22 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Phil66's Bootcamp, Glory Awaits!!
Todd Simpson
Jul 6 2020, 10:17 PM
GMC:er
Thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear you are getting close to recovery!!!!

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 6 2020, 04:49 PM) *
Hello Todd,

As I haven't had much recovery progress I had a video consultation today, to get through this final stage of recovery as quickly as possible I have to stop as much movement with my hands supinated (palm turned upwards towards body) as possible. He feels that doing prolonged movements in that position is antagonising the injury and causing much slower recovery. Unfortunately that means no guitar. Hopefully it will only be a few days as I'm 95% recovered but this final 5% is still preventing chord vibrato so I need to get to 100%..

I'll keep you informed.

Cheers

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 12 2020, 07:51 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello Sarge,

Update, I've just tried the SRV lesson and still can't vibrato the chords, I also still can't do the tapping drill in bootcamp with my right hand muting at the top of the neck, I didn't expect to as I still have weakness in my left arm but it is getting better. As always, the last 20% of recovery seems to take 80% of the time for the total recovery. If I flex my left bicep, a lot of it is still soft whereas my right bicep is very firm. This tells me, I think, that many of the muscle fibres aren't being triggered by the related nerves, this has likely caused parts of the bicep to wither. I'll report this finding to the consultant tomorrow, it may need some electro-stimulation which I can do at home at a certain level.

We'll get there.

Cheers

Phil

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 13 2020, 08:52 AM
Soldier. Only the Noble of spirit fight on when pain besieges them. Take pride in you works and effort. Offer yourself the patience you have earned. We will all be here, anxious to hear your playing when the time is right.

Sage

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 12 2020, 02:51 PM) *
Hello Sarge,

Update, I've just tried the SRV lesson and still can't vibrato the chords, I also still can't do the tapping drill in bootcamp with my right hand muting at the top of the neck, I didn't expect to as I still have weakness in my left arm but it is getting better. As always, the last 20% of recovery seems to take 80% of the time for the total recovery. If I flex my left bicep, a lot of it is still soft whereas my right bicep is very firm. This tells me, I think, that many of the muscle fibres aren't being triggered by the related nerves, this has likely caused parts of the bicep to wither. I'll report this finding to the consultant tomorrow, it may need some electro-stimulation which I can do at home at a certain level.

We'll get there.

Cheers

Phil

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 13 2020, 09:09 AM
Was your sign off a clever pun or a typo? wink.gif

To be honest Sarge there isn't much pain, the left arm just isn't responding to nerve impulses at the moment, or rather the necessary nerves aren't being triggered.

We'll get there for sure.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 14 2020, 07:49 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 14 2020, 02:36 AM
I have great respect for anyone who fights through things and doesn't complain and you've have not winged one bit. I'm glad it's getting better smile.gif Bootcamp and I will be here for ya!

Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 13 2020, 04:09 AM) *
Was your sign off a clever pun or a typo? wink.gif

To be honest Sarge there isn't much pain, the last arm just isn't responding to nerve impulses at the moment, or rather the necessary nerves aren't being triggered.

We'll get there for sure.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 3 2020, 09:42 PM
Hello Sarge,

I'm going to start working on strengthening this arm /shoulder for a few days, it's still not perfect but it could take months so I might as well try, the last few % always take the longest or cost the most in practically anything in life.

Hopefully I'll be back in Bootcamp very soon.

Speak soon buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 3 2020, 10:20 PM
Hope you heal up and hair over as they say! Get strong Soldier!

Sarge

quote name='Phil66' date='Aug 3 2020, 04:42 PM' post='779309']
Hello Sarge,

I'm going to start working on strengthening this arm /shoulder for a few days, it's still not perfect but it could take months so I might as well try, the last few % always take the longest or cost the most in practically anything in life.

Hopefully I'll be back in Bootcamp very soon.

Speak soon buddy.
[/quote]

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 8 2020, 04:13 PM
Hello Sarge,

I'm pretty disappointed, tried out my holiday home setup, my shoulder problem seemed much much better but if you watch this video you can see that I still can't slide down the neck whilst holding a chord, even a power chord. I suppose I'll have to get some more help from someone, I think I will need more than a video consultation now which I'm a little bit uneasy about to be honest.

I can try the Bootcamp stuff though as most of that is single note stuff.

https://youtu.be/OeXWGCcyiS8

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 8 2020, 10:42 PM
Congats on getting back on the horse Soldier! I can see it's still painful. The good news is that like you say, bootcamp has a lot of single note stuff. I think you may need physical therapy which is hard via tele visit. Don't give up soldier!!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 9 2020, 08:56 AM
Thanks Sarge,

It's not painful to be honest, it just won't work, almost like when someone has had a stroke. That grimace on my face isn't from pain, it's from determination trying to get the hand to move. I can move down the neck easily with one finger but not holding a chord.

The physio that I use and trust is only doing face to face consultations for urgent cases so I'm going to arrange another video consultation with them. It's nearly there now, I just hope it needs specific exercises and not more leaving the guitar alone.

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 9 2020, 05:46 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 12 2020, 04:40 AM
Good news about the pain! I'm sure you will work through this soldier!!!

Sarge

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 12 2020, 07:34 AM
One can only try eh Sarge?

Last night I could slide down the neck a couple of frets holding a power chord on my Ibby, I managed it quite a few times in succession, I was a little bit better than before on my MiM Strat (the white one) but it was a no go on my SRV so it is getting better.

