The Soulful Ballad Collab, Instructors/Students Video Collaboration
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 9 2014, 10:37 AM
Instructor
Hey guys! Time to explore our sensitive side with a Soulful Ballad Collab! As you may have guessed, we are aiming for sweet melodies which should flow over the different parts you will choose to solo over. The backing is friendly and it will most likely inspire you to come up with tasty lines, so let's take a look over the collab details and then get to work!

Working and participating in collabs will give you the type of input you cannot achieve when practicing on your own - so even if you feel shy about this, you should give it a serious try. You will improve in unpredictable ways for certain!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BACKING TRACKS:

Intro:Attached File  The_Soulful_Ballad_Collab_Backing___Intro.mp3 ( 737.12K ) Number of downloads: 359

Verse: Attached File  The_Soulful_Ballad_Collab_Backing___Verse.mp3 ( 1.24MB ) Number of downloads: 302

Chorus: Attached File  The_Soulful_Ballad_Collab_Backing___Chorus.mp3 ( 1.83MB ) Number of downloads: 258

Verse+Chorus: Attached File  The_Soulful_Ballad_Collab_Backing___Verse___Chorus.mp3 ( 2.84MB ) Number of downloads: 344

This collab is based on Jonathan Burgos' 'The Tasty Etude' lesson, which you can find here as a reference: The Tasty Etude

Tempo: 70 BPM

Key: C major

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's everything you need to know about how to enter this collaboration:

1. Download the backing track and open it in your recording software
2. Record your part in the recording software and with your video cam (if you have the possibility to record video).
You can record anything - a short fill part, rhythm based ideas, or a full lead part (solo).
3. Render one track containing your recording only - 16 bit wave file 44,1 kHz
4. Render one track containing both solo and backing track in an .mp3 format
5. Send us your video (preferably in .mp4 format)

As always, you can send us the last 3 files mentioned, using a dropbox link, or any other transfer service you are used to, by posting them in this thread or attaching them to a private message.

If you can't submit a video, you can send us only the audio files and some pictures of you - it will work out great as well!
The more pictures you send, the better will it be for editing in the final video!

When attaching/sending the collab files, please include the source file of the video as well.

Very important: IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU ARE A BEGINNER/ ADVANCED/ PRO/ GOD - all styles, approaches and all levels are welcome and you can even play just a short fill if you feel like it!

Bringing your contribution to this track and tribute to the GMC community is what really matters!

Collab tips:

As in the previous collabs, we want this one to stand out as much as possible, because this will give your playing and progress maximum exposure. So here's what we suggest:

Making short but polished and detailed lines will always give you better results! If you focus on a short part of the backing track, then you will most likely amaze yourself and others! No explicit need to play over the full backing track length, so just pick up any amount of bars you feel most comfortable playing over, as it's always better to come up with something short but catchy or memorable!

Check out these lessons for inspiration:

The Tasty Etude 2 - a lot of phrasing inspiration and articulation elements which will be invaluable in this context

The Voice of Your Guitar 1 - based on articulation control, this one will show you how to gain absolute control over your bends and vibrato

The Voice of Your Guitar 2

Scales you could use:

C major (Ionian)

Chord progressions:

Intro : C –F –C –F –G

Verse : C –G –Am - G – F (x2)

Chorus : Dm – Em - F - G - Am – G - F - Am –G –Am/F# - F

Advanced tips:

If you guys want to dive a bit deeper into the possibilities offered by the chord progressions, you could try the D Dorian mode over the Chorus progression and you can also throw in an F# over the Am/F#. Also, the A minor pentatonic and A minor blues modes will work fine over the Am-G-F-Am sequence, for instance.

These are just tips, so experiment having these directions in mind, as I am sure you will discover a lot of interesting possibilities!

Remember - the only thing we require is that you participate and be yourself - there are no rules, and no limits!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deadline: October 9th

Participants: Cosmin Lupu, Gabriel Leopardi, Rhida, Monica Gheorghevici, bleez, Jeroen, Sensible Jones, Huargo, Caelumamittendum, Deleted, SirJamsalot, Kristofer Dahl

UPDATE : final video and instructor comments - click here

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Oct 27 2014, 06:21 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Rhida
Sep 9 2014, 12:15 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
So Cosmin
correct me if I'm wrong but the deal with this collab is
to work on my sense of melody
to work on my phrasing
to share ideas with others
to progress in all areas of my playing
to get excellent feedbacks and support from you and Gab
in one word to have ultimate fun!

