How Does One Make Music One's "sport", Making music a life-long passion
Rain
Oct 29 2008, 02:14 AM
GMC:er

I have always wanted music to be apart of my life. I bought a guitar and am learning how to become a better guitarist, but I still feel as if it's just some hobby that I partake of every once and awhile. I know I only started last January, but I am ready to expand my horizons. I really want there to be a focus. I have the drive and the desire to learn - just really lack focus. How can I make guitar (and music) a more outstanding part of my life?

This is highly open-ended so feel free to roll around with this topic smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Galneryus [SYU / YUUTO-LEDA] - the GazettE - Sonic Syndicate - Versailles - Sadie - Takayoshi Ohmura - Steve Vai - MintJam - Sex Machineguns - Gentaro Satomura - CYCLE - Paul Gilbert - X Japan - Disturbed
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 29 2008, 02:40 AM
Instructor
I've been pro musician for more than 10 so far,
I will tell you what happened with me,and how.

Actually,there isn't much to say or explain.
Only thing I do know is that I wasn't thinking a lot,
I was playing as much as I could cause I really enjoyed
every second spent with my guitar.
It's more than just love,it's rather obsession and you can't resist,
to be honest,you're not trying at all.
So,you shouldn't let in more into your life,
it has to enter by itself. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
skennington
Oct 29 2008, 03:56 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Totally agree with Muris. It must be a passion to play and not a hobby. I have really limited time to practice but I think about playing all day and when I finally get my guitar in my hands, It's more of a relief then anything. smile.gif

Sports, the same way, must be a passion.. smile.gif All pro athletes live and breath their respective sport and this is what it will take to get you where you want to be as a guitarist. Just keep digging and as you see the progress, it will get you more exited about playing and practicing.

+Quote Post
wrk
Oct 29 2008, 08:08 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
It's an interesting question to think about. Everybody ticks differently, some needs to plan over years in front others just up to the next day. To plan to make music a "life-long" passion sound to me a bit strict and would kill direct every motivation for me smile.gif

Music or playing guitar as a hobby can go in so many directions. Maybe your goal is to be able to play together with friends, have fun by doing it and take motivation from there to progress. Maybe the lessons here at GMC inspire you to practice. You will feel naturally how much time you want to spend with your guitar as you progress.

One thing you should avoid is to be frustrated at some point. This is normal, but it is often a reason as well that playing guitar is slipping out of your life. The good thing is that there are so many sources available now. If you feel you don't progress, try something else for a while ... another technic or style.

Be careful ... maybe soon you will feel that you have to constantly limit your desire to play guitar. An annoying but more than acceptable site-effect laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 29 2008, 09:56 AM
Instructor
It is normal to lack focus, because you started only last January. You aren't aware of the possibilities, and haven't had enough experience yet to really imagine yourself being a pro musician. My advice to you is keep playing and enjoy your music, don't think about how and when you're gonna become pro. Life is strange and you never know why, how, and when things will happen, but they do happen eventually for the firm believers in what they do. So keep practicing, and gradually the chain of events will take place that will make you cross the border from amateur to professional musician, and you will be aware of it after some time.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Oct 29 2008, 01:57 PM
Set a goal, practice hard, then practice even harder, learn some theory, make your metronome your best friend (this sounds unimportant but it's one of the most important aspects of guitar playing: rhythm & timing!), jam with others, learn records by ear, learn to record. All of those items can easily take up all your time in an enjoyable fashion. It will teach you discipline, dedication, and tenacity. All things you will need if you wish to be a sucessful musician.

Also there will be times when you think you're the worst guitarist on the planet, this is natural. What I do when that happens (and it does happen but, not as frequently as in the beginning) do something COMPLETELY different. Instead of working on solos work on rhythm, instead of playing metal play funk, instead of trying to learn that one song - totally forget about it - go back to it later...It will be easier than you remember!

Just my 2 cents...

+Quote Post
Noangels
Oct 29 2008, 03:18 PM
Once you are able to start talking freely with your guitar,stop copying other musicians and find your own style and voice.
Then you will stand out amongst the copy cats.Tab out a new lick or riff a day and over the years you will have your own salvo of licks to blow people away with!And if you realy want to make it more fun,join a band-Nothing can compare with that and it will keep you on your toes writing new songs and coming up with interesting and varied lead lines of those tracks-If you stay at home playing,that might be your only venue you will ever do-so get out there and join or start a band biggrin.gif

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Oct 29 2008, 03:28 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Well if someone has a real passion to the guitar, than he doesn't have to "do" anything in order to make it a big part of his life. The only thing he need to do is to give himself enough time to play it i.e. don't find to many other time consuming activities. If someone has no urge to play the guitar all day long, than I don't think he can do something about it. If You force Yourself to play more than You like, it won't be a good thing, as instead of happiness it will bring frustration. That is my view on it anyway.

