2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Rap, your opinion on it
FretDancer69
Sep 15 2007, 12:19 PM
GMC:er
i hate rap, i cant stand it, im sure there are always good songs out there, but im not interested in searching for them. I hate rap!! rap like Eminem, 50 Cent, The game, D12, and all those stuff!!! mad.gif mad.gif

i dislike every type of "music" that does not involve a good playing from an instrument and that only contains monotonous "beats". mad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by FretDancer69: Sep 15 2007, 12:25 PM

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PacmanProduction...
Sep 15 2007, 12:23 PM
i do like some rap, but music is like candy.... gotta throw away the "rappers"... tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
You don't play the guitar, You play the music....

My Stuff:
Greg Bennett Avion
Peavey Rage 158
Zoom G1X Multi-effect Foot Pedal

My Wishlist!!!!
Ibanez JEM (any)
Herman Li's Sound Enhancement Pedal
a new acoustic
XBOX 360 Elite BABY!

My Myspace: www.myspace.com/pacman12494

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Sep 15 2007, 09:03 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
^
laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Understudy
Sep 15 2007, 10:52 PM
There are very few rap artists I actually like. For the most part it is a genre of music I always found it hard to get into. Not to discredit it in any way, it just isn't for me.

--------------------
Guitars Carvin DC-127 Ibanez RG-470
Accoustic Guitar Ovation Celebrity
Amp Marshall VS65R
Recording Gear Tascam Ministudio Porta 02 (Analog 4 track)
Boss DR-220 Dr. Rhythm Digital Drum Machine
Tuner Boss TU-12
Effects pedals Dunlop 535Q CryBaby, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Boss
CS-3 Compression Sustainer, Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Boss DD-5 Digital Delay

+Quote Post
strat_daniel
Sep 16 2007, 01:45 AM
I'm not the biggest fan of "rap", but I like some hip hop, usually when it has a bit more rNb and funk thrown in. The roots are a pretty good example. They actually play instruments! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Robin
Sep 16 2007, 01:47 AM
QUOTE (strat_daniel @ Sep 16 2007, 12:45 AM) *
I'm not the biggest fan of "rap", but I like some hip hop, usually when it has a bit more rNb and funk thrown in. The roots are a pretty good example. They actually play instruments! ohmy.gif

Yeah, I agree! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Matt
Sep 16 2007, 05:08 PM
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Sep 15 2007, 01:28 PM) *
For those about to rock,I salute you cool.gif

couldnt agree more. mate, i salute YOU lol

--------------------
"Keep Bleeding On 'Til The Day You Die, Forever Love it Loud" - Black Label Society

+Quote Post
strat_daniel
Sep 17 2007, 09:30 AM
QUOTE (Robin @ Sep 15 2007, 07:47 PM) *
Yeah, I agree! smile.gif

Sweet! biggrin.gif Here's a pretty good example of their work for anyone who hasn't heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFb9UqELX8w

+Quote Post
PacmanProduction...
Sep 17 2007, 09:33 AM
QUOTE (strat_daniel @ Sep 17 2007, 03:30 AM) *
Sweet! biggrin.gif Here's a pretty good example of their work for anyone who hasn't heard:

cool... that is good...

--------------------

My Stuff:
Greg Bennett Avion
Peavey Rage 158

My Wishlist!!!!
Ibanez JEM (any)
a new acoustic
XBOX 360 Elite BABY!

+Quote Post
swingline
Sep 17 2007, 09:36 AM
Beastie Boys and Run Dmc are cool but forget the rest. You can't spell crap without rap.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Robin
Sep 17 2007, 09:36 AM
QUOTE (strat_daniel @ Sep 17 2007, 08:30 AM) *

Yeah, thats pretty cool, its definatly music! biggrin.gif

Not my favorite genre at all, but its still kinda cool.

I really like stuff like Robert Randolph & the Family band though. No, wait. I LOOOOVE Robert Randolph & the Family band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSldvVbVM3Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lissdIckly4

Thats a couple of nice tunes from Robert Randolph. They arent exactly rap, but many of their songs are kinda RnB/Hip Hopish.