You guessed it bro:

I AM IN!!!! laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Rhida: Sep 9 2014, 12:16 PM

+Quote Post
Huargo
Sep 9 2014, 12:35 PM
Tone Seeker
Nice backing!
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Sep 9 2014, 12:49 PM
Sweet melodies starting to grow inside my head. Oh my God!! I'm INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN !!

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 9 2014, 01:03 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 9 2014, 10:37 AM) *
Key: C major

so..... A Minor pentatonic? ph34r.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Sep 9 2014, 01:55 PM
Learning Tone Master

I'm in and ready with the improv smile.gif I will post my video Sunday wink.gif

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Sep 9 2014, 02:25 PM
This is an idea I'm working on for the intro:

https://soundcloud.com/jeroen-van-der-put/gmc-soulful-ballad-intro

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 9 2014, 03:43 PM
Instructor
Nice idea Jeroen! Please be careful with tuning / pitch, since some notes are a bit (very little) out of tune.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 9 2014, 04:00 PM
GMC:er
You had me at 'Collab'!!!
I'm definitely in!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 10 2014, 07:43 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Sep 9 2014, 01:25 PM) *
This is an idea I'm working on for the intro:

https://soundcloud.com/jeroen-van-der-put/gmc-soulful-ballad-intro

Hey mate! I love the note choice and the idea, but Gabi is right - polish it, focus on reaching the pitches and widen the vibrato, in order to really make it shine wink.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 9 2014, 12:03 PM) *
so..... A Minor pentatonic? ph34r.gif

It could work - read the advanced tips section, mate - There's a section where it could work very nicely I think, but you could also think in terms of the C major pentatonic scale - that's C D E G A C - and don't think positions, just invent some nice melodies that use these notes wink.gif Share your progress here and I'll guide you through.

QUOTE (Rhida @ Sep 9 2014, 11:15 AM) *
So Cosmin
correct me if I'm wrong but the deal with this collab is
to work on my sense of melody
to work on my phrasing
to share ideas with others
to progress in all areas of my playing
to get excellent feedbacks and support from you and Gab
in one word to have ultimate fun!

You guessed it bro:

I AM IN!!!! laugh.gif

All the assumptions are correct! biggrin.gif Welcome, welcome!

Lady and gentlemen! Welcome aboard! wink.gif I'm glad to see that you guys are stoked about this, so let's rock!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 10 2014, 08:26 PM
GMC:er
I"m in!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 11 2014, 07:49 AM
Instructor
Welcome Todd! Alright gents, who else is in? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 11 2014, 09:37 AM
Learning Rock Star
Since I was one of the ones suggesting a ballad, of course I'm in. Right up my alley this one!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 12 2014, 07:35 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 11 2014, 08:37 AM) *
Since I was one of the ones suggesting a ballad, of course I'm in. Right up my alley this one!

Welcome Ben! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Deleted
Sep 14 2014, 05:37 PM
Learning Rock Star
Here is my take of the verse + chorus file. First half contains a solo, second half is a rhythm part you could use to let somebody playing something epic over it. smile.gif

Attached File  Solo___Backing.mp3 ( 2.25MB ) Number of downloads: 184

Attached File  Only_Solo.wav ( 12.55MB ) Number of downloads: 209

Video.mp4

This post has been edited by Deleted: Sep 15 2014, 02:00 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Sep 14 2014, 06:07 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Deleted @ Sep 14 2014, 04:37 PM) *
Here is my take of the verse + chorus file. First half contains a solo, second half is a rhythm part you could use to let somebody playing something epic over it. smile.gif

Awesome take and lovely tone!!!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 15 2014, 11:07 AM
Instructor

Hey buddy! Epic take! Melodic, articulated, catchy and with a nice tone! Congratulations and thank you for the files! Can you please send me the source file for the video, as well? smile.gif Thank you in advance!

+Quote Post
Deleted
Sep 15 2014, 02:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks guys for your feedback! smile.gif

@Cosmin: I inserted the link to the .mp4 after other attachments in the main post.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 15 2014, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Video.mp4

Thank you mate - I got it!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 16 2014, 12:23 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Deleted @ Sep 14 2014, 01:37 PM) *

Video.mp4

Wou!!! That's a very nice take. Thanks for joining this one. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:43 PM