GuitarPro Tabs At Gmc, A sample tab off "Petrucci lesson" - what do you think?
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 21 2007, 10:11 AM
GMC Founder
Hey there!

I have been investigating the possibilty of having someone transcribe all of our lessons (and the upcoming ones) in Guitar Pro format.

I am not very used to these kind of tabs so I'd like to ask you what you think about this sample tab...is it a good/accurate transcription?

Attached File  John_Petrucci_Style_Lesson.gp5 ( 3.26K ) Number of downloads: 296

Kris biggrin.gif

PS If you don't have guitarpro you can get the test version for free here.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Leijon
Mar 21 2007, 11:07 AM
GMC:er
I think it would be great!
However, I would prefer if we used the PowerTab format since it is freeware. Admittedly I don´t really know the differences between the programs, perhaps there are some great features in Guitar Pro that does not exist in PowerTab. If it is the same, I vote PowerTab.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Leijon: Mar 21 2007, 11:09 AM

--------------------
Leijon, Sweden
Guitars:
Taylor T5 Standard S1
Fender Classic Series '60s Custom Telecaster with Bigsby
Amp
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Stuff:
Boss ME 80 multieffect
Zoom Player 2020 (yeah!)
sore fingers...

+Quote Post
Robin
Mar 21 2007, 12:07 PM
QUOTE (Leijon @ Mar 21 2007, 11:07 AM) *
I think it would be great!
However, I would prefer if we used the PowerTab format since it is freeware. Admittedly I don´t really know the differences between the programs, perhaps there are some great features in Guitar Pro that does not exist in PowerTab. If it is the same, I vote PowerTab.

PowerTab indeed, becuase it is free smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 21 2007, 12:29 PM
GMC Founder
Good points - I would really be interested in what everyone thinks about this, so I can tell our transcriber what to go for. smile.gif

Are the advantages of guitarpro worth paying for?

Are there any converter tools that work and that would allow us to have both?

Do you guys think this was a good transcription? Sounds good to me but I can't really tell what role the strange midi guitar sounds plays in my perception of the tab...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Leijon
Mar 21 2007, 12:52 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 21 2007, 12:29 PM) *

If I am not mistaken, Guitar Pro can read PowerTab tabs while PowerTab can´t read Guitar Pro tabs. I have no idea how "good" the conversion is, perhaps someone with Guitar Pro can try? If at all possible, try converting a PowerTab tab with multiple instruments, that would give us an idea of how good the conversion is.

I really have no problem paying for Guitar Pro, I just haven´t seen the need yet since PowerTab works good for me and there are loads of tabs for it, most songs exist for both programs.

The new "sound engine" for Guitar Pro promises more realistic instruments, is that true?I will download the trial when I get home, but am curious...

This post has been edited by Leijon: Mar 21 2007, 12:53 PM

--------------------
Leijon, Sweden
Guitars:
Taylor T5 Standard S1
Amp
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Stuff:
Boss ME 80 multieffect
Zoom Player 2020 (yeah!)
sore fingers...

+Quote Post
Brandon2002
Mar 21 2007, 01:12 PM
hi, i have guitar pro 5. ive never used power tab =/ but maybe i could offer a little insight on GP5. it cannot read power tab, in fact it wouldnt even recognize it to open the file. when i did get GP5 to try to open a powertab file it said "load error", so thats not possible unless the company offers some kind of converter.
leijon unfortunetly unless you buy the program i dont think your going to get the RSE feature, but it does make GP5 sound a little less like a midi file, which is cool. all in all i think GP5 is a great program unfortunetly it gets buggy sometimes and will crash, one thing i like about it is you can change your tuning.. and GP5 will transcribe the tab to whatever tuning your guitar is in. there are way to many features to list but anyways im going to download powertab then maybe i can help out alot more.

--------------------
~ old habits die hard ~

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 21 2007, 01:50 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 21 2007, 12:29 PM) *

There are a couple of open source projects that may (or may not) work.
Tuxguitar - don't know if it works for gp5
Dguitar - up to gp4 only

Someone perhaps could try these two out and return with an answer

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 21 2007, 02:22 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Brandon2002 @ Mar 21 2007, 08:12 AM) *
hi, i have guitar pro 5. ive never used power tab =/ but maybe i could offer a little insight on GP5. it cannot read power tab, in fact it wouldnt even recognize it to open the file. when i did get GP5 to try to open a powertab file it said "load error", so thats not possible unless the company offers some kind of converter.
leijon unfortunetly unless you buy the program i dont think your going to get the RSE feature, but it does make GP5 sound a little less like a midi file, which is cool. all in all i think GP5 is a great program unfortunetly it gets buggy sometimes and will crash, one thing i like about it is you can change your tuning.. and GP5 will transcribe the tab to whatever tuning your guitar is in. there are way to many features to list but anyways im going to download powertab then maybe i can help out alot more.

That's wierd, I have got Guitar Pro to read power tab files with no problems - you have to select the right file type, and maybe you have to use an import function (I can't remember and I am away from my computer at the moment), but I have definitely done this.

The conversion is not necessarily 100% - one thing in particular I noticed is that during import GP changed the grouping of some notes - 2 groups of 3 8th notes became 3 groups of 2 - not a disaster but there may be other more subtle problems.

