Do Pickups Really Make A Difference?
Tjchep
Jul 18 2008, 12:22 AM
GMC:er
Well I've finnally got all my problems with my ibanez s470 sorted out (Had some tuning issues) And form what people have been saying in reviews and stuff - is that the pickups are bad.

I think some of my others guitars have a better sound. But is it worth the 150 or so to change out the pickups or what?

I'm not going to get a new guitar for a while anyways. So I thought why not change the pickups. But I don't like wasting money.

So would you recommend doing it?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 18 2008, 12:23 AM
Learning Roadie
If you buy a new pickup set, its perhaps the single best thing you can do to change your tone. I guarantee you you won't feel like you wasted your money smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jul 18 2008, 12:30 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (JVM @ Jul 18 2008, 12:23 AM) *
If you buy a new pickup set, its perhaps the single best thing you can do to change your tone. I guarantee you you won't feel like you wasted your money smile.gif

totally agree with JVM here, I hated the stock pups in my Jackson, I finally changed them a while ago and wow what a difference, worth every penny.

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 18 2008, 12:31 AM
Learning Rock Star
Agreed. If there is one thing that changes the tone it is the pick ups.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Ognjen Protic
Jul 18 2008, 12:45 AM
Instructor
Here's some example (hope that will do wink.gif )

At D end of '06 I had a meeting 4 a job (playin' guit.) in R66 and didn't know that there is gear on stage and that they are waiting D director from Germany. He had a birthday and they wanted 2 surprise him with a jam session. I was asked to play first and they give me Aria guitar that is worth 100 $. It was Strat like guit. with singles and have serious tuning problem and strings were so high that a mouse can go under'em... rolleyes.gif ...and the jam was great, because I had no problem with that guitar... I'm not trying to say that I'm a killer guitarist, I just want you to focus on playing and enjoying in music and great feeling and not be worried about guitars and pickups because it will come when D time is right... biggrin.gif

Ognjen

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 18 2008, 12:50 AM
Instructor
Stock pickups usually aren't the greatest
and if you feel you can get more from your axe
then change them, why not. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 18 2008, 01:47 AM
Instructor
Changing the pickups works best on mid-priced guitars, 300-800e. Bellow the cost is too big (but still it is good), and above usually pups are quality ones, or guitar has character already that can only be disturbed with other pickups.

Generally, if you know what you want from a pickup and you buy a new one, the sound will be better by a notch, that's for sure.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jul 18 2008, 02:23 AM
Instructor
New pickups can make all the difference.
If i recall correctly, the S470 uses the Ibanez INF pickups. They arent the worst though, but replacing them with some better ones can really get your guitar to shine. Just make sure you get the right ones that fit your style.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
bladzerok
Jul 18 2008, 02:37 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
I have a ibanez s series guitar, same pickup as yours... and i am about to change them laugh.gif
in fact, i have ordered a dimarzio evo bridge pickup and a paf PRO for the neck position on it
ill recieve them in about a week or two, so if you still need help i could say you if it worth $140 to change these pickups in a week or two smile.gif

--------------------
My gears are:
guitars:
-simon and patrick accoustic guitar
-ovation accoustic guitar
-Ibanez S320 electric guitar
-Ibanez RG7321 electric guitar
amp:
-Peavey valveking 112
effects:
-Boss SD-1
-Dunlop crybaby from hell
-Boss GE-7 7-Band Equaliser
-Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Jul 18 2008, 06:47 AM
Yup, good pickups can improve the overall quality of your sound, aswell as changing some tonal characteristics. A worthy investment for any gigging or studio guitarist.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Jul 18 2008, 09:12 AM
Instructor
FOR SURE !! Pickups are really impostant, specially if you play with few effects wink.gif

+Quote Post
wrk
Jul 18 2008, 10:39 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Maybe it's just my impression, but i think as i'm just using my Pod XT and not an real Amp, the sound is more or less ok or at least tweakable with the Pod to have a good sound, even with cheap pickups.

For me the differences with quality pickups are that it capture more dynamic of my playing. Beside the guitar i normally use with good pickups, i have an Ibanez RG350DX with INF 3/4 pickups. I like the playability of this guitar, but for me it's hard to add dynamic to the sound.

... maybe i should explain my definition of "dynamic" in this case. Changing the angle of the pick, the attack to hit the strings, different kind of vibrato ... all those phrasing things besides the notes you actually hear.

I guess it would worth a try to change the pickups on your guitar. You will have fun with it, but which pickups to choose? .. this is exactly my problem as well .. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gilmore
Jul 18 2008, 11:20 AM
I have changed pickups in all my guitars except for one. Even though you buy expensive guitar you may want to change out the pickups, not that they are bad, but not quite what suits your style or what you are looking for in that guitar. It´s hard to find a guitar that has all the elements you want from it, the stock pickups are usually standard, exept from in reissues and some special versions, like my Gibson SG 1961 RI was just perfect and I will never change those pickups out or anything else in that axe. I like vintage style (PAF) pickups in most cases, but for my Ibanez RG I like to have more modern tone, so I put Dimarzio Evos in that one, because the stock pups were weak.

Also if you play only through POD or something like that, pickups change does not change the tone alot. You have to play through a real tube amp to hear it. Like if i play the SG and the LP through the POD, they sound pretty much the same, but when i play through my Marshalls, they are alot different, the SG has Gibson 57´Classics in it, and the LP Burstucker Pro.

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jul 18 2008, 11:25 AM
Pick Ups have the biggest changable impact on the tone you can get. The wood has the greatest which you can't change and the pick ups the second in my opinion. The difference between a cheap guitar with stock pick ups and a cheap guitar with kick ass pick ups is huge in my opinion. I'm looking for a cheap Mexican Strat at the minute just to put texas specials in it.

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Jul 18 2008, 11:25 AM

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jul 18 2008, 12:32 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Yes, pickups really do make a difference, believe me..
I just changed in one of my Gibsons to Bareknuckle handwound pickups and it was worth every penny! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 18 2008, 12:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (wrk @ Jul 18 2008, 11:39 AM) *
Maybe it's just my impression, but i think as i'm just using my Pod XT and not an real Amp, the sound is more or less ok or at least tweakable with the Pod to have a good sound, even with cheap pickups.

For me the differences with quality pickups are that it capture more dynamic of my playing. Beside the guitar i normally use with good pickups, i have an Ibanez RG350DX with INF 3/4 pickups. I like the playability of this guitar, but for me it's hard to add dynamic to the sound.

... maybe i should explain my definition of "dynamic" in this case. Changing the angle of the pick, the attack to hit the strings, different kind of vibrato ... all those phrasing things besides the notes you actually hear.

I guess it would worth a try to change the pickups on your guitar. You will have fun with it, but which pickups to choose? .. this is exactly my problem as well .. smile.gif

Very well said wrk, with some gear (digi units mostly) perhaps you cannot notice
real difference between pickups,except output (power) difference of course.
But if you play on more analog stuff like all tube amp per example
then you'll hear all the difference,dynamics allowed with certain pickup,color range etc. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Jul 18 2008, 10:57 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jul 18 2008, 12:56 PM) *
Very well said wrk, with some gear (digi units mostly) perhaps you cannot notice
real difference between pickups,except output (power) difference of course.
But if you play on more analog stuff like all tube amp per example
then you'll hear all the difference,dynamics allowed with certain pickup,color range etc. smile.gif

Perfect, I'm using digital stuff now (toneport), But I know I will be using tube amps in the near future, so I guess I might as well do it now while I have a few extra bucks.

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 20 2008, 10:37 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Changing pickups on such guitars will definitely make a positive difference..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:41 PM