Experience Of A Friend Of Mine
Mertay
Aug 6 2016, 08:47 PM
GMC:er
I have a friend who has a lot of gear but doesn't have much time to play with them cause of work. I sometimes give tips to him and lately I've insisted him to work on his timing but he didn't as it too boring smile.gif

So he goes to a bands house (he is friends with a big local shops sales guy, that guy has a band and they rented a house to live and practice) and all of them started jamming. The sales guy tells my friend to keep the rhythm as he wants to solo for a while.

My friend says after a short while he noticed everybody stopped playing and started to stare at him! a bit freaked, my friend asks whats going on and they say he couldn't keep a steady beat even for a little while!

After this incident he called me to ask advice, I said either start playing acoustic guitar to pop tracks (Em, Am etc. type chord stuff) or go outside and open a metronome and walk in the same beat as long as he could smile.gif

Keep in mind this guy can jam in a beginner level and no one would suspect in that sense he can't hold a beat, this is also a reason he won't musically evolve even if he's just soloing if he can't take care of that issue.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Aug 6 2016, 08:49 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 6 2016, 09:24 PM
Learning Rock Star
A good story that tells why it's important to practice timing smile.gif

I have found myself struggling to play simpler things sometimes, when I jam with people. I can throw a solo at them, but then when they say: "Let's play "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?"" I will struggle at first, cause I've usually never heard the song. biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 8 2016, 11:15 PM
GMC:er
Some practice with a simple metronome can work wonders for a sense of "time". So many folks skip this and end up really struggling with just keeping basic time in their heads. sad.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Aug 6 2016, 03:47 PM) *
I have a friend who has a lot of gear but doesn't have much time to play with them cause of work. I sometimes give tips to him and lately I've insisted him to work on his timing but he didn't as it too boring smile.gif

So he goes to a bands house (he is friends with a big local shops sales guy, that guy has a band and they rented a house to live and practice) and all of them started jamming. The sales guy tells my friend to keep the rhythm as he wants to solo for a while.

My friend says after a short while he noticed everybody stopped playing and started to stare at him! a bit freaked, my friend asks whats going on and they say he couldn't keep a steady beat even for a little while!

After this incident he called me to ask advice, I said either start playing acoustic guitar to pop tracks (Em, Am etc. type chord stuff) or go outside and open a metronome and walk in the same beat as long as he could smile.gif

Keep in mind this guy can jam in a beginner level and no one would suspect in that sense he can't hold a beat, this is also a reason he won't musically evolve even if he's just soloing if he can't take care of that issue.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:04 PM