QUOTE (swingline @ Sep 17 2007, 08:36 AM) *
Beastie Boys and Run Dmc are cool but forget the rest. You can't spell crap without rap.

Those two bands rocks smile.gif

+Quote Post
JVM
Sep 17 2007, 09:45 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Sep 14 2007, 11:19 PM) *
i hate rap, i cant stand it, im sure there are always good songs out there, but im not interested in searching for them. I hate rap!! rap like Eminem, 50 Cent, The game, D12, and all those stuff!!! mad.gif mad.gif

i dislike every type of "music" that does not involve a good playing from an instrument and that only contains monotonous "beats". mad.gif

The human voice isn't an instrument?

You'll find the real instruments on stuff like 2pac, he even had guitars in his music tongue.gif

I agree with people who're saying that the really good stuff is hip hop and stuff that has a soul/r&b/maybe funk kind of vibe to it. I still like people like Jay-z, Wu Tang, Snoop and Eminem, but I also like Run DMC, Public Enemy, etc. If you don't want to go out and find it I think thats a little bit closed minded of you, but it's your loss.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
strat_daniel
Sep 17 2007, 09:46 AM
Yeah, I am more into metal/alt rock,but I like different styles depending on the song itself.Oh yeah, Robert Randolph is awesome, btw!

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Sep 18 2007, 02:36 AM
QUOTE (JVM @ Sep 17 2007, 02:45 AM) *
The human voice isn't an instrument?

You'll find the real instruments on stuff like 2pac, he even had guitars in his music tongue.gif

I agree with people who're saying that the really good stuff is hip hop and stuff that has a soul/r&b/maybe funk kind of vibe to it. I still like people like Jay-z, Wu Tang, Snoop and Eminem, but I also like Run DMC, Public Enemy, etc. If you don't want to go out and find it I think thats a little bit closed minded of you, but it's your loss.

yeah, i know it is, but we have singing lessons for a reason right? I mean, the voice has to be trained so it can become better, but do YOU honestly think that the people i mentioned do that? What do they "sing" in their "songs"? Drugs, Clubs, Dope, Women, Getting Laid, and what not...see thats what i mean... dry.gif

for me, if the rap song has a good instrument playing, or some good vocals that you can Appreciate, then its a good work.

This post has been edited by FretDancer69: Sep 18 2007, 02:39 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
rokchik
Sep 18 2007, 06:46 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Sep 17 2007, 10:36 PM) *
yeah, i know it is, but we have singing lessons for a reason right? I mean, the voice has to be trained so it can become better, but do YOU honestly think that the people i mentioned do that? What do they "sing" in their "songs"? Drugs, Clubs, Dope, Women, Getting Laid, and what not...see thats what i mean... dry.gif

for me, if the rap song has a good instrument playing, or some good vocals that you can Appreciate, then its a good work.

Ok I'm gonna give my 2 cents again...

I agree about the content issue to a point. When you start talking about the "club rap" with catchy sampled beats talking about crunk juice, women and trying to get you to do some ridiculous dance...soulja boy anyone...I agree whole heartedly (even though I have been known to enjoy this music at the club...but no stupid dances) For me there is a time and place for this stuff and it's at a dance club not on radio. But for a lot of artists they rap about what they know, about their life experience and unfortunetly for a lot of them that was gang banging and dope dealing. Guys like Tupac, Dre, Public Enemy, Mos Def, and Common for example have very socially conscience lyrics that don't glorify what is happening but tells you "hey this stuff is going on". This kind of hip hop tells a story imo...more often than not it's anything but a happy one. And with the lyrics, if you actually take the time to listen (and not to the mainstream stuff we discussed first) you'll see that they can be very poetic and inspiring. You just have to look for it. As I said in a previous thread there is crap in every genre of music....but are you going to label it all as bad just because you don't like a few artists? I mean I don't like every rock band out there but I love rock music, I'm not big into the growling metal but I like metal. I don't even like every rapper/hip hop artist but I like hip hop. To me it's a bit hipocritical to blast an entire genre of music based on a few acts. If this is the case you'd have to say you hate music because no one likes every band or artist in a particular genre. That may sound a bit harsh, however I hope you see the point I was trying to make.

