About Sensitive Gmc Topics, new track: DEUS MORTIS
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 19 2017, 08:09 AM
GMC Founder
Inspired by our ultra cool political and general discussions here - I have written a new track and video.

It deals with many topics which we have discussed here - can you spot them all ? smile.gif Lyrics below

PALLOR MORTIS
(first stage of death, skin turns pale)

LIVOR MORTIS
(discoloration of the skin)

ALGOR MORTIS
(second stage of death, body turns cold)

RIGOR MORTIS
(muscles stiffen 2-6 hours after death)

DEUS MORTIS? DEUS!
(God are you dead? Oh God!)

QUI AB OMNIBUS MALIS IN MUNDO? DEUS!
(Who is safe from all the dangers in the world? God!)

QUI CONFIDIT IN VIAM SUAM? OH DEUS!
(Who is certain of his path? God!)

DEUS LUX MEA EST
God is my light

DEUS SPES NOSTRA
God is our hope

DEUS CARITAS EST
God is love

DA DEUS FORTUNAE
God gives happiness

DEUS DAT INCREMENTUM / DAT DEUS INCREMENTUM
God gives growth

DEUS MORTIS? DEUS!
(God are you dead? Oh God!)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 19 2017, 08:35 AM
GMC:er
It kinda reminds me of a mix of Metallica and Mr.Bungle. Really enjoyed the song, the solo was killer!

Btw that guitar is pretty...hot! cool.gif if you get my..hm... i will walk myself out.....

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 19 2017, 08:57 AM
GMC Founder
Haha cheers mate! The guitar (frm100) apparently has not sold well. I bought it new for $500 (almost half the price I think) - this long after they're no longer in production.

Chances are you can find one cheap if you look around

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 19 2017, 09:25 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Great job again Kris, one that leaves a sad taste in the mouth same as the previous one. I specially enjoyed the riffing on this one.

May I ask where you got the videos/images from?

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 19 2017, 10:10 AM
You definitly have a style, so cool smile.gif

As for the guitar congrats! so unfortunate it didn't sell well, I tried one in a store and both loved the clean and distorted sounds.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 19 2017, 11:28 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Fran @ Apr 19 2017, 09:25 AM) *
Great job again Kris, one that leaves a sad taste in the mouth same as the previous one. I specially enjoyed the riffing on this one.

May I ask where you got the videos/images from?

Yeah - the sadness of these topics is a big inspiration to me.

FOOTAGE USED:
https://youtu.be/x2y3vLwrF6s
https://youtu.be/6v2L2UGZJAM
https://youtu.be/7ZQfkglXtjg
https://youtu.be/wkf-WxMZVP8
https://youtu.be/-UBGU-Rh-ZQ
https://youtu.be/drnuGBwLkzo

Footage not listed is taken from https://www.videvo.net/ or https://videos.pexels.com/

QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 19 2017, 10:10 AM) *
You definitly have a style, so cool smile.gif

As for the guitar congrats! so unfortunate it didn't sell well, I tried one in a store and both loved the clean and distorted sounds.

Thanks mate - I try biggrin.gif

How would you rate the production in comparison to the last one? I am really struggling to get some warmth going but I am not happy with the results yet - and I refuse to believe the solution is to buy analog recording gear ph34r.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 19 2017, 12:03 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
yup biggrin.gif that was brilliant! vocals are great on this as is that guitar.
Im gonna have all those 'mortis' lines stuck in my head now. Latin makes deathy words sound so cool biggrin.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 19 2017, 12:13 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (bleez @ Apr 19 2017, 12:03 PM) *
yup biggrin.gif that was brilliant! vocals are great on this as is that guitar.
Im gonna have all those 'mortis' lines stuck in my head now. Latin makes deathy words sound so cool biggrin.gif

Amen, latin is extremely cool! Not sure why, maybe it's because it's a dead language but still the basis for so many contemporary languages. Thanks a million mate!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 19 2017, 08:04 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Absolutely brilliant Kris, you are an inspiration mate. Thanks for sharing.

