2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Huge Decision On Rest Of Life
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 3 2008, 05:22 PM
GMC:er
Ok. I'm 24 and slowly getting older and I have a HUGE choice to make. Do I stay in England or move to America/New Zealand/Japan etc.? I have a very highly qualified and hugely sort after job. I'm a Systems Engineer which in those 3 countries is the highest job on the chain of jobs. So basically anyone that is a qualified Systems Engineer can get in. But do I leave my friends and band behind to go about my own life or is it important to stay where your friends are?

Anyone help me with this especially people that have done this and emigrated.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Mar 3 2008, 05:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Mar 3 2008, 11:22 AM) *
Ok. I'm 24 and slowly getting older and I have a HUGE choice to make. Do I stay in England or move to America/New Zealand/Japan etc.? I have a very highly qualified and hugely sort after job. I'm a Systems Engineer which in those 3 countries is the highest job on the chain of jobs. So basically anyone that is a qualified Systems Engineer can get in. But do I leave my friends and band behind to go about my own life or is it important to stay where your friends are?

Anyone help me with this especially people that have done this and emigrated.

It is a hard decision.
But know that you can always go back home...
I left France 3 years ago and was like you. I didn't know what would happen here. But I met y wife here and got married and musically things are pretty good.
And once again, you can always go back home...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 3 2008, 05:35 PM
Moderation Policy Director
I emigrated to the States from the UK nearly 2 years ago - I am also a Systems Engineer/Presales kind of guy.

I love England and always will, but I have been very happy here and find that there are more opportunities and a higher standard of living, and have no plans to return to the UK except to visit. What clinched it for me though was that my wife is American - that also smoothed the emigration process. You should have no trouble getting over here on an H1B though in our field.

I came to the US with a built in new family and some friends, plus I am married - it might be different for a single guy (I guess you are single?). People here are friendly though, and absolutely won;t judge you from where you come from or what you have done. It took me quite a while to understand Americans - you think you understand them already, but unless you have lived here you don;t really, the fact that we both talk English disguises a lot of cultural differences. I have to say that having go to underrstand this place I am very happy with the high level of politness and friendlyness I have found here - the US sometimes gets a bad reputation in the world press, but equating all Americans with George Bush, or anyone else for that matter is sloppy thinking, you have to get to know the individuals. (I am not picking on Bush BTW, that was just an example of seomeone that people equate with the whole of the USA - sloppy thinking).

Best time to try this is when you are young - come over and work here for a year, you don't have to make any firm decisions yet. If you like it, stay, if not go home.

Simple huh? But well worth a try if you can swing it.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Spreedmaster
Mar 3 2008, 07:20 PM
Go for it! Even if it sucks you can come back, its not really that huge a decision. Once I finish my masters I'm off to Japan! biggrin.gif

--------------------
''It is not herasy, and I will not repent''

Guitars:B.C. Rich WMD SOB with EMG 81/85s and Afterburner
B.C. Rich green acrylic ice Mockingbird with Rockfield Mafia/Fat ass
Black Peavy Rotor EX
ESP LTD DV200 with an irongear hammerhead in the bridge

Gear: Marshall MG15DFX
POD 2.0
Dunlop crybaby
Behringer UM300
Danelectro FAB metal
Biyang DS-7
Behringer EQ700

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 3 2008, 07:47 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Huge decision..Andrews advice is very valuable..Go to US and work for some time and see how it works for you..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Mar 3 2008, 07:58 PM
Lets go fishing!
If you do go away, make sure you can access the internet so you wont miss out on the fun here wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Duncan
Mar 3 2008, 08:22 PM
Go to America. Chicks dig the English accent. wink.gif

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 3 2008, 09:37 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Mar 3 2008, 04:35 PM) *
I emigrated to the States from the UK nearly 2 years ago - I am also a Systems Engineer/Presales kind of guy.

I love England and always will, but I have been very happy here and find that there are more opportunities and a higher standard of living, and have no plans to return to the UK except to visit. What clinched it for me though was that my wife is American - that also smoothed the emigration process. You should have no trouble getting over here on an H1B though in our field.

I came to the US with a built in new family and some friends, plus I am married - it might be different for a single guy (I guess you are single?). People here are friendly though, and absolutely won;t judge you from where you come from or what you have done. It took me quite a while to understand Americans - you think you understand them already, but unless you have lived here you don;t really, the fact that we both talk English disguises a lot of cultural differences. I have to say that having go to underrstand this place I am very happy with the high level of politness and friendlyness I have found here - the US sometimes gets a bad reputation in the world press, but equating all Americans with George Bush, or anyone else for that matter is sloppy thinking, you have to get to know the individuals. (I am not picking on Bush BTW, that was just an example of seomeone that people equate with the whole of the USA - sloppy thinking).

Best time to try this is when you are young - come over and work here for a year, you don't have to make any firm decisions yet. If you like it, stay, if not go home.

