Boss Gt-100 - Fender Amp
Sinclair
Dec 6 2016, 03:56 PM
GMC:er
I have a Boss GT-100 which offers a lot of patches. I am also using a new Fender Deluxe Reverb amp which has two input channels, No 1 (Custom) with Volume- Treble- and Bassknobs and No 2 (Vintage) with sex knobs, Volume, Treble, Bass, Reverb, Speed and Intensity.

I am not sure about how to use, or if I should use, the Boss GT-100-Preampsoption (natural clean highgain stack, BG Lead etc) together with the Fenderamp or if I only should use the Bosseffectoptions (overdrive, compressor, delay etc), that is use the Boss GT-100 only as an effect pedalboard.

I would appreciate suggestions.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Dec 6 2016, 04:43 PM
Experienced Rock Star
The latter. Unless you have an unusual Deluxe Reverb that has an effects loop, you'll be limited to using the GT100 for effects. And even then, only effects that are suitable for use before the preamp, like overdrive and compression.

Sex knobs sounds like an interesting mod to your amp smile.gif.

P.S. You'll have to experiment a bit with the GT100 output level to get something that sounds good.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 6 2016, 05:06 PM
No fx loop is a big limitation but as that amp is very flat sounding this might be worth trying;

Connect boss to input 1 but lower both eq's of the amp all the way down. Select a patch from the gt100 and observe the sound.

If the sound is too bassy or bright you have 2 options; either increase the bass or treble eq on the fender or disable the cab. emulation from the boss patch(or both).

This isn't very ideal but I'm positive with a little experimentation you'll figure a balance between the two units.

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Dec 6 2016, 03:43 PM) *
Sex knobs sounds like an interesting mod to your amp smile.gif.

biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 6 2016, 05:07 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Dec 6 2016, 06:20 PM
That's a very good sounding amp so I personally wouldn't worry about not using the amp models in the gt-100. Try the models out but don't be surprised if they never really sound that great. Use the OD/Dist/EQ to sculpt amp type sounds.

The effects in the GT will sound really great going into the front end of that amp - either channel. I would use the 2nd (trem/verb) channel.

*Fender vintage and vintage re-issue amps are definitely not what I would call 'flat' sounding in reference to the EQ. In fact, they are a bit scooped in the mids. That's one of the key elements in their beautiful, glassy and very full clean tone. Fender tone controls are all 'cut'. Which means that everything on 10 (or 12) is wide open. Also F midrange pots are 10k as opposed to say Marshall which are generally 25k, which means more mids. Even Fender amps that don't have a mid control have their mids 'set' (wired permanently) at about half way but with the lower value pot it's lower than many other popular amps (mesa, marshall, vox). This is why a stock TS sounds great w/a Fender - it pushes mids. This is also the 'magic' in the Klon Centaur pedal. These pedals were designed to go with a certain type of amp. Mids is where all the cool distortion lives.

The original Mesa-Boogie amp is a Fender Vibro-Champ with a bigger output transformer, a higher value mid pot (with added mid control), part of the trem circuit re-purposed as a preamp gain stage and an added, higher efficiency EV 12" speaker (instead of the 10").

Attached Image

This post has been edited by klasaine: Dec 6 2016, 07:30 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 6 2016, 08:08 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Dec 6 2016, 05:20 PM) *

oops good you did the clarification, I though it was like my amp biggrin.gif

A trick I did with some amps (usually not so great amps) was to play music throgh them and adjust their eq's to find the most "speaker-like" setting. As Klasaine mentioned a fender has good high freq. responce so its should sound much better than many amps for such use from the input.

This is interesting!; A friend of mine called me an hour ago and said that he bought a gt-1 smile.gif

It should sound very similar to a gt-100 (same sound engine but with lesser options). Without knowningly, he liked many sounds he got with his mesa although the processor wasn't set accordingly (like disabling cab.s etc.). Liked it even more on the amp rather than on computer. Lesson here is (as usual) you have to tweak as much as you can to get tones out of it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 6 2016, 11:47 PM
As with many things guitar, there is no one "Right Way" that you have to do it. In essence, trust your ears. Try both inputs, keep the amount of gain/dist low so that you can hear what is going on and not have it colored by dist coming from the amp.

At that point, the sky is the limit, you can use your computer tweak the patches to taste and have your fave patches ready to go and set to work with your amp.

Of course, you could skip the amp entirely and just run your GT in to your audio interface/sound card (it emulates amps/speaker cabs/etc.) and through your audio monitors/heaphones. Or even just put headphones right on the Gt100.

The Amp just makes it easy to turn on and play quick without having to turn on your computer and start software etc smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Sinclair @ Dec 6 2016, 10:56 AM) *
I have a Boss GT-100 which offers a lot of patches. I am also using a new Fender Deluxe Reverb amp which has two input channels, No 1 (Custom) with Volume- Treble- and Bassknobs and No 2 (Vintage) with sex knobs, Volume, Treble, Bass, Reverb, Speed and Intensity.

I am not sure about how to use, or if I should use, the Boss GT-100-Preampsoption (natural clean highgain stack, BG Lead etc) together with the Fenderamp or if I only should use the Bosseffectoptions (overdrive, compressor, delay etc), that is use the Boss GT-100 only as an effect pedalboard.

I would appreciate suggestions.

+Quote Post
Sinclair
Dec 7 2016, 10:15 AM
Thank you for all your feedback! I will use the trial-and-error-method and use your suggestions.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:07 AM