The Gmc Guide To Free High Quality Tone
The Uncreator
Apr 15 2012, 06:35 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
So we all want that Mesa Triple, Engl, 6505, Diezel, 5150, AxeFx, or whatever. We also would all want it for free - BUT - we unfortunately live in reality and this is not an option. For those of us who lack the often thousands of dollars to purchase high end equipment, there are solutions such as Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5, Overloud TH2, IK Multimedia's Amplitube 3,, or Peavey's Revalver that can all be bought for a couple hundred dollars.

These products essentially emulate many of the high end equipment we love and know, and with recent releases, often times do it remarkably well. They also offer different mic positions, cabinets, stompboxes, and other processing alongside its guitar amp emulation. I will personally testify that these products are worth your money, especially Guitar Rig which produces brilliant lead and solo tones, and exceptional cleans.

Now, there is still yet another option. And this is the best part, everything mentioned from here on out is free. Do not make the mistake and assume that this freeware cannot stand on its own against the might of NI products or Peavey's legendary tone, these not only hold their ground, they often times exceed them.

With a guitar amp, there are many deciding factors such as room, mic placement, mic type, dual mic'ing etc. This is not only expensive, but most of us do not live in studio conditions. These freeware programs ( and the aforementioned ones) emulate the room, the mic type and position, and many other nuances home studio artists might struggle to achieve. These programs are simple VST's that can be opened in your signal chain inside your DAW. Now, lets begin! smile.gif

The Amp

LePou Lecto

LeCto is a guitar amp simulator inspired by an american modern high gain head. This simulator has 2 channels with 3 modes on each channel. It can go from crunch (raw mode) to modern high gain (modern mode).

Features :

-oversampling : determines the signal oversampling; up to 8x
-mono/stereo : determines the signal routing
-input : controls the magnitude of the input signal
-drive : controls the amount of gain
-low : controls the low frequency
-mid : controls the mid frequency
-high : controls the high frequency
-presence : presence control
-resonance* : controls the amount of resonance resulting from the interaction with the speaker cabinet
*Only active on modern mode

LePou Legion

LeGion is a high gain preamp simulator. This is an original design, it's not based on any hardware gear. My goal here was to build a high gain sim that doesn't need any booster in front in order to be tight.

Features:
- 2 channels, actually two completely different preamp circuit
- 2 modes on each channel, rhythm and lead
- 2 tonestacks assignable to any of the 2 channels
- the usual drive and tone controls

Thanks again to requietus for his great job on the GUI.
Thanks also to the testers : Alu, daxliniere, cococo, shogger, Dimi, onqel and HOTRIFF.

New version 1.01:
- more output volume
- less volume variations with coutour changes

LePou LE456

It's a preamp sim roughly based on a famous German gear. It has 2 channels and 2 modes per channel. Each channels/modes share the same features. Apart from the usual tone controls (drive, low, mid, high and contour), each channels/modes offer two different tone stacks that can be accessed via the focus switches. Bottom and bright switches can be used to boost the low and the high frequencies respectively. On the low gain channel only (Clean/Crunch), the effectiveness of the bright switch decreases with the gain settings.

Nick Crow 8505

Controls:
POWER - Power ON/OFF.
HQ - Oversampling ON / OFF. Use OFF to reduce CPU usage, use ON to get the quality sound without aliases (more CPU). When a project or the track is exported to a wave file (mixdown, bounce, render, freeze) oversampling is always automatically enabled regardless of the position of the button.
GAIN - Determines the amount of gain applied by the Pre Amp.
LOW, MID, SWEEP, HIGH - Tone Stack controls.
POWER AMP - Determines the amount of gain applied by the Power Amp.
VOLUME - Output level.

TSE (The Serina Experiment) Products

There are many more but these are some of the widely used and highly acclaimed products. The amp will be first in your signal chain, but an amp by itself is nothing right? You need the cabinets, and this is where things get interesting.

The Cabinets

Now the cab emulation is where the variety comes into place. What do I mean by variety? Well I mean almost 700 plus samples of mic'ed cabinets. These however, are in the form of something called an impulse response, which in short and without getting technical about it, is a small .wav file that emulates a certain condition such as mic distances, type, room etc.

To use these you need something to load the impulse, which is know commonly as the "cab sim".

LePou LeCab2

KeFir V3

These are two amongst many, although the best and easiest to use. LeCab 2 is without a doubt my personal favorite as it allows blending of up to six IR's to create massive, unique tones. These will be second in your signal chain, just like in an actual amp setup would go, head first then Cab.

With these two entities you can easily start to develop and experiment with tone, and I do mean experiment. This where the big difference between the paid software and the freeware comes in. Guitar Rig does not want you to spend hours developing a tone, they have many presets and its designed for easy use. These freeware programs do require time, but they pay off in much more colored ways in reference to your tone. They allow for a more personal touch that can give you a great sound.

Next we need those impulses to load, and right off the bat I will give you more than 700 in one free easy download.

The Impulse Response

God's Cab Impulse Responses

GuitarHack Impulses

Once you download these, inside your DAW when you have LeCab2 for example, you will be prompted to select a directory for the IR's. Simply select the location these were downloaded and extracted to and scroll through the list. Each file is a different mic, at a different distance, on a different cab. So there is a lot of experimentation to be done!

But we are guitarist here, and we love gear right? Of course, so here are yet some MORE free VST's that can be utilized to produce more varieties of tone!

