Guitar Rig 5? Is It Worth It?
TreyDeschamp
Sep 6 2012, 02:57 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I've been heavily looking for something better than Garageband. Is Guitar Rig worth it? I record a lot so I want something that will give me great quality for the buck.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Sep 6 2012, 09:21 AM
GMC:er
YES IT IS!!!
IT'S A LOT BETTER THEN GUITAR RIG 4!!
Check out Todd's topic for GR patches

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 6 2012, 03:12 PM
QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Sep 5 2012, 09:57 PM) *
I've been heavily looking for something better than Garageband. Is Guitar Rig worth it? I record a lot so I want something that will give me great quality for the buck.

Short answer YES. smile.gif The new Guitar Rig 5 isn't just for guitar. It's an entire suite of audio joy. IT has presets for Drums, Bass, Guitar, Vocals, etc. It's an fx platform.

Also, it's expandable. It's just a container so you can add new bits as you go. Like new rack processors, etc. The spiff news is

GUITAR RIG PLAYER IS FREE!!!!

IT's a fully functioning version, not a demo. Just a free limited version.

Here is the comparison chart.

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/pro...-pro/?page=2496

But yeah, look for a good price and go for it. I"ve got 4 and 5 and I use both for all kinds of stuff. Try my presets out too!!!! wink.gif

+Quote Post
korblitz
Sep 6 2012, 03:23 PM
Yes...I did this. Free Guitar Hero 5 is awesome.

I try now S-Gear 2 is even better than Guitar Rig or Amplitube.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Sep 6 2012, 04:40 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Its pretty awesome for guitar and bass. Cleans, lead and solo tones are all very smooth and crisp. However, for high or low gain metal I think the heads really lack something that the other programs free and paid provide, warmth and power. I have spent much time with Guitar Rig 5, had it since it came out and have played with it for a good 150 hours just on tones, and the rhythm tones don't cut it for me. A simple setup never seems to yield anything I want and if you add too much it can be a real CPU hog (especially in hi-res mode). Running multiple instances of guitar rig can really bog down your PC as well.

Alternatively, I would recommend Peavey Revalver because the level of customization is completely unrivaled, although you would have to sink in some serious time if you want to do full circuit customization (which you can do, along with altering your tubes and making custom speakers), but other than that the impulses they provide are far superior in quality to anything guitar rig's cabinets offer, and with a simple Tube screamer > amp > cab setup you can make solid tones. The clean on Revalver are much more articulate, and 'real', its much more dynamic.

While it has presets for other instruments, besides guitar and bass GR5 is only ( to me ) an effects power house. You can make some REALLY cool effects with it, I use it on vocals a lot, but I wouldnt do any serious vocal or drum processing with it - it just doesnt compare to what EQ staging and compression can do from other plugins.

So all in all, its great, just know what you want from it. I use it for leads, and some cleans, and effects on vocals. Everything else it provides I find to be lacking. You'll find yourself unhappy with your tone pretty quick, or at least thats my experience with it.

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 6 2012, 04:46 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I have it but to be honest I didn't try it yet. But from what I heard it i very good, better than the previous version, which was anything but bad.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Sep 6 2012, 04:50 PM
QUOTE (korblitz @ Sep 6 2012, 02:23 PM) *
Yes...I did this. Free Guitar Hero 5 is awesome.

What Amp SImulations u have in Guitar Hero? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Sep 6 2012, 05:12 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 7 2012, 03:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 6 2012, 11:12 AM) *
Short answer YES. smile.gif The new Guitar Rig 5 isn't just for guitar. It's an entire suite of audio joy. IT has presets for Drums, Bass, Guitar, Vocals, etc. It's an fx platform.

Also, it's expandable. It's just a container so you can add new bits as you go. Like new rack processors, etc. The spiff news is

GUITAR RIG PLAYER IS FREE!!!!

IT's a fully functioning version, not a demo. Just a free limited version.

Here is the comparison chart.

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/pro...-pro/?page=2496

But yeah, look for a good price and go for it. I"ve got 4 and 5 and I use both for all kinds of stuff. Try my presets out too!!!! wink.gif

wou! this sounds great! I haven't give it a try yet! I must do it! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
gregc1
Sep 7 2012, 03:23 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I have GR3 and still love it so I feel very confident that GR4-5 are even better so I would say YES!

Also wanted to throw out that it works like a charm with GarageBand. I use those together for my recording.

You may not get the most professional sound just using those two programs but it would be hard to convince me that there's an easier way to sit down and record something that has very decent quality.

This post has been edited by gregc1: Sep 7 2012, 03:27 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
korblitz
Sep 7 2012, 03:34 PM
You should also try out S-Gear. I really think it's a good rival to Guitar Rig

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 8 2012, 06:03 AM
It's really worth giving it a shot. It changed the way I record and practice and do video chats. I now use Guitar Rig for every video chat lesson. It works great and only goes in to my headphones and broadcaster.

Todd

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 7 2012, 10:15 AM) *
wou! this sounds great! I haven't give it a try yet! I must do it! smile.gif

Well said smile.gif This is the best kept secret about guitar rig. That's its really a modular effects platform for pretty much any kind of audio. Just killer.

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Sep 6 2012, 11:40 AM) *
Its pretty awesome for guitar and bass. Cleans, lead and solo tones are all very smooth and crisp. However, for high or low gain metal I think the heads really lack something that the other programs free and paid provide, warmth and power. I have spent much time with Guitar Rig 5, had it since it came out and have played with it for a good 150 hours just on tones, and the rhythm tones don't cut it for me. A simple setup never seems to yield anything I want and if you add too much it can be a real CPU hog (especially in hi-res mode). Running multiple instances of guitar rig can really bog down your PC as well.

Alternatively, I would recommend Peavey Revalver because the level of customization is completely unrivaled, although you would have to sink in some serious time if you want to do full circuit customization (which you can do, along with altering your tubes and making custom speakers), but other than that the impulses they provide are far superior in quality to anything guitar rig's cabinets offer, and with a simple Tube screamer > amp > cab setup you can make solid tones. The clean on Revalver are much more articulate, and 'real', its much more dynamic.

While it has presets for other instruments, besides guitar and bass GR5 is only ( to me ) an effects power house. You can make some REALLY cool effects with it, I use it on vocals a lot, but I wouldnt do any serious vocal or drum processing with it - it just doesnt compare to what EQ staging and compression can do from other plugins.

So all in all, its great, just know what you want from it. I use it for leads, and some cleans, and effects on vocals. Everything else it provides I find to be lacking. You'll find yourself unhappy with your tone pretty quick, or at least thats my experience with it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:13 PM