2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Drop C Tuning
liveOASISforever
Jan 27 2013, 01:51 PM
GMC:er
Hi everyone I really want learn BFMV song a place where you belong. The tuning is drop c. I have never done this before and am looking for advice for what string gauge to use and how to setup my guitar with this tuning. Any links to videos or general tips will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance Sean

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jouve
Jan 27 2013, 02:10 PM
Learning Roadie
When i bought my ltd it was tuned in drop c and the sting gauge was 12-56.It was optimal.
It's a good idea to check your guitar's intonation,and the bridge string action. But i'm not a pro in it so hope somebody will help you out! wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 27 2013, 02:11 PM
Instructor
Hello Sean! It is a pleasure to discuss this with you smile.gif

Please tell me what sort of a guitar are you using? I have a PRS Paul Allender which I keep downtuned to drop C, having string gauges such as 11-56, built out of custom Elixir strings - that means I bought them separately, not in a set.

What have you used so far?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jan 27 2013, 02:32 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 27 2013, 01:11 PM) *
Hello Sean! It is a pleasure to discuss this with you smile.gif

Please tell me what sort of a guitar are you using? I have a PRS Paul Allender which I keep downtuned to drop C, having string gauges such as 11-56, built out of custom Elixir strings - that means I bought them separately, not in a set.

What have you used so far?

Cosmin

Hi Cosmin

The guitar I am using is called a Chapman ml2, not a very well known guitar make its a fairly new brand. Can easily be seen on YouTube. The string gauge is 9-42s.

I would love to be able to take it to a guitar shop to get it set up but there is none where I stay. So I am going to have to try and set it up myself

Thanks Sean

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 27 2013, 03:02 PM
Instructor
Hey Sean - I have never set up the neck for heavier string gauge, as this sort of thing is taken care of by a technician with which I am working.

I think you can start here smile.gif

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jan 27 2013, 03:15 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 27 2013, 02:02 PM) *
Hey Sean - I have never set up the neck for heavier string gauge, as this sort of thing is taken care of by a technician with which I am working.

I think you can start here smile.gif

Thanks Cosmin

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jan 27 2013, 03:58 PM
Learning Roadie
Try the Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom 10-52. I am tuned to Drop C also on my Ibanez RG. I was using the 9-46 gauge and it was fine, just a little floppy. So I am moving up since I decided to stick with Drop C for now.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 27 2013, 05:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jan 27 2013, 02:15 PM) *
Thanks Cosmin

My pleasure mate, let me know how it's going ok? And of course, if you got other stuff on your mind regarding dropped tuning, let me know as well wink.gif

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jan 27 2013, 05:41 PM
QUOTE (thefireball @ Jan 27 2013, 02:58 PM) *
Try the Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom 10-52. I am tuned to Drop C also on my Ibanez RG. I was using the 9-46 gauge and it was fine, just a little floppy. So I am moving up since I decided to stick with Drop C for now.

Hi

Am going order a set and try them out.

Thanks Sean

+Quote Post
osiris
Jan 27 2013, 07:43 PM
QUOTE (thefireball @ Jan 27 2013, 03:58 PM) *

I love those! But i use them for standard E and drop D unsure.gif. I pick pretty hard, I like a thick low E for tight gallops or pedal riffs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
Jan 27 2013, 10:11 PM
I have 10-60 on mine, a hybrid set of sorts. I felt the higher strings were a bit too loose for me and the 60 was a bit much, so I've got a pack of 11-56 coming my way that I'm going to try. I think it's going to be perfect.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 28 2013, 09:06 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ConnorGilks @ Jan 27 2013, 09:11 PM) *
I have 10-60 on mine, a hybrid set of sorts. I felt the higher strings were a bit too loose for me and the 60 was a bit much, so I've got a pack of 11-56 coming my way that I'm going to try. I think it's going to be perfect.

What tuning do you use with these strings?

+Quote Post
Ninjastorm
Jan 28 2013, 12:32 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I got my first DropC guitar (Ibanez GRGA42T-BKN) last week. I'm using "Dunlop Heavy Core Heavier" with gauges 011 - 014 - 018 - 028 - 038 - 050. Heavy Core means that they have a thicker core. The low C string is a bit floppy but the sound is tight. But there are also other gauges available from the "Dunlop Heavy Core" - series.

This post has been edited by Ninjastorm: Jan 28 2013, 12:34 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 29 2013, 08:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ninjastorm @ Jan 28 2013, 11:32 AM) *
I got my first DropC guitar (Ibanez GRGA42T-BKN) last week. I'm using "Dunlop Heavy Core Heavier" with gauges 011 - 014 - 018 - 028 - 038 - 050. Heavy Core means that they have a thicker core. The low C string is a bit floppy but the sound is tight. But there are also other gauges available from the "Dunlop Heavy Core" - series.

indeed 050. is a bit loose for drop C - I'd try 052. 054. or 056. I build a custom set, so I can have them as I want them biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ninjastorm
Jan 29 2013, 12:25 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 29 2013, 08:59 AM) *
indeed 050. is a bit loose for drop C - I'd try 052. 054. or 056. I build a custom set, so I can have them as I want them biggrin.gif

Thats my problem. unsure.gif
Due to the thicker core the low C String is not as floopy as normal strings with gauges 50.
So the Strings 011 - 014 - 018 - 028 - 038 sounds an feel perfect for me.
Do you think i shall try to take the low C-String from the "Dunlop Heavy Core Heaviest" set with gauges 012 - 016 - 020 - 032 - 042 - 054.
The result would be a custom set with Dunlop Heavy Core Strings: 011 - 014 - 018 - 028 - 038 - 054.
Or is the gap from 038 to 054 too big?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 29 2013, 02:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ninjastorm @ Jan 29 2013, 08:25 AM) *
Due to the thicker core the low C String is not as floopy as normal strings with gauges 50.
Do you think i shall try to take the low C-String from the "Dunlop Heavy Core Heaviest" set with gauges 012 - 016 - 020 - 032 - 042 - 054.
The result would be a custom set with Dunlop Heavy Core Strings: 011 - 014 - 018 - 028 - 038 - 054.

Hi guys!! This is a very interesting thread! I have no experience with thicker strings but I know that low tuned players use this type of hybrid gauges to have a good balance for solo and riffing.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 29 2013, 02:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ninjastorm @ Jan 29 2013, 11:25 AM) *

Hmmm, looks like it is a bit too big - so far, I am finding the 12-52 set from Elixir as being way to rigid for soloing even in drop C or D standard... i think that an 11-56 set would be the winner or even an 11-54 smile.gif

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
Jan 29 2013, 11:58 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 28 2013, 08:06 AM) *
What tuning do you use with these strings?

Drop C with this set. Standard I go lighter, and my 7 string is a weird hybrid set.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 30 2013, 08:19 AM
Instructor
Never tried 060. in drop C - maybe due to the fact that I have only used Elixir strings and they don't have such a gauge. I should try some other brands making coated strings though, who knows, maybe I'll fall in love?

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
Jan 31 2013, 12:47 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 30 2013, 07:19 AM) *
Never tried 060. in drop C - maybe due to the fact that I have only used Elixir strings and they don't have such a gauge. I should try some other brands making coated strings though, who knows, maybe I'll fall in love?

I found 60 to be a bit much, especially because I couldn't get the action low enough to my liking without cutting the sustain a lot. The rest of the set was pretty much perfect regarding tension, thickness and action. I'll let you know how the 11-56 set goes. May be worth you switching brands if you can just buy a set instead of the hybrid you mentioned earlier. Dunno if it'll save you money though.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:37 AM