#37 Blues Scale Lick With Pinch Harmonic, Let's combine a couple of things we've done in to one lick!
Todd Simpson
Jul 21 2018, 08:34 PM
GMC:er
INTRO
This time let's combine two bits that we've worked on in to one lick. Let's do a familiar scale run pattern using the blues scale (this pattern typically just uses the pentatonic without the blues note), and end the lick on a pinch harmonic. The Pinch is, again, on a wound string. Don't let this throw you. There is only one pinch in the lick at the very end. Then let's try the same lick one octave up on the neck by moving to the 12th fret. The lick is in the key of E. So this lick will work with pretty much any backing in the key of E.

KEEP A GOOD PALM MUTE on this. Try to make sure you plant your palm on the bridge and try to pick with the thumb and first finger without moving your hand. I have been seeing a lot of folks lately who could use a bit of work on this sort of picking technique, thus this Quick Licks! It's a simple lick that can get your technique back on track. Also, we are doing a bit of vibrato on the pinch. It helps it ring out and sounds cool smile.gif This is another chance to work on Vibrato but in the context of a pinch licks

*Make sure to watch the vid!.

*NOTE: Pay Special attention to letting your thumb graze by the string after the strike, this is what creates the harmonic squeal. Mute a bit harder than normal and strike harder than normal for the pinch. Also try to add some Vibrato to the Pinch.

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS : Give yourself a break if you have trouble getting this one on the first few tries. You can play this. Be patient with yourself. Play it slowly, getting the pattern down takes a few passes. Your fingers may rebel against you a bit since the pattern is a bit different that what is normally played.

Attached Image

Attached File  37.gp5 ( 2.03K ) Number of downloads: 122

BTW:
Please let me know if you have any questions about this lick, send me a PM if you like or post here. I'm happy to help!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 21 2018, 08:34 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Phil66
Nov 21 2018, 07:19 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Is the other way around for me buddy. I'm struggling on the 2nd fret not the 14th wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Todd Simpson   #37 Blues Scale Lick With Pinch Harmonic   Jul 21 2018, 08:34 PM
- - Todd Simpson   I've been trying out a lot of picks lately and...   Jul 22 2018, 01:12 AM
- - fzalfa   Hi Todd i work on since the start of the week, bu...   Jul 27 2018, 07:42 PM
|- - Todd Simpson   You can do it!!! Which part is causing...   Jul 28 2018, 01:24 AM
nnn
- - Phil66   WOW, thinking of giving up on this one. Tried for ...   Nov 20 2018, 09:33 PM
|- - Todd Simpson   If you can grab the low one, that would be more th...   Nov 20 2018, 10:44 PM
nnn
|- - Todd Simpson   That's interesting for sure. Most folks have m...   Nov 21 2018, 08:52 PM
nnn
- - onetabmat   RE: #37 Blues Scale Lick With Pinch Harmonic   Nov 22 2018, 08:44 PM
|- - Todd Simpson   Nice!! This one is very close to the previ...   Nov 26 2018, 08:54 PM
nnn
- - Phil66   Take 1 for scrutiny Todd. The pinches are weak but...   Nov 25 2018, 09:45 PM
- - Phil66   Thanks Todd, I deliberately used a lower gain set...   Nov 26 2018, 09:01 PM
|- - Todd Simpson   Thats very true!! if you can get them with...   Nov 26 2018, 10:31 PM
nnn
- - Caelumamittendum   RE: #37 Blues Scale Lick With Pinch Harmonic   May 18 2019, 05:25 AM
|- - Todd Simpson   Impressive! You got every single note in both ...   May 25 2019, 08:56 PM
nnn
- - Adam   RE: #37 Blues Scale Lick With Pinch Harmonic   Dec 2 2020, 10:49 PM
- - Todd Simpson   The ending on this one is difficult by design. You...   Dec 4 2020, 02:41 AM
nnn
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:13 PM