I'm waiting for the physio to get back to me re a Skype consultation, they're having to juggle a lot of appointments as they have a couple off sick and there are only four of them in total so we'll see how it goes. Last night seemed promising though so maybe the whole neurological system is spurting back into life smile.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 13 2020, 11:28 PM
That's great news Soldier!!! keep calm and shred on!!! I look forward to your being back in the fight!

Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 12 2020, 02:34 AM) *
One can only try eh Sarge?

Last night I could slide down the neck a couple of frets holding a power chord on my Ibby, I managed it quite a few times in succession, I was a little bit better than before on my MiM Strat (the white one) but it was a no go on my SRV so it is getting better.

I'm waiting for the physio to get back to me re a Skype consultation, they're having to juggle a lot of appointments as they have a couple off sick and there are only four of them in total so we'll see how it goes. Last night seemed promising though so maybe the whole neurological system is spurting back into life smile.gif

Cheers

Phil

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 15 2020, 07:47 PM
Hello Sarge,

Okay, there is some improvement, I haven't managed to get a video consultation just yet, they still have two of the four physios off sick and aren't taking any more bookings until next week but after some email discussion, they think that over the months the muscle fibres that weren't getting the impulse to switch on from the nerve signal have atrophied a lot. They said if there's no pain to speak of, just to keep on working at the stuff they can't do and see if they strengthen. They said if I get any pain at all, to stop again. They still want to see me but I have to contact them next week as the two of them are trying to video conference with their own patients and the two physio's patients that are off sick.

I think there is some progress, if you watch this video, it's amazing how the different guitars give different results. Please ignore any tuning issues as I just pulled them off the wall for the demo. This is the 7#9 chord but I'm not really paying much attention to hitting all of the strings, just getting the left hand working. I couldn't do this last week on any of these three guitars. Apologies for the flash of stripey underpants to ohmy.gif it's pretty hot and sticky here at the moment wink.gif

https://youtu.be/RCweZUYq-HE

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 15 2020, 08:05 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 15 2020, 11:03 PM
The docs are right, IF YOU FEEL PAIN STOP PLAYING!!!! You can permanently injure yourself like I've done in the past and it's just not worth it. Each axe will feel a bit different depending on how your body is doing and how thick the neck/strings are etc. Whichever one is the MOST comfy is probly the one to use til things smooth out smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 15 2020, 02:47 PM) *
Hello Sarge,

Okay, there is some improvement, I haven't managed to get a video consultation just yet, they still have two of the four physios off sick and aren't taking any more bookings until next week but after some email discussion, they think that over the months the muscle fibres that weren't getting the impulse to switch on from the nerve signal have atrophied a lot. They said if there's no pain to speak of, just to keep on working at the stuff they can't do and see if they strengthen. They said if I get any pain at all, to stop again. They still want to see me but I have to contact them next week as the two of them are trying to video conference with their own patients and the two physio's patients that are off sick.

I think there is some progress, if you watch this video, it's amazing how the different guitars give different results. Please ignore any tuning issues as I just pulled them off the wall for the demo. This is the 7#9 chord but I'm not really paying much attention to hitting all of the strings, just getting the left hand working. I couldn't do this last week on any of these three guitars. Apologies for the flash of stripey underpants to ohmy.gif it's pretty hot and sticky here at the moment wink.gif

https://youtu.be/RCweZUYq-HE

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 16 2020, 07:34 AM
Strangely the SRV feels the most comfortable in my hands but I guess its not sitting the biomechanics at the moment. I'm not going to get the Ibby setup for my current lesson https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/SRV-Chordal-Licks/ which is what I had the SRV setup for, I'll just have to work with the Ibby and practise it in the wrong key rolleyes.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 16 2020, 08:21 AM
Gotta use what's comfy!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 16 2020, 02:34 AM) *
Strangely the SRV feels the most comfortable in my hands but I guess its not sitting the biomechanics at the moment. I'm not going to get the Ibby setup for my current lesson https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/SRV-Chordal-Licks/ which is what I had the SRV setup for, I'll just have to work with the Ibby and practise it in the wrong key rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 16 2020, 10:07 AM
Tye SRV is comfy but I can't use it, the Ibby feels like I'm playing a credit card but I can use it, none of them give me pain though, just on the SRV it's harder for me to move towards the headstock without taking my fingers off the fretboard.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 16 2020, 08:21 AM) *
Gotta use what's comfy!!!

Sarge

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 18 2020, 01:21 AM
Feels like playing a credit card smile.gif I got a good chuckle on that. I think they should make one with an American Express pain job. Would make a funny ad campaign smile.gif I'm just glad that your not having pain when you play. I'm very sorry that this issue has gotten in your way, but I've been very impressed with how you have chosen to work through it. There is no QUIT in you Soldier!! You just don't know how, which is a good thing imho. Stay the course Solldier!! you will make it through this.

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 16 2020, 05:07 AM) *
Tye SRV is comfy but I can't use it, the Ibby feels like I'm playing a credit card but I can use it, none of them give me pain though, just on the SRV it's harder for me to move towards the headstock without taking my fingers off the fretboard.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 21 2020, 10:01 PM
Back in action sarge, shoulder is still weak, for instance, I can lift a guitar at arm's length above my should with my right arm but with my left I can barely lift it, still some work to do but we're getting there and I'm having hardly any hassle playing now.

I'm trying BC22 again, I've been struggling to position my hand to pull off every note so I went and checked on how Adam managed and noticed that, for instance, in bar two, he slides from the 12th fret to the 11th. Is that okay or should I try to pull off every note?

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

22 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:00 PM