Picking From The Elbow And How To Fix It
Todd Simpson
Jan 27 2022, 08:08 PM
GMC:er
I have seen many great players who pick from the elbow. Marty Friedman comes to mind among many others. These folks stiffen the arm in order to get better pick speed. It's a way to create more pick speed by increasing the tension in the arm. to be sure, it works. For some folks it's the only way they can play fast. So it's not to say this technique is Evil and should be avoided at all costs.

Just to say, that if possible, it's something that could be improved upon. Playing with less tension allows for longer play without fatique. Playing from the wrist instead of the elbow, allows for greater control and picking dynamics. I recently saw a very good vid from BERNTH where he talks about this and gives some drill work to help fix it. It's #2 in his WORST Guitar Techniques Mistakes videos.

It starts at this point
https://youtu.be/oDvut9G_3Yw?t=204

Here is the full video. These are common technique issues that I see quite a bit.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 29 2022, 06:39 PM
Learning Rock Star
I was an elbow picker for some years in the beginning. I felt there was no other way to play that fast for me, and it took quite some years to reverse that habit. For a very long time I almost felt like I had made a bad decision trying to pick from the wrist, as I could get nowhere near the speed I was at before the change to picking from wrist instead of elbow. Very happy with it now though. One of my next personal goals is just a slight correction on thumb placement, which Bernth talks about too. I do tend to twist my left hand wrist a bit on the fretboard, and it's something I've been meaning to experiment with a bit.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:43 PM