The Accessories

Ignite Amps

Placing this before your AmpSim in your signal chain can produce clarity and allow you to add subtle touches to it. Discovered this recently and love it absolutely!

A tubescreamer, plain and simple. Placing this before your AmpSim will give that legendary flavor of TS drive and power

Same as the NRR-1 although I have actually added this after my AmpSim to produce a massive boost in power. If you do this, be sure to use it on the clean channel so your drive/ gain channels from previous plug-ins do not collide. Otherwise, putting this before your AmpSim will add to the tonal customization options you have.

TSE 808

A powerful, yet subtle tube screamer VST that is aimed to emulate infamous Ibanez TS9.

Now all this might be a bit overwhelming at first, so I will show you some basic signal chain setups you can use, including my own.

The Signal Chain

TSE 808 > Poulin Legion > LeCab 2 (loaded with IR of choice)

NRR-1 > Nick Crow 8505 > Kefir V3 (loaded with IR of choice)

The Anvil > LE456 > LeCab 2

These are basic setups, which should provide the basis for the experimentation and show you how you could go about achieving a quick tone. However things can get more complicated once you understand the application and purpose of the plug-ins. Here is my own, that I am currently using.

Attached Image
First I have the NRR-1, and using the rhythm channel I leave the volume and gain alone as they were. Boosting the bass all the way to produce punch ( I will highpass out excess later), placing the mids around 75% and the highs around 55 - 60% to brighten the tone. The "Bright" and "Boost" knobs are both active to add a little flavor of, well, brightness and boost.

Attached Image
Next is Poulin Legion, the drive and low knobs are left alone as the combination from the NRR-1 will produce enough distortion for me. I am a fan of a lower gain clarity. The mids have a miniscule boost, I find boosting the mids in the NRR-1 sounds better. The highs are boosted more in Legion as I prefer them to be boosted in the amp itself, to create more presence. The contour and presence knobs sit at about teh same setting to open up the tone. Volume dialed back just a bit, as the the tone has a lot of power at this point.

Attached Image
Next is The Anvil. I left this on the clean channel and dialed back on treble and volume. I trimmed off enough treble to the point where If I deactivated The Anvil in my chain, the high end remained almost completely unchanged as if it were on or off. The mids are boosted slightly again, and the rest is left alone.

Attached Image

Here I have blended four different IR's to create the tone. Three different mics were used. First, the U87 and NTS were chose because of there low end, and dark definition. They had little high presence, almost none at all, but had lots of low frequency clarity. The next two, both samples of the C414, were the opposite of the U87 and NTS. Lots of high frequency clarity, but little low end at all. Combining these four samples gave a me a dynamic tone, with clarity across the low, mid, and high end of my playing.

Now, after this is some minor EQ with a lowpass at 145hz, small boost around 3.5khz (.75 boost), and a lowpass at 16.5khz. Although the EQ at this point is just for personal preference.

So now you have the tools, so get out and experiment. It takes time but it is well worth it! Here is a song of mine done using the aforementioned software (although the settings here are older) Nevertheless, this is an example of what can be done with no money

http://soundcloud.com/lascailles-shroud/evolved-transcendental-cyber

Any questions at all, I will be glad to try and answer!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 18 2012, 10:10 AM
Instructor
Oh man, I think I am missing out on things biggrin.gif all these look very interesting, although I like my tube and analogue gadgetry a lot better than anything digital tongue.gif for now wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- The Uncreator   The Gmc Guide To Free High Quality Tone   Apr 15 2012, 06:35 AM
- - Ben Higgins   Awesome thread, Brett ! I'm a little confu...   Apr 15 2012, 11:20 AM
|- - SpaseMoonkey   QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Apr 15 2012, 06:20 A...   Apr 15 2012, 12:44 PM
nnn
- - Fran   Wow. Excellent thread, I'll make sure to add t...   Apr 15 2012, 12:40 PM
- - FrontlineGuitar   Might be worth mentioning that for recording this ...   Apr 15 2012, 01:40 PM
- - The Uncreator   Here is an example of my signal chain in Reaper, y...   Apr 15 2012, 03:00 PM
- - Ben Higgins   Cool, thanks for clearing that up guys.. not havin...   Apr 15 2012, 03:31 PM
- - The Uncreator   Interested to see what instructors can come up wit...   Apr 16 2012, 03:31 AM
|- - Todd Simpson   Congrats! KILLER POST! For any MACINTOSH ...   Apr 18 2012, 07:17 AM
nnn
|- - derper   I didn't know that about you Coz!! I...   May 1 2012, 12:02 AM
|- - Cosmin Lupu   I think I'll stick to my analogue devices man ...   May 1 2012, 08:48 AM
nnn
nnn
- - Todd Simpson   A spiff video to help illustrate some of the FREE ...   Apr 30 2012, 09:58 PM
|- - Todd Simpson   DERPER AND COS have some good points on this, when...   May 1 2012, 12:29 AM
nnn
- - The Uncreator   Well the very end of the OP, those pictures repres...   May 1 2012, 03:18 AM
|- - Todd Simpson   QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Apr 30 2012, 10:18...   May 1 2012, 03:31 AM
nnn
- - thefireball   I wish my computer had a faster processor.... 2.1 ...   May 1 2012, 09:02 AM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:01 AM