The best answer would be to provide both - whoever is creating the tabs could use GP, then export to PT, and check the result in PT making any necessary adjustments - wouldn't be a huge amount of extra work but it would keep everyone happy.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Ron
Mar 21 2007, 11:31 PM
I agree with what Andrew said.

BTW, to import Power Tab files into GP5:

File > Import > PowerTab

Ron

+Quote Post
gardner
Mar 22 2007, 05:04 AM
i Use guitar pro every time i practise.. because it has a option thats called simple loop/speed practicing... so lets say i want to play
||-----------12-13-15||
||12-13-15-----------|| at 120 bpm.. then i set the speed practicing thing to start at 20% of 120 bpm.. and everytime i have played the measure once it increases 1% in speed.. secound whille i do this the program also has a great metronome. which follows the speed practicing program.. though there is sometime some bugs with the metronome. because if you jump around in your taps whille its playing.. it sometimes increases its speed to the double.. hehe so if you are counting to 4 normally and it startes doing that i have to count to 2.. i dont know why it does this

and as mentioned it has a great tuner which makes it able to tune wether tune you want.. lets say drop d down 2 steps no problem it can do it.. i vote for guitar pro

--------------------
I play so the flowers grow iiiiii

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Mar 22 2007, 05:52 AM
I like the lessons just fine now. However, if you decide to do one then I would suggest that it be Guitar Pro, even though it is not free I'm pretty sure that PowerTab doesn't have an OSX mac version, and the land of Mac users gets larger every day.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 22 2007, 09:29 AM
GMC Founder
Awesome feedback biggrin.gif loads of thanks!

So I think we will go for Andrew's suggestion.

Kris

--------------------

+Quote Post
Leijon
Mar 22 2007, 02:40 PM
Yesterday I took a closer look at Guitar Pro and I´m definately getting it! The RSE (Real Sound Engine) is a VAST improvement over earlier versions and/or PowerTab. Now, I know it is mainly "window dressing" since the core functionality between GP an PowerTab is neglectical (?) from a practicve perspective, but it was so much more fun to play along more real sounding instruments than the basic sounds of PT.

Regardless of what direction GMC takes, I´m switching to GP for the pure fun of it.

--------------------
Leijon, Sweden
Guitars:
Taylor T5 Standard S1
Amp
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Stuff:
Boss ME 80 multieffect
Zoom Player 2020 (yeah!)
sore fingers...

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Mar 23 2007, 04:26 PM
Guitar Pro is an excellent program. If I'm not here viewing video tutorials, then I am using Guitar Pro.

But it may be a good idea to offer both formats so everyone has the ability to view the files.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 23 2007, 10:11 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (Brandon2002 @ Mar 21 2007, 08:12 AM) *
GP5 cannot read power tab

If you go to file, and import, you can import a powertab, but it will only read it right if its setup right, like every bar has the right amount of notes, not one bar with 40 16th notes on it.

Anyway, ill gladly do some GP Tabs for the lessons, maybe, if you could Kris, just put up a list of the lessons here (just there names) and the tempo there played at, and from there i could make one really easily.

+Quote Post
me213
Mar 23 2007, 11:52 PM
Hi i have guitar pro and powertab dont ask why

I tend to use guitar pro 5 over power tab because I find guitar pro easier to use but powertab is still very easy.

As for writing the backing tracks and tab for others to use if you post them as midi files they can be imported on Guitar Pro 5 and PowerTab .

This may be a little late hope it helps laugh.gif

This post has been edited by me213: Mar 23 2007, 11:53 PM

--------------------
What could more fun than playing the ELECTRIC GUITAR??!!

Paul Gilbert

+Quote Post
MetalMan66
Mar 24 2007, 01:10 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 21 2007, 06:29 AM) *
Good points - I would really be interested in what everyone thinks about this, so I can tell our transcriber what to go for. smile.gif

Are the advantages of guitarpro worth paying for?

Do you guys think this was a good transcription? Sounds good to me but I can't really tell what role the strange midi guitar sounds plays in my perception of the tab...

THE ADVANTAGES OF GUITARPRO ARE WORTH PAYING FOR (its $60 u.s. dollars or so, about the price of an average video game). PowerTab is nice because it's free, but I find it difficult to use, and it sounds terrible.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 24 2007, 10:50 AM
GMC Founder
Thanks for the input! smile.gif

I am very glad to hear some of you are intereste din tabbing - the Uncreator and I are having discussions about this now.

If anybody else is interested let me know! As it looks now the first tabber which I had in my might not be able to do it...

Kris

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 24 2007, 05:00 PM
Here is a rough draft of the Vai lesson, i have to run to work now, so ill fix the rest later.
I left the first bend out cause it screwed up the time, i will find a way around it though.
Sorry its kinda "Rigid", i threw it together is 45 minutes, so after work tonight or tommorrow morning, ill update it.

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Mar 24 2007, 05:04 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Steve_Vai_Solo_Lesson__UnFin_.gp5 ( 8.54K ) Number of downloads: 126

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 25 2007, 03:06 PM
Just for the hell of it, i made this a little bit ago, its in GP, And i belive its 100% Accurate, it even moves in time with the video if you play them both at the same time biggrin.gif

Anyway, its Pavels Clean / Acoustic Lesson, one of my favorites, just because of the great licks and its simplicty.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Clean_Acoustic_Lesson.gp5 ( 2.98K ) Number of downloads: 137

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:10 AM