Oct 6 2008, 06:30 PM
GMC:er
Hello!

im looking for a new amp head.
i have not much money so i choose one of these:

1. MARSHALL MG100HDFX
2. LINE6 SPIDER III HD 150
3. RANDALL KH-120RH

and additionally maybe (BOSS ML-2, ELECTRO HARMONIX METAL MUFF, or whatever)

Has anyone experiences with one of these?

i want a nice sound, for metal/metalcore

what would be a good choice?

thanks
BobY

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by .:BobY:.: Oct 7 2008, 06:01 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Oct 6 2008, 06:33 PM
Learning Tone Master
Not the best possible amps dude...

1.How much money do you have to spend?
2. How loud does it have to be? (rehearsal/gigs or bedroom use)
3. Tube, Hybrid or Solid State

Those are all amp heads! Do you have a cab for them?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Oct 6 2008, 06:37 PM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 6 2008, 06:37 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Between the three I'd go for the Randall Kirk Hammet

+Quote Post
skennington
Oct 6 2008, 06:38 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
I just sold my Marshall MG100HDFX half stack. I get better tone through line 6 Gearbox software than I did with that amp.

+Quote Post
.:BobY:.
Oct 6 2008, 06:39 PM
i know these are not the best, but i have only a small budget for the top.. about 400€ (austria/germany)
it should be loud enough for small gigs..

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Oct 6 2008, 06:44 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (.:BobY:. @ Oct 6 2008, 07:39 PM) *
i know these are not the best, but i have only a small budget for the top.. about 400€ (austria/germany)
it should be loud enough for small gigs..

I still need to know if you already have a cab for those ampheads, otherwise you'll have to buy one too...

If you have a cab and 400 euros to spend than go for this tube mosnter metal amp:
http://www.thomann.de/de/peavey_valve_king_head.htm

(Die knapp 50 Euro wirst du wohl noch zusammenkratzen können oder? wink.gif )

The Valveking is a 100 watt all tube amp with an amazing Metal tone and a good clean channel for a small price!

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Oct 6 2008, 06:52 PM
@ZakkWylde: ganz klar brauch ich den Rest auch noch, aber mir gehts grundlegend einmal um das Topteil und einen guten Sound =)
ich werd den mir VALVE KING mal genauer unter die Lupe nehmen.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 6 2008, 06:53 PM
english please

+Quote Post
Oct 6 2008, 06:59 PM
sry..

@ZakkWylde: of course i need the other things too.. but im looking now for a good TOP with a nice sound.
i will take a look on this VALVE KING.

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Oct 6 2008, 07:03 PM
i don't know if they're available in europe or not, but u could look up BUGERA amps. they're pretty cheap, but they deliver a brutal sound for the money. i don't if know if they're in your budget, though(they're about 500-700 USD)

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Oct 6 2008, 07:04 PM
Hm this valve king has sparked my interest...I may have to look into it as well....

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Oct 6 2008, 07:05 PM
Learning Tone Master
Bugera amps are just behringer made copies of Peavy amps... They sound good but the quality is horrible on Bugeras^^

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Oct 6 2008, 07:14 PM
Concerning the quality, one of my bands mates has a Bugera 333XL Head, and he's had it for about 2 months, and its holds up like a tank. he simply swithced out the stock tubes for some quality JJs and Groove Tubes (i think) and it works and sounds just fine. Behringer or not, they're still great for the money

EDIT: to below, i don't know the other brand of tubes my friend put in, he just told me names, and JJ is the ony one I remember =/

This post has been edited by Fullmetal_Tmd: Oct 6 2008, 07:26 PM

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Oct 6 2008, 07:15 PM
Groove tubes aren't quality. They're relabeled Russian tubes from what I've heard...

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 6 2008, 07:39 PM
QUOTE (Fullmetal_Tmd @ Oct 6 2008, 08:03 PM) *
i don't know if they're available in europe or not, but u could look up BUGERA amps. they're pretty cheap, but they deliver a brutal sound for the money. i don't if know if they're in your budget, though(they're about 500-700 USD)

Yes they are available in Europe at low cost. And like you say they deliver brutal sound for the money. But from what I've heard they suffer from really bad quality.
- Loose knobs
- Picks up radio stations
- Non functioning noise gates
- Non functioning texture knob

And it makes sense really. There's no way one could deliver such a cheap 100-120W all tube amp without cutting costs somewhere. What Bugera has managed is to show a killer amp on paper and spend a fair deal on commercials. In the other end that leads to loose plastic knobs and all in all low production cost.

I was very keen on the Bugera series before it was released, I could still see and understand it would have it's pros and cons being so cheap. But too bad, I've heard a lot of them go up in flames even. One just have to realize, there are no free lunches sad.gif

Hope your band buddys amp will hold up.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 6 2008, 09:38 PM
Instructor
If you want metalcore sound, Marshall and Spider will not deliver it. The closest you will get is with Randall.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 6 2008, 09:48 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
So you are not looking for a combo amp , just the head - you have your own speaker cabinet to plug it in ?? Tell us what style of music you play mostly...

Regarding Behringer and similar , they have some models that "work" and I've seen some bass heads in action working very hard for years so they are not all bad...And sound is decent.Also some product are better copies than others , for example BDI21 di box/preamp.But its really a gamble (because of low production quality) and you never know what you get..But with warranty of 1 or more years you can make a calculation if its worth it..

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Oct 6 2008, 09:49 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:29 AM