile.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 18 2015, 12:03 PM) *
I prefer to compare to each other. We had a s-gear topic I guess a week ago where Todd's eq request was implemented and I requested a second demo (first demoed 2-3 years ago) to try it out.

I opened the go-to stuff on my DAW and started critical listening as I played through the sounds. I also opened backing tracks etc. and slowly disabled the weaker sounding ones (I have a bunch of stuff I gathered over the years). Didn't spare a long time tweaking them, if it takes too long to get a good sound then to me its not good anyway...

Choosing one is way too personal but it did help me notice some nice stuff I haven't been opening for a while smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 20 2015, 11:18 AM
There is a great collection of heads from Acme Bar Gig which you can find HERE!!
smile.gif

There's also a thread I started a while ago where people listed their favourite FREE Vsts etc! You can find that HERE.
smile.gif smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Apr 20 2015, 11:20 AM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:41 AM