Of course there are some people that for example had/have depression ( like me ) and it is very hard for them to find to much heart to do anything, guitar included, but I don't know what I can recommend in such circumstances. Best bet is to go to a psychologist, and start working on your own mind..Yet I still didn't give it a go..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 29 2008, 04:19 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I'd suggest reserving some fixed part of the day for practice, no matter if that day you feel like playing or not, just try to be disciplined and practice, jam, learn new songs, record... whatever!

Things that are worth it take a lot of effort, and guitar sure is worth it. Find motivation through GMC lessons and exercises, jamming to backing tracks, record your own stuff, and learn songs from bands you like. Read some of Andrew's theory lessons when you need to expand your horizons.

Just keep at it, and it will pay off smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Oct 30 2008, 02:15 AM
Instructor
I think Muris hit the nail on the head, its the same for me, its obsession really. I can't walk into a room and see a guitar without having the urge to pick it up and play it. Listening to myself play is like comfort food for my soul.

No matter what the day throws at me my old friend is there on the stand ready to take away all the frustrations of the day.

Listening to music has the same effect on me as well, i may hear a couple of tunes, and i feel compelled to pick up the guitar and write something. I can't explain it anymore than that. I can't imagine my life without guitar in it. Its actually depressing me thinking about that prospect lol.

Daniel

This post has been edited by Daniel Robinson: Oct 30 2008, 02:16 AM

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 30 2008, 12:38 PM
Instructor
I know what you mean Daniel, it's depressing for me as well not to be able to play, and do feel sad and depressed without guitar and music sad.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Oct 30 2008, 09:00 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Muris hit it. I look at my guitar and want to play it. I listen to myself in my head playing it. I create tunes in my head when Im not playing it.

IF it becomes a chore then you should just get rid of it.

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
berko
Oct 30 2008, 09:09 PM
I can agree with that. To much thinking on what will come next. If you stick with guitar and play devotedly, circumstances will simply surrender and will let you into business as a professional... wink.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Gus
Oct 30 2008, 10:20 PM
I think both Muris and wrk are right.

As wrk was saying, one thing you should aim is not getting bored with guitar. If you go into a hard guitar practice routine for six months but then you get bored and stop it doesn't worth.

I quit guitar several times in my life because I was bored, and I completely regret that. Nowadays I just keep myself trying to balance between "boring" exercises and funny stuff. It really feels like obsession as Muris said.

This post has been edited by Gus: Oct 30 2008, 10:24 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Rain
Nov 9 2008, 03:42 PM
Ahh - so much inspiration from such awesome guitarists cool.gif

I think the thing for me is that I just need some sort of set-schedule; I'm structured like that. I'll definitely place a set-time each day aside for guitar and make it more formal.

I do understand the "well...if you are having to make yourself do it - then you probably don't want to" but really, it's just that I only have bass/treble on my amp and my wammy bar stripped and fell out (dunno how) so all of the sounds are kind of the same... not much 'experimentation' to be had other than trying to find some new licks and such to play. Yes, new licks are great and wonderful - but the same "ting ting ting" sound - no matter what guitar you are playing, over a long period of time, can be kind of uninspiring.

Another thing - I went to the guitar store and sat down and played a Tube amp for the first time awhile back and the just 4 notes that I played, my heart melted! I was able to try out distortion for the first time as well.... it was incredible! laugh.gif I suppose the point is, I love the instrument - I love the "work hard and it will pay off" mentality - I just need some structure... without the continuous structure it will be hard to pick the thing up everyday and not think "okay, when I get a better guitar/amp - it will sound like this...."

Can't wait to get all the bells and whistles I suppose. biggrin.gif

Fender Stratocaster / SP*10 amp

--------------------
Galneryus [SYU / YUUTO-LEDA] - the GazettE - Sonic Syndicate - Versailles - Sadie - Takayoshi Ohmura - Steve Vai - MintJam - Sex Machineguns - Gentaro Satomura - CYCLE - Paul Gilbert - X Japan - Disturbed

+Quote Post
MW1234
Nov 9 2008, 04:52 PM
"Familiarity breeds contempt". Try and keep it fresh rather than falling into the habit of just messing around with the same old licks. The times that I enjoy myself most whilst playing guitar is whilst learning/playing something new. If it becomes a chore, try playing less, so when you do play, you appreciate it more. In the same way that you'd enjoy food more when you're hungry, you may enjoy playing guitar more when you've been deprived of it...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:30 PM