Simple huh? But well worth a try if you can swing it.

Thanks for the awesome advice man. Where is best to look for Systems Engineering jobs in USA. I don't know anything about the States so have no idea which area is best for Engineers and to live in. I always fancied living in Connecticut.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Mar 3 2008, 10:13 PM
My belief is that by the end of one's life, family, friends, whatever you accomplished while sitting in one spot your whole life really won't mean anything, and that the real goal of life is to live everywhere in the world, meet all kinds of people you can imagine, experience every culture, accomplish everything. Seriously why would anyone want to follow the standard human life? Born-school-college-job-marriage-kids-watch TV and get old-die.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jamesito
Mar 3 2008, 11:05 PM
Hey dude!!!

I have to say, emigrating and forging a new life is something really positive that you can do!!! Let´s face it England is ok but at the same time, your talents go to waste there... it´s a totally money driven culture, mortages and all that stuff... that stuff dosent matter man... it´s all about personal objectives and goals not what the norm is... I live in Ecuador but I havent emigrated here... yet lol. It will happen some day, I would say exploit the opportunity to work in the UK, save some money and leave... Sure u will miss your friends, family and band but America is a great place and your bound to meet new friends and a new band!!!!

The women are ok i guess, i m not into american girls but Latinas hell yes!!!! so come to jamesito spanish corner for some south of the border advice lol!!!!! Olé!!!! but if you are not 100% happy in the UK, take a chance man, I have lived in Spain and Ecuador and both beat england, even though im from Gods own county (That´s Yorkshire you southern faires lol tongue.gif im looking at you as well here Andrew lol).

My advice is go for it buddy, your still young and you can still integrate easily into a new culture... I have and im only 21 so go for it my friend. Your line of work is very desirable too so make the most of the opportunity and I will see you state side! smile.gif

Jamesito biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Jamesito: Mar 3 2008, 11:07 PM

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Mar 3 2008, 11:25 PM
A change like this often equils a new beginning.. I love changes like this.. even small 1's.. When i left home to live in residence i felt like a whole new person.. even though university was in the same city.. my life was like it was completely new.. now im trying to get another change like this.. ive applied to university in Ottawa so i can finish my last 2 years of my 4 year program there ( its only 8 hours of driving away) but i believe that a fresh start is just what the doctor ordered right now smile.gif moves can be scary but no matter where you go you'll meet new friends and have a new steady life eventually regardless of where it is ( unless maybe like.. the arctic where your basically all alone biggrin.gif ) good luck with your descision smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Mar 3 2008, 11:32 PM
Instructor
IMHO good friends will always be with you, nowadays Internet is a great tool in the comunicationship, so that's not an excuse, just look into youself and forgot the rest of the people and your fears.

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Mar 3 2008, 11:33 PM
Instructor
any where man you can go thats the life you still young to do and to work good as a young. but finally you have to think about when you get older so more works now more comfortable life when you get older. wish you the best

+Quote Post
stratman33
Mar 3 2008, 11:38 PM
come on over to the USA man biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
rokchik
Mar 4 2008, 12:23 AM
The Dark Canuck
Hey Organised...I say do whatever is going to make you the happiest. Put some resumes out there and see what you get back. If you find one you like then go for it man. Home will always be there and with the internet your friends are never that far away.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Mar 4 2008, 12:56 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Oddly enough I came home from work tonight and my wifes family are seriously thinking of taking off to New Zealand blink.gif this would be her brother, sister in law and parents, her parents have said that they`d only go if my wife, my daughter and myself went as well.

My answer was basically a straight no, however, if it was America they where talking about then I`d probably have to seriously think about it, I have nothing against New Zealand, just not a place that I`ve felt the need to go to, America on the other hand I`ve always wanted to go to, to live?? well thats a whole different ball game.

But if I was younger and single with some great prospects of jobs then I think you gotta give it a go, as others have said, give it a go for a year, your only young and a year out isnt going to hurt you if you decide you want to come back to the UK and pick up again here.

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 4 2008, 01:09 AM
Singing Instructor
I vote Japan biggrin.gif tongue.gif smile.gif ...in a cople of yeras in Japan people will fly..ther tehnology is the best in the world..

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 4 2008, 01:40 AM
You're all offering me great information guys. I have to make a decision on this in the next year or two basically. Im gonna go for it guys. Im gonna start job searching now and saving for a house. Where would you go in america.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Mar 4 2008, 01:59 AM
if i went to america.. id go further south.. like california.. somewhere where it is mostly warm.. im a canadian.. and i hate winter smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Mar 4 2008, 02:00 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Mar 4 2008, 12:59 AM) *
if i went to america.. id go further south.. like california.. somewhere where it is mostly warm.. im a canadian.. and i hate winter smile.gif

I always think about that, but then I wonder, would you get sick of the heat? huh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:41 PM