And also rapping is not singing...it's rapping. Spoken verse over a beat. Just beacuse they can't hold a note like Pavarotti doesn't mean they are not talented. They still have to breathe like a singer, warm up like a singer they just aren't "singing" in the traditional sense. It is a talent even if you don't like or respect it.

Edit: here are a couple of examples of great lyrical, conscience songs. Warning for language. I used Tupak as the example because most just view him as a thug when he really wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUoUDuAPCZA...ted&search=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfXwmDGJAB8...ted&search=

This post has been edited by rokchik: Sep 18 2007, 07:03 AM

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 18 2007, 08:09 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
+1 Rokchik.

I'd also nominate Consolidated for good lyrics that aren't the 'gangsta, guns, women' line.

It's also worth remembering that a fair bit of rock has some dumb lyrics as well. Without naming them there are a fair few rock groups that are guilty of sexist, homophobic, drug promoting drivel mascarading as lyrics. Good rap tends to tell a story, often one that is closer to modern day life that some people experience then what you will find in the lyrics of a lot of other musical forms. So as Rokchik says don't lump all rap in to the 'duh gangsta rapper with uzi lyrics' as it isn't.

As to the various comments that rap is studio produced. There is real skill in being able to put the samples and stuff together. In rap the production team gets a lot of attention - and rightly so. Maybe it's worth considering that being able to drive the desk, use a sampler well, program the software etc requires musical knowledge and skill as does playing a traditional instrument.

With regard to poetry and/in music a very good emotive piece, imo, is Lynton Kwesi Johnson's Sonny's Lettah. OK this is reggae but the roots of rap are in reggae. Sonny's Lettah is based on a true story btw.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
PacmanProduction...
Sep 18 2007, 08:11 AM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Sep 17 2007, 08:36 PM) *
Drugs, Clubs, Dope, Women, Getting Laid, and what not

Dont forget $$MONEY$$..... tongue.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:
Greg Bennett Avion
Peavey Rage 158

My Wishlist!!!!
Ibanez JEM (any)
a new acoustic
XBOX 360 Elite BABY!

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Sep 18 2007, 11:35 AM
QUOTE (PacmanProductions @ Sep 18 2007, 01:11 AM) *
Dont forget $$MONEY$$..... tongue.gif

laugh.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
rokchik
Sep 18 2007, 11:41 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 18 2007, 04:09 AM) *
+1 Rokchik.

I'd also nominate Consolidated for good lyrics that aren't the 'gangsta, guns, women' line.

It's also worth remembering that a fair bit of rock has some dumb lyrics as well. Without naming them there are a fair few rock groups that are guilty of sexist, homophobic, drug promoting drivel mascarading as lyrics. Good rap tends to tell a story, often one that is closer to modern day life that some people experience then what you will find in the lyrics of a lot of other musical forms. So as Rokchik says don't lump all rap in to the 'duh gangsta rapper with uzi lyrics' as it isn't.

As to the various comments that rap is studio produced. There is real skill in being able to put the samples and stuff together. In rap the production team gets a lot of attention - and rightly so. Maybe it's worth considering that being able to drive the desk, use a sampler well, program the software etc requires musical knowledge and skill as does playing a traditional instrument.

With regard to poetry and/in music a very good emotive piece, imo, is Lynton Kwesi Johnson's Sonny's Lettah. OK this is reggae but the roots of rap are in reggae. Sonny's Lettah is based on a true story btw.
Cheers,
Tony

Thanks Tony smile.gif
And yes Consolidated is great too. I also enjoyed your link. Good stuff. Reggae is another form of music that dosen't get the respect it deserves. I just have to say two words with regards to reggae....BOB MARLEY! end of discussion biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:21 PM