Reminds me of this, it gets going at about 0:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcKaCCedjQY

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 19 2017, 08:46 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 19 2017, 10:28 AM) *
How would you rate the production in comparison to the last one? I am really struggling to get some warmth going but I am not happy with the results yet - and I refuse to believe the solution is to buy analog recording gear ph34r.gif

I don't know if its the same master but I liked the youtube sound much more than facebook. This is just a guess as to give a proper answer I'd have to check wave files, your mix DAW settings etc. but judging by facebook sound you might have some issue with the Fletcher-Munson curve (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour).

Basically the mid/high contents of a source depends on how loud it is. Like, if mixed in low volume when gain increases (say in the mastering process) everything can sound harsh. Vsti's are usually sold already tuned/filtered for this reason, if this case is specific to your personal sound (vocal, guitar...) then chances are high for Fletcher-Munson curve related problem.

-Can be solved with either constant+higher listening levels; constant like find 2-3 optimum listening levels on your system and mark the volume knob so you'll be hearing the same source with the same volume the next day you continue work.

-mixing into a compressor/limiter (or frequently checking the mix with a limiter); This might take some experimentation at first but specially producers like working like this. Its almost like mixing and mastering at the same time, since all levels in the mix will be closer to each other eq'ing harshness will be much easier.

-upgrading monitors; Genelec for example deals with this for the user to some extent, expensive monitors has filters inside them.

As said just guessing here I hope suggestions will help. But I did like the youtube sound, don't slow down on music production cause of this smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 19 2017, 09:03 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 19 2017, 08:04 PM) *
Absolutely brilliant Kris, you are an inspiration mate. Thanks for sharing.

Reminds me of this, it gets going at about 0:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcKaCCedjQY

Yeah!! I absolutely love that kind of epic film score music. Thanks mate!

QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 19 2017, 08:46 PM) *
I don't know if its the same master but I liked the youtube sound much more than facebook. This is just a guess as to give a proper answer I'd have to check wave files, your mix DAW settings etc. but judging by facebook sound you might have some issue with the Fletcher-Munson curve (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour).

Basically the mid/high contents of a source depends on how loud it is. Like, if mixed in low volume when gain increases (say in the mastering process) everything can sound harsh. Vsti's are usually sold already tuned/filtered for this reason, if this case is specific to your personal sound (vocal, guitar...) then chances are high for Fletcher-Munson curve related problem.

-Can be solved with either constant+higher listening levels; constant like find 2-3 optimum listening levels on your system and mark the volume knob so you'll be hearing the same source with the same volume the next day you continue work.

-mixing into a compressor/limiter (or frequently checking the mix with a limiter); This might take some experimentation at first but specially producers like working like this. Its almost like mixing and mastering at the same time, since all levels in the mix will be closer to each other eq'ing harshness will be much easier.

-upgrading monitors; Genelec for example deals with this for the user to some extent, expensive monitors has filters inside them.

As said just guessing here I hope suggestions will help. But I did like the youtube sound, don't slow down on music production cause of this smile.gif

Yes the youtube mix had at least 1,5 week of more work put into it + facebook ads nasty compression to their videos.

I have experimented a little bit with a vintage style VST compressor on the mix but without success so far. Limiter is on, but quite gently.

I do test the mix on different volumes. When louder bass can get super loud.

Thanks for the feedback mate.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 19 2017, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the Lyrics!! My Latin and Greek studies are sadly lacking it seems. However, it seems you have a full command of ancient languages so press on I say! It's cool sounding when you hear it so I say more!!!

Todd

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 19 2017, 09:46 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 19 2017, 08:03 PM) *
Yes the youtube mix had at least 1,5 week of more work put into it + facebook ads nasty compression to their videos.

I have experimented a little bit with a vintage style VST compressor on the mix but without success so far. Limiter is on, but quite gently.

I do test the mix on different volumes. When louder bass can get super loud.

Thanks for the feedback mate.

Yeah if you look at the graph on the link bass is affected the most by volume differences.

Try more aggresive limiter settings (not vintage emulation but transparent ones) or a clipper, search gclip its a freeware. Clippers are most transparent but can buzz too easy, the buzzing actually helps determening levels of bass if too boomy but hough the tool is such simple, it takes experience to manage it.

