3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Ibanez Thermion Amp, 120Watts Tube Amp for an awesome price!
Pavel
Jul 31 2007, 04:28 PM
Instructor
Hey guys!

While searching websites for monitors i bumped into this:

http://ibanez.com/thermion/

It's an Ibanez amplifier, 120 Watts, Tubes - check the sound samples - to me sounds great! And also to those who are from Europe - check this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_tn120_thermion.htm

Just look at the price!! I am blown away!!
What do you say about this amp? Any experiences?

I don't have a decent tube amp so when i ran into this it got my full attention!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 31 2007, 04:44 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Holy crap, thats a pretty decent price for an amp of that magnitutde, i havent even heard of this before, i think its one of there 2007 lines, so its probably brand new.

Definetly looks worht it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 31 2007, 05:19 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I think it's been on the market since early 2006.

I never heard it but on paper it's a great amp! A vintage channel, speaks for itself. And hot channel which is EQ:ed with cutting mids instead of scooped. Which is teriffic in this modern channel!
It got some texture knobs and switches so I'm pretty sure you can key in ANY sound you like.

One mistake with it is to only release it as 120W. A power sponge included or a "half switch" would be appreciated. Which would make it a bit more expensive too of course.

I'd be interested in a 50W EL34 equipped Thermion for that kind of money. smile.gif

EDIT:
Maybe they loaded it full with 4 pcs of 6L6GC to compete directly with Peavey 6506+.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jul 31 2007, 05:22 PM

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 31 2007, 05:21 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Some reviews from Harmony central Pavel. Looks like it is a bit picky about the guitar/s you use with it but otherwise looks good and a good price.

Oddly enough although i knew Ibanez made amps I've never seen one and have never known anyoe who has played one. Maybe they kept them for the Japanese home market until now...

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 31 2007, 05:25 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 31 2007, 06:21 PM) *
Looks like it is a bit picky about the guitar/s you use with it but otherwise looks good and a good price.

I wonder if the testers are aware of the hi/lo switch for the guitar plug and how to use it? If you could sence that's a problem when you read the reviews.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 31 2007, 06:39 PM
Good point MickeM - probably not particularly as the tests were all in guitar shops rolleyes.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 31 2007, 07:34 PM
Instructor
To me it looks like an awesome amp for the price. Maybe Ibanez is not known by their amps but i am sure they are not bad - maybe people don't give them a chance because of other popular amp brands.

To be honest this Thermion made me to want one when i saw it last year on Ibanez's website.

I just looked at the reviews at Harmony Central. Just take a look at this comment:

"Ibanez makes great basses and good drum sets(Tama). However, their amps and guitars have always SUCKED"

It's a shame i can't try one here in Croatia sad.gif i really like the sound samples on the site.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 31 2007, 11:00 PM
Thats the first guy i know of that said all Ibanez Guitars suck, i feel bad for him.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 31 2007, 11:52 PM
Instructor
Yeah totally! Considering he said THAT - i also don't think he knows what he is talking about in that review about amp!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 1 2007, 12:26 AM
Instructor
Wow,price and features are really awesome!!!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 1 2007, 12:41 AM
And despite saying the guitars suck he still gave the amp a 10 so Ibanez must be on the right lines with this one. What we need is someone who can go test one in RL for the forum wink.gif . (Andrew maybe?)

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 1 2007, 12:43 AM
Instructor
Yeah!!
Andrew??

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 1 2007, 07:18 AM
Andrew!

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 1 2007, 08:01 AM
Instructor
But take your JEM to test it! Not Variax! biggrin.gif

Really i would love to hear a comment on it from someone from GMC who owns/tried one! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Francis Viviers
Aug 1 2007, 08:19 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 1 2007, 09:01 AM) *
But take your JEM to test it! Not Variax! biggrin.gif
Really i would love to hear a comment on it from someone from GMC who owns/tried one! smile.gif

Nice tight gain ... sounds awesome. Just dont like that blues clip ... heh

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 1 2007, 08:28 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Francis Viviers @ Aug 1 2007, 01:19 AM) *
Nice tight gain ... sounds awesome. Just dont like that blues clip ... heh

Agree, the blues one was terrible, but it said the gain was at 1 o'clock. I bet if you set it to like, 11 or 9 it would sound great.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Terry
Aug 1 2007, 12:14 PM
go to guitarworld.com they reviewed this amp and gave their platinum award [their highest award] go to their gear section to read the review.

--------------------
guitars- dean razorback shards with emg pickups, ibanez xiphos with emg pickups, ibanez rg42 neckthrough with emg's, schecter she-devil with seymour duncan's, usa jackson soloist neckthrough with emg's, all are active pickups

amps- mesa boogie triple recto 150w tube head with mesa 4x12 cab (celestion speakers), vox ad30vt combo

effects- bbe sonic maximizer

strings- ghs 10-52 picks-dunlop 1mm

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 1 2007, 01:52 PM
Instructor
Thanks for that link! Now i think i found an amp for me! smile.gif Not too expensive (in fact - very good price) and i like how it sounds!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Otto
Aug 1 2007, 02:49 PM
120W tube amp ???

Pavel you going on a tour soon?
That thing seem to blast anything down blink.gif

Our dear friend Yngwie uses 50w tube amps but a bunch of them and they sound alot smile.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 1 2007, 02:55 PM
IM actually considering buying this now, i need a new amp, and i was supposed to go shopping today, looks like i just have to wait till i got teh cash!

Im all giddy now. smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:40 PM