Mesa Boogie 112 Thiele Cab With C90, Anyone used this cab before?
dcz702
May 28 2014, 04:06 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Looking to take this cab off this guys hands used and craiglist. Really I wanted to get a mesa 112 rectifier for a extra lightweight cab and recording, but craiglist got a used 112 thiele, for cheap. Like my 212 rec cab with v30's, play lots of high gain stuff, and use a mesa mini rectifier. I know. Should plug into it and test it out and pass if I don't like it, but going to a strangers house to test and pass is kinda lame. Unless it may be a cab that would suit my need, probably.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SixStringSamurai
May 28 2014, 06:51 AM
GMC:er
Yep. I gigged that exact combo (Mini Rec + Thiele) for about a year.

If you're used to V30s you'll find the C90 to be a slightly flatter sounding speaker in the mids. It'll sound a little "cleaner".

The ported Thiele design means that it has WAY more punch in the low end than a tiny cube of that size has any right to be. It could pump out at least as much low end as many 2x12s, I reckon.

But just because it has only one speaker, in a band with a 2x12 or a quad it may get a little lost. Wasn't a problem for me in a one guitar covers band.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 28 2014, 07:28 AM
Yeah dude, if you are putting down money, you get to play test the cab smile.gif The last thing you wanna do is get home with it and have some issue then the dude says you broke it in transit. So yeah, play before you pay smile.gif

QUOTE (dcz702 @ May 27 2014, 11:06 PM) *
Looking to take this cab off this guys hands used and craiglist. Really I wanted to get a mesa 112 rectifier for a extra lightweight cab and recording, but craiglist got a used 112 thiele, for cheap. Like my 212 rec cab with v30's, play lots of high gain stuff, and use a mesa mini rectifier. I know. Should plug into it and test it out and pass if I don't like it, but going to a strangers house to test and pass is kinda lame. Unless it may be a cab that would suit my need, probably.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 28 2014, 07:29 AM

+Quote Post
dcz702
May 28 2014, 10:17 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (SixStringSamurai @ May 28 2014, 05:51 AM) *
Yep. I gigged that exact combo (Mini Rec + Thiele) for about a year.

If you're used to V30s you'll find the C90 to be a slightly flatter sounding speaker in the mids. It'll sound a little "cleaner".

The ported Thiele design means that it has WAY more punch in the low end than a tiny cube of that size has any right to be. It could pump out at least as much low end as many 2x12s, I reckon.

But just because it has only one speaker, in a band with a 2x12 or a quad it may get a little lost. Wasn't a problem for me in a one guitar covers band.

Thanks for the reply. So did you like the overall sound of the set up?
I've been checking craigslist for awhile for a 112 cab with v30s to pop up. Plenty of orange cabs have been listed but I need 8 ohm. So got excited when I saw the thiele. I have a 212 rec cab I use now with my mini rec and love it. Want the 112 just for the studio and maybe to jam when a lot of volume isn't needed.
Was thinking of springin for a new avatar 112, cause I've been waiting for something to pop up on craigslist for to long.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 28 2014, 06:28 AM) *
Yeah dude, if you are putting down money, you get to play test the cab smile.gif The last thing you wanna do is get home with it and have some issue then the dude says you broke it in transit. So yeah, play before you pay smile.gif

definatly would plug my amp into it. just a waste of time to even bother to hook up with the dude if its not a cab that really suits what i want, dont know to much about speakers and the difference in sound from each model.

+Quote Post
SixStringSamurai
May 28 2014, 10:36 AM
I did like the tones, and the portability of that setup was second to none. Mini Rec in bag slung over my shoulder, cab in one hand, guitar case in the other. Brilliant. Sadly, that whole rig has now been lost to the merry go round of GAS.

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 28 2014, 04:42 PM
I've have the 'opened' back version of that Boogie cab. Possibly one of the best cabinets I've ever owned regardless of size.
Single 12" MC 90 (black shadow) Celestion speaker. Obviously the closed back and ported Thiele version will have more 'directed' low end (though mine doesn't seem to lack for any - ? It's worked very well for me live and in the studio. I've had it since probably 1992. It sounds so good I've even rented it out for sessions.

You can see the front of the cab under the amp head.
Attached Image

This post has been edited by klasaine: May 28 2014, 05:28 PM

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 29 2014, 08:58 PM
If it's a steal of a price, I say go for it! I Always keep my eye open for a good deal on a cab. Plus, if you practice at a few spots, just store them around town and you only have to worry about transporting the head! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

That's what I do.

--------------------
Rock and Roll Lover. Vintage Ampeg collector. Soon to be new father.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:24 PM