Your music isn't sensitive to some degree of loud mastering/compression so maybe try acting less sensitive to compression with master buss.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 19 2017, 11:01 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 19 2017, 11:28 AM) *

Great music nicely done , I to can sympathize with these issues . My problem is when some complain loudly about these issues and then turn around and allow a human baby to be torn limb from limb , could you put that in your video ?

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 20 2017, 08:03 AM
Learning Tone Master
Killer song and truly amazing solo!!! It's always a pleasure to see a new original song from you because you always come with the unique Kris sound. This is the most important thing for a musician and I always loved and admired at you the fact that you have your own style smile.gif
Huge congrats for this awesome composition and impressive playing!!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 20 2017, 08:20 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 19 2017, 09:29 PM) *
Thanks for the Lyrics!! My Latin and Greek studies are sadly lacking it seems. However, it seems you have a full command of ancient languages so press on I say! It's cool sounding when you hear it so I say more!!!

Todd

haha well all the people that could comment on my pronunciation are dead ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 19 2017, 09:46 PM) *
Yeah if you look at the graph on the link bass is affected the most by volume differences.

Try more aggresive limiter settings (not vintage emulation but transparent ones) or a clipper, search gclip its a freeware. Clippers are most transparent but can buzz too easy, the buzzing actually helps determening levels of bass if too boomy but hough the tool is such simple, it takes experience to manage it.

Your music isn't sensitive to some degree of loud mastering/compression so maybe try acting less sensitive to compression with master buss.

I tried, but a master limiter would just cut bass off - and give me less warmth. I had no problems with buzzing though (and I don't mind a little buzzing)

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Apr 20 2017, 08:03 AM) *
Killer song and truly amazing solo!!! It's always a pleasure to see a new original song from you because you always come with the unique Kris sound. This is the most important thing for a musician and I always loved and admired at you the fact that you have your own style smile.gif
Huge congrats for this awesome composition and impressive playing!!! smile.gif

That such a nice comment Monica - made my day! wub.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 20 2017, 08:45 AM
Instructor
This is classic Dahl! Crazy and catchy cool.gif

The main riff has a nice Melodic Swedish Death Metal vibe to it... where you have a Maiden-ish I VI V chord progression to a thrashy beat. Great stuff.. I love that guitar as well, it suits you.

Re: the warmth... one thing I notice is when the lone guitar plays the riff you can hear the metallic edge of the reverb. It can be tough to lose that metallic edge on 'verbs and that can give a colder edge that we don't want. Experiment by bypassing all FX and seeing if your mix still feels cold. If not, then the fx need tweaking.

Good to see you creating again

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 20 2017, 09:16 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Apr 19 2017, 11:01 PM) *
Great music nicely done , I to can sympathize with these issues . My problem is when some complain loudly about these issues and then turn around and allow a human baby to be torn limb from limb , could you put that in your video ?

Sounds like it could be inspiration for a new tune, yes! But I am not sure who and what exactly you are referring to?

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Apr 20 2017, 08:45 AM) *
This is classic Dahl! Crazy and catchy cool.gif

The main riff has a nice Melodic Swedish Death Metal vibe to it... where you have a Maiden-ish I VI V chord progression to a thrashy beat. Great stuff.. I love that guitar as well, it suits you.

Re: the warmth... one thing I notice is when the lone guitar plays the riff you can hear the metallic edge of the reverb. It can be tough to lose that metallic edge on 'verbs and that can give a colder edge that we don't want. Experiment by bypassing all FX and seeing if your mix still feels cold. If not, then the fx need tweaking.

Good to see you creating again

Thanks so much Ben wub.gif and cool tip about the reverb I will see if I can address it next time. I also suspect the (short) reverb I have chosen might not react in natural way (dynamics wise).

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 20 2017, 05:35 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 20 2017, 09:16 AM) *
Sounds like it could be inspiration for a new tune, yes! But I am not sure who and what exactly you are referring to?

more an attitude than anyone in general and I'm referring to abortion , if I posted any video of that you'd probably , and rightly so , take it down

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:02 PM