Legato Technique
Shredly
Aug 11 2009, 07:49 AM
GMC:er
Heres the deal. My legato playing is aight with distortion but not nearly as good without. The notes just dont sound sometimes and tapping is almost out of the question for me without a good bit of saturation. What adjustments can be made to my technique cause Id really like to use less gain.

A

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Aug 11 2009, 07:58 AM
Instructor
You need to pluck the string with the left hand, not just to move the finger away from the string. It needs to sound almost like you picked it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 11 2009, 08:25 AM
Lets go fishing!

Yes, I almost use a claw like grip to pull the strings after the "hammer ons". Its good to really accent the pull-offs with a firm "pull" (LOL) laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Dont forget to mute the strings your not playing right your right hand (this is really usefull in sounding professional)

smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Aug 11 2009, 09:33 AM
Instructor
As Emir and Matt already said, you have to pluck the string. With hammer-on you have to hit a string, and with pull-of you need to pull your finger downwards to pluck it, it looks like rowing smile.gif

I made one lesson for left hand legato playing, no right hand involved
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...-only-exercise/
see if it can help you smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 11 2009, 11:13 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
You should start to practice it on clean with a metronome for now on. What sounds good on clean will sound equally if not better with distortion. I think Emir and others are spot on. You need to pull the string "off" with your left hand in a motion like you are plucking that string with that particular finger. You are most likely just lifting up your fingers and motion should be downwards.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Aug 11 2009, 01:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Dejan Farkas @ Aug 11 2009, 09:33 AM) *
As Emir and Matt already said, you have to pluck the string. With hammer-on you have to hit a string, and with pull-of you need to pull your finger downwards to pluck it, it looks like rowing smile.gif

I made one lesson for left hand legato playing, no right hand involved
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...-only-exercise/
see if it can help you smile.gif

I accidentally passed by this very useful thread (to me) and I stole your lesson, if that's OK Dejan ! smile.gif I will definitely need to improve my legato ^^

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Aug 11 2009, 01:19 PM
Instructor
You can't steal the lesson, it's already yours wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 11 2009, 01:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
I re-vamped my legato a year ago. Took me about 1-2 hours of playing and then everything was improved 100% at least. Still not saying it's as good as it gets, but definately better than before, where I was doing somewhat the same as you.

I followed this wonderful guide: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/MA-042-MartinGoulding1.php

Worked wonders for me. You can check that out also, if you want. I believe you will learn a lot if you sit down with that and spend 2-5 minutes per example.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Aug 11 2009, 01:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 11 2009, 01:25 PM) *
I re-vamped my legato a year ago. Took me about 1-2 hours of playing and then everything was improved 100% at least. Still not saying it's as good as it gets, but definately better than before, where I was doing somewhat the same as you.

I followed this wonderful guide: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/MA-042-MartinGoulding1.php

Worked wonders for me. You can check that out also, if you want. I believe you will learn a lot if you sit down with that and spend 2-5 minutes per example.

Yeah, Justin is great. Lots of great stuff on his site. Martin is also an awesome teacher at ICMP.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 11 2009, 01:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Aug 11 2009, 02:31 PM) *
Yeah, Justin is great. Lots of great stuff on his site. Martin is also an awesome teacher at ICMP.

I actually haven't checked the site out too much, to be honest. I think I searched for legato exercises back in the day and came to his site. But from what I've seen, there are some good videos and lessons too.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:24 PM