Some Thinking About My Ibanez
Marek Rojewski
Sep 30 2009, 05:42 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Hi there GMC'ers! I have to much time, as I visited my cousins at Northern Ireland, and I couldn't take the guitar to the plane. I started to wonder what should I do with my second guitar - Ibanez RG 370B (don't know what are the big differences between B and Dx, if there are any except the markers on the fretboard). Anyway - the guitar has a "floyd rose" bridge, but this bridge is of the crappy ibanez bridges family, so it really can't be used and maintain tuning. So now it is my second guitar, that can't be retuned fast, and I can't use the only thing that this guitar has and my schecter devil doesn't. It isn't a prestige/valuable model, so the only reason to keep it, is that's my first electric guitar ever, so it is bit sentimental. And here is the main question, and three answers that can be given:

1.Spend some money on this guitar, for example replacing the crappy bridge with a better one, and painting the guitar to look cooler.

2. Trying to make a average guitar a good guitar is a waste of time, so just sell this guitar, save more and buy another better one.

3. Keep the guitar on the wall and don't use it, as I won't get much money for it anyway.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
berko
Sep 30 2009, 05:54 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Sep 30 2009, 06:42 PM) *
3. Keep the guitar on the wall and don't use it, as I won't get much money for it anyway.

That's the reason why you should definitely keep it IMO!

You'll hardly get any money for it but it still has it's value because it was your first guitar... You don't have to rush any upgrades unless you're in desperate need of a back up guitar. Until then it won't do any harm if you just kept it in a safe place and maybe a few years later you'll find it cool to just pick it up again, repaint it, get a new bridge or even pups for it and have a blast. And it's always nice to have a spare axe around just in case, no matter how it is a pain to retune it smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Sep 30 2009, 05:58 PM
Learning Tone Master
Try to get some money for it. If you can't sell it for a good price, hang it on the wall!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 30 2009, 06:06 PM
I'm sure Marc will correct me if I'm wrong but AFIK the DX will only be available in White with Black Hardware. It's the same as a 350 DX except that the 350 has a scratchplate and the 370 has a Back Routed Body and Ring Mounted pups!

Personally I'd keep the guitar and maybe come back to it and upgrade it at a later date, especially if you don't think you'll get a good price for it!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
wrk
Sep 30 2009, 07:14 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Just wondering ... how it come that the cheaper Ibanez models/trems have such a bad reputation here lately?

I have a RG350DX and it's the same trem like on the RG370 as far as i know(?). The material of the bridge is maybe not of best quality and will ware out more quickly over the years. The trem bar is not as handy as on more expensive models, but as far as tuning stability goes the trem works really well.

I would advise you to keep your guitar and spend some serious time in doing a nice setup. Try to figure out the sweet spot between spring and string tension, trem parallel to the body, etc .. and your guitar will stay in tune.

and ... you never want to let go your first guitar anyway laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Sep 30 2009, 07:28 PM
i think marek what you are missing is a good set up for your edge 3 trem. I used one for years and never had a problem. they arent professional quality, but they are good non the less...better than licensed floyd roses.

Rg320

are essentially the same! sensible was close!

DX just means it has sharktooth inlays. the 50 means it has a pickguard, and the 70 means its H S H no pickguard, and the 320 means its H H no pickguard wink.gif

for ibanez , the 1st number in the model name is the most important. that tells you the features.

3 series: 320, 350, 370 - edge 3 trem, inf pick ups

4 series : 420 450 470 - edge 3 trem, V7,V8 pick ups

you get the idea wink.gif

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 30 2009, 08:40 PM
Instructor
I vote for option number 3. No point investing in this old guitar, just keep it as a sentimental value as you say yourself. Just lock the bridge down, and keep it as a backup. It won't get much better if you upgrade some of the components, it may be wiser to invest in some new quality gear.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
djohnneay
Sep 30 2009, 10:05 PM
I would also go for option 3. If you won't get (a lot of) money for it, you'd better keep it, if you've got the room. Also, a guitar hangin' on the wall always looks nice smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Sep 30 2009, 11:01 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Thanks for Your help guys! I had a gut feeling about this, just wasn't sure. I will also try to have some set-up tweaks, maybe it will become a bit better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Oct 1 2009, 01:41 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Sep 30 2009, 08:28 PM) *
... lot of knowledge about guitars ...

How do you know all this ? Is that your job or something ? smile.gif

By the way, I have the exact same problem than you Marek, with my RG270 and Floyd Rose and a solution that came out of this forum was to buy a Tremol-no to fix the bridge which is, I think, the biggest problem on those Ibanez guitars. This will allow you to continue using your tremolo and floyd but will keep it in tune. Well, I hope so at least. smile.gif

Is that the same problem you have ?

I will keep my guitar and probably buy a good one in a few months without any floyd and probably a good tremolo.

