The Decision Of A Life Time
Rated Htr
Jul 4 2010, 09:13 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Ok guys, been some months since i've been here...Pretty busy, but let's see if i can come back a bit again. So I've been fighting a battle with myself about what to get with the money and investment I'm making. I've gotten into Drums, have a band on it's way ( Check us out on http://myspace.com/evania, with crappy demos laugh.gif ) and have a provisional driver's license in the UK that can grant me my driver's license. I currently have enough guitars to satisfy my gas, actually getting rid of a few on ebay ( an Ibanez RG Prestige Custom, Washburn, yada yada ). Recently sold my Pod X3 Live and am currently unable to record stuff from my home. The ideas are:

• I can get a drum kit to improve my drumming and, can even use it with some mics ( or electronic kit ) for recording real drum sounds
  • I can apply for a driving school and get my license but I will only get a car in a few months time if I do that
  • Save up for a Fractal Axe-FX Ultra
  • Get a small interface like a Presonus FireStudio to do some recording to improve the demos on myspace, which are in need of some quality mixing

I would like some opinions on what I should give priority too. I will have gigs in the following months but I live in london, so I have the underground. I can access my school to do some recording, but there are limits of time and gear. I can drum in my school but I would rather learn stuff at home.

Cheers Guys

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Jul 5 2010, 08:40 AM
Instructor
what do you like most now, guitar or drums smile.gif?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jul 5 2010, 10:07 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hmmm, there some tough decision to do here.............

First, in Your place I would have go for the drivers license and if possible get stuff to record yourself, there is cheap interfaces that does a great job....

Second, I think You must decide which instrument to priority - eg. there are a lot of drummers & guitar players that are "good", but not excellent. I rather be an extremely good drummer/guitarist than both a good drummer & and a good guitar player..... but the knowledge of other instruments i extremely good which one You prefer, so I would put my main effort in the one that is most fun to play. And I would never go for electric drums... You will get tired of them in just a couple of months, I promise You... wink.gif

In my opinion Fractal is just an awesome piece of gear - but too expensive if You cant raise the funds to do other things than that. There are plenty of other good emulators/amps that will be nearly as good, or decent at least.. This piece is really some luxury that most people can do without in my opinion. (oki, oki, I have some 10-12 guitars, 4 amps, loads of other gear - but I could really manage with just one guitar and one amp when the push comes to shove... its not the gear itself, its the way You use it. smile.gif )

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Jul 5 2010, 12:51 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Guitar > Drums, any day, any time tongue.gif. The problem with not getting an electric drum kit is because of the neighbors and space. If I want, I can rent a drum room in my school and play real drums. I had way to record myself, with the pod x3 live, but I sold it since I was getting a bit frustrated with some things and wanted to advance more.

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 5 2010, 01:25 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
If you have the budget for the Axe-Fx, which is at least $2000+, I would spend it on multiple things that would improve the overall sound of drums and guitars. Not everything good has to be expensive, Look around and you can find some hidden jewels out there, especially for recording.

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Jul 5 2010, 01:42 PM
Experienced Rock Star
The problem is I don't, but I can get it by November, that's why I said save for smile.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 5 2010, 07:06 PM
Instructor
Hmm, I would apply for drivers license, you will need car for countless things (not to mention drums and gear eventually??).

I'm not sure what are your priorities, but it's all about what you will use the most, and what cannot be replaceable. For example I agree with Staffay on the AxeFX. Although it is great, there are many emulators that can do a decent job. Same goes for drums, you can get nice compact electronic kit for practicing, and see if you need real drums later. It will be easier to create demos with electronic kit at home that's for sure, you don't need mics and multichannel interface.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:47 PM