3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Ibanez Thermion Amp, 120Watts Tube Amp for an awesome price!
fkalich
Aug 1 2007, 05:31 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 1 2007, 10:57 AM) *
ps Might be wrong but I believe that 'in ear' type headphones that you find on personal stereos in Europe are meant to be designed to avoid excessive volumes and sound pressure levels (SPL). I know mine are.

I believe that is correct, standards have been more protective in Europe. I believe that I read this. Although, well I only listen to spanish lessons with my mpeg player, not music. If I listened to music, I would do some research. If I remember, even with the standards, there is a time limit at the high volume that you should not exceed. But i listen to the spanish lesson at low volume, so I don't worry about it.

I don't think it is bad to have gotten a bit off topic. This is important, guitarists should all think about this, and be informed. Talking about a health issue. Amp is great I am sure, that has been decided. You will get what you pay for. I think Ibanez, when it charges, makes a quality product, gives you your money's worth, if that is the item that you are interested in. It will be worth whatever they charge I am sure, and if it is a high end product as I expect, they have a reputation to protect at the high end. Fairly predictable. Don't get we wrong. Real men play les pauls.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rob_g
Aug 1 2007, 05:43 PM
about the test it didn't really change the tone and my tubes didn't get any brighter. and this is a 100w amp.

Perhaps mike is right, and maybe you should consider a smaller one.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 1 2007, 05:46 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I'm pretty sure you are right about the time limit suggestion fkalich. One stupid thing - some people try to bypass the o/s on their personal stereo's to remove the volume restrictor.

Interesting that some manufacturers now fit dual tri- and pentode modes as standard so you can throttle back the output. Also THD amps include attenuators.

Side note and tongue firmly in cheek - living in Spain I sometimes feel like I should wear ear defenders out in the street - it gets loud at times rolleyes.gif . We've just finished a 5 day fiesta (fiesta sored of paused each morning at 4a.m. to draw breath before kicking in to gear again at 9p.m.) Best advice I have for anyone wanting to talk Spanish - whatever you say say it with conviction.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 1 2007, 05:53 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Rob_g @ Aug 1 2007, 06:43 PM) *
about the test it didn't really change the tone and my tubes didn't get any brighter. and this is a 100w amp.

Perhaps mike is right, and maybe you should consider a smaller one.

The problem is that you need to get a full scale signal from the guitar, into the pre amp and further on into the power amp. If you somewhere along the way scale down the signal, either before the amp or in the loop that's where it fails.
With a attenuator (difficult to spell lol) you let the amp work on its full load and only after it leaves the amp you care to bring it down. So you get the cranked tube amp sound as loud as you choose.

And there are more ways to scale the power but I'm really not familiar with any of this.

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Aug 1 2007, 09:37 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 1 2007, 02:47 PM) *
120W is fine - only thing you might want is a powersoak/attenuator for home use so that you can still push it up into full saturated od at a comfortable volume in your office/bedroom. Without the powersoak use ear defenders and let your neighbours hear the full glory of your guitar Pavel biggrin.gif . (I once had a complaint from a neighbour who lived 12 houses down the block.)

I have a neighbor that gets around the hearing damage by leaving the amp in the house and running a cable out to the back yard to play from.

I generally don't mind since he's kind enough not to do it when I'm trying to sleep.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 1 2007, 09:43 PM
Instructor
Playing from backyard - hmmm not a bad idea at all!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Aug 1 2007, 09:48 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 1 2007, 03:20 PM) *
You can't really bring a 120W amp to a studio, you'd have to play so low the tubes will not act their best.
Bring a 1W and have them mike it up.
For a small pub, bring a 20-30W amp.
For a large concert you could bring a 1W and have it miked up (how should the people in the back row hear a 120W on stage?) You'd have to spread the sound in all directions anyway for everyone to hear.

I was reading something about this recently. About a lot of bands doing that...getting good 30-50w amps and miking them up for the sound since you can play with the volume in mixing anyway. I've seen a few interviews with Angus where he says they never crank it all the way up..

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Aug 1 2007, 10:04 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 1 2007, 08:43 PM) *
Playing from backyard - hmmm not a bad idea at all!! biggrin.gif

Yah. Sounds ghetto like I'd do it. If I had the money to spend on gear that he did, I'd drop a couple hundred on an attenuator and not worry about the volume.

I have a little 1x12 Peavey Transformer....it has a master volume that's independent of the amp power so I can get some of that extra push without making it painful. It's a solid state modeling amp so it's not the same as cranking a tube amp and soaking it up with an attenuator, but it's alright.

Actually, when I practice, most of the time I'm unplugged anyway.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 2 2007, 12:02 AM
It's what I used to do Scott (hence my slightly flipant comment about neighbours down the block complaining).

Nowadays a powersoak/attenuator is best IMO - you can crank the valves without high volumes and without seriously annoying the neighbours/cat or long term risk to your hearing.

The attenuator sits between the amps out and the speakers and acts as extra load. Amp can go full on but a lot of that power is soaked up by the attenuator leaving a smaller amount to run the speaker (sort of - bit simplified but not sure how else to explain it better). A few hundred dollars for a good attenuator is money well spent if you're paying 1000 or so for an amp.

Hell it's money well spent whatever the valve amp costs to save your hearing.

One thing - attenuators ONLY work with valve amps as far as I know. Please don't try with transistor or modelling amps - waste of your money.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 2 2007, 12:04 AM
Instructor
Oh, so if i go for full tube amp - especially 100+Watts - this device is very useful for playing at home, right? Great! I'll sure consider this when buying an amp!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 2 2007, 12:10 AM
Absolutely Pavel - just make sure that they give you an attenuator that matches your speaker out/in resistance/load (ie if the head and cab are rated 8 ohm then you need the same attenuator).

Best brands I know of are THD and Marshall - there are others but I haven't ever used them.

One minor bit you might need to increase the treble a bit on your normal amp setting as attenuators tend to reduce it a bit.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:26 AM