Diy Pickup Tech Testing Contraptions
yoncopin
Apr 1 2017, 06:51 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I've been doing a lot of research on pickups and wanted to be able to compare the technical details across manufacturers and between name-brand, boutique and generic pickups. Most manufacturers post no real details about their pickups and there is so much misinformation out there regarding their tone. This post in this thread is just the beginning of the journey, but I was excited to share the tools I've constructed to collect data.

These are the "real" details about a pickup to determine their output and EQ.
- Resonant Peak / Q factor
- Inductance
- Capacitance
- Resonant Peak
- DC Resistance
- Flux Density

First, using a car dash cam mount I built a device which will suction to the guitar face and lower a pickup to the strings for testing. This allows me to try pickups without changing strings or taking the guitar apart. It's a bit of a process, but is non-destructive and allows you to audition pickups.

Second, is the Gaussometer. At the end of the wooden stick is a hall-effect sensor which measures the presence of magnetic fields. This will allow for the comparison of the flux density, or magnet strength.

Third, is a device designed by Ken Wilmott to connect to my audio interface. You can sweep the frequency spectrum and map the frequency response (Q factor, Resonant Peak)

Lastly I have my trusty multimeter for DC resistence and an LCR meter for measuring the inductance. If anyone is interested I'll post more tech details and model info as I proceed.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Apr 1 2017, 07:53 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 1 2017, 07:40 PM
GMC:er
WOW! That's freaking impressive. Are you a pro mechanical engineer or something? This is FAR beyond guitar diy IMHO. These are specialized skills. I think the information you get from each pickup should be included in our gear WIKI. As Kris Mentioned, the more new content the better and maybe it will finally get the Nav link it deserves in light of Frans years of hard work! smile.gif

Also, I'm curious if you can test an original Ibanez V8 pickup. They are simple stock pickups but remain my fave in terms of tone. The only thing I've found close was the CRAZY 8 pickup from Seymour Duncan.

Todd

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 1 2017, 07:40 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 1 2017, 11:15 PM
Yes please smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Apr 2 2017, 01:22 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 1 2017, 01:40 PM) *
WOW! That's freaking impressive. Are you a pro mechanical engineer or something? This is FAR beyond guitar diy IMHO. These are specialized skills. I think the information you get from each pickup should be included in our gear WIKI. As Kris Mentioned, the more new content the better and maybe it will finally get the Nav link it deserves in light of Frans years of hard work! smile.gif

Also, I'm curious if you can test an original Ibanez V8 pickup. They are simple stock pickups but remain my fave in terms of tone. The only thing I've found close was the CRAZY 8 pickup from Seymour Duncan.

Todd

Ha! You're to nice biggrin.gif I'm actually a software engineer. I just love to tinker in my spare time, and it's more like specialized tools than skills smile.gif I don't have the pickups you mentioned, but would be happy to test them if you'd like to mail me the pair. We can see how close the two actually are. Not only that, but a pickup isn't set in stone, there are simple electric mods you can do to adjust resonant peaks or filter frequencies etc... Instead of just buying a new pickup, I can now see how small circuit adjustments can get closer to the tone I'm looking for.

My hypothesis is that a lot of pickup info is just marketing BS. It's really just magnets and a wire coil, and most designs haven't changed in decades. Stock pickups get a lot of haters as well as budget options like Guitarfetish and Dragonfire. I think for the most part they're all just re-branded Artecs or something similar. There is no reason an exceptional sounding pickup can't be made in Korea, etc... That said, I do think it's more challenging to find the sound you're looking for and manufacturers aren't very forthcoming with actual data (to protect their business). This makes comparisons hard, but now I can see the truth. I have a "vintage" SD JB, a modern SD JB and a Duncan Designed HB-102 (JB). My hypothesis is that they're identical, with a small production variance.

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Apr 2 2017, 01:23 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 2 2017, 01:45 AM
Can't wait to see what you find out! People bag on the cheap jb big time. It would be funny if it's just a pole adjustment or something. I'd have to rip the v8 out of my prized ibby, sadly, but I was curious about how alnico pickups look compared to ceramic smile.gif

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Apr 2 2017, 01:58 AM
Experienced Rock Star
Brilliant!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 2 2017, 10:28 AM
Yeah do an ibanez v8 as my experience is opposite to Todd's smile.gif but rather than sound my curiosity was the parts were way less magnetic than a dimarzio and I wonder if this affects freq. , dynamics or both.

Oh and also wax potting is a thing to test too! but careful I heard it can be flamable.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 4 2017, 12:48 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Wow, looks great smile.gif Adding it to the wiki! cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 11 2017, 03:42 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
It's here at this entry:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...ng_Contraptions

I'll be happy to add any new info to the wiki cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 11 2017, 06:52 PM
Instructor
Excellent concept! smile.gif Love it smile.gif

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Apr 12 2017, 02:30 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Fran @ Apr 11 2017, 09:42 AM) *
It's here at this entry:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...ng_Contraptions

I'll be happy to add any new info to the wiki cool.gif

Thanks for doing that Fran! I'm going to have some results to show shortly. I ordered some ceramic, and Alnico 2/5/8 bar magnets to see what magnets swaps do to existing pickups. Just waiting on delivery.

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Apr 11 2017, 12:52 PM) *
Excellent concept! smile.gif Love it smile.gif

Thanks Darius smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:19 PM