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
Gus
Oct 2 2009, 04:24 PM
I think the best option is

4. If you have a friend that is starting on guitar, sell for him for a really cheap price. Just sell for a price which is real gift, don't try to make money of it wink.gif
That way it would be in good hands, it would still be used and you can get some of your investment back.

Otherwise, option 3.

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Joruus
Oct 2 2009, 04:53 PM
I think option 3 is best, otherwise option 4 is nice aswell.

I sold my first guitar and sometimes regret it a bit (eventhough it sucked tongue.gif), but the good part is i sold it to a friend who now still plays it smile.gif

And my 350DX with edge3 has Very stable tuning, i only need to make tiny adjustments with the finetuners from time to time..
I like my lo-pro bridge more but don't think the edge 3 is bad at all.

--------------------
Gear:
Guitars: Ibanez Jem 7vwh, Ibanez RG 350 DX, Gibson Les Paul Studio
Effects: Line 6 PODxt + FBV MKII Express pedal
Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 15

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Oct 2 2009, 07:08 PM
your RG270 comes with the dreaded single locking trem...meaning it locks at the headstock, but has a fender style way of loading strings in the bridge. so what happens is the "balls" on the strings slip around when you use the trem which cause you to go out of tune. i had a 270 once...great neck, god awful trem.

the edge 3 though (the one marrek has) is a really good trem, just needs a pro set up, but blocking is also a good idea with the tremel-no

QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Oct 1 2009, 05:41 AM) *
How do you know all this ? Is that your job or something ? smile.gif

By the way, I have the exact same problem than you Marek, with my RG270 and Floyd Rose and a solution that came out of this forum was to buy a Tremol-no to fix the bridge which is, I think, the biggest problem on those Ibanez guitars. This will allow you to continue using your tremolo and floyd but will keep it in tune. Well, I hope so at least. smile.gif

Is that the same problem you have ?

I will keep my guitar and probably buy a good one in a few months without any floyd and probably a good tremolo.

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Animal
Nov 18 2009, 06:51 PM
I know this thread is a month old, but I thought I'd chime in. smile.gif

I have an Ibanez RGR320EX with the Edge 3 trem. I also had problems keeping the thing in tune and was about to sell it. I spent around $35 on a Hipshot Tremsetter and once I put it in, the majority of my tuning problems went away. It isn't perfect, but it's enough of an improvement that I don't feel the need to sell it.

--------------------

Guitars : Fender Strat, Epi Les Paul, Ibanez RG
Amp : Line 6 Pod X3
Influences : Pink Floyd, Santana, Metallica, Megadeth, Nightwish, Satch, Vai
Level : Early Intermediater (just over 3 years)

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Nov 18 2009, 08:13 PM
im almost 100% sure its your set up animal (no offense)

Ive been dealing with the Edge 3 for 6 years and i really never had any tuning problems with them on any ibanez guitar. a lot of people have trouble leveling the trem,

look at this guide:http://forum.ibanez.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=69978

it might help,

however blocking a trem will always do good!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Joruus
Nov 19 2009, 05:24 PM
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Nov 18 2009, 08:13 PM) *
im almost 100% sure its your set up animal (no offense)

Same here.. my RG350dx stays in tune very well, it needs tuning only a little bit more often then my Jem with lo-pro trem!

edit: oops i see i said something alike a few posts up.. didnt notice this thread is so old ;D

This post has been edited by Joruus: Nov 19 2009, 05:25 PM

--------------------
Gear:
Guitars: Ibanez Jem 7vwh, Ibanez RG 350 DX, Gibson Les Paul Studio
Effects: Line 6 PODxt + FBV MKII Express pedal
Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 15

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Nov 19 2009, 05:31 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Guitars are like girlfriends, you'll never forget your first one...and maybe never wanna let go!
I'd keep the guitar, maybe you'll come back to playing her in a few years, or she'll be a nice decoration for your wall.
I still use my first guitar, because everything about her is perfect. I sometimes use other guitars, but I always come back to my first, an Oakland ZX1200.
See, I even speak of my guitar as a female!

This post has been edited by Gitarrero: Nov 19 2009, 05:32 PM

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Nov 19 2009, 05:36 PM
QUOTE (Animal @ Nov 18 2009, 05:51 PM) *
I know this thread is a month old, but I thought I'd chime in. smile.gif

I have an Ibanez RGR320EX with the Edge 3 trem. I also had problems keeping the thing in tune and was about to sell it. I spent around $35 on a Hipshot Tremsetter and once I put it in, the majority of my tuning problems went away. It isn't perfect, but it's enough of an improvement that I don't feel the need to sell it.

I agree with Joruus here, I have a 350DX with an Edge 3 and I've not had a problem with the tuning at all. Sounds like yours just needs setting up correctly!
biggrin.gif

Just ask if you need a hand to set it up!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 19 2009, 06:35 PM
Instructor
Get a better new one, so number 2

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:47 PM