3nps Box Patterns
DeepRoots
Sep 6 2007, 10:25 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Hey Andrew- it's your biggest theory fan again ! cool.gif

So i've finally learned all the pentatonic postions and labelled them 1, 2 3 etc in my mind.
Stage 2 should have been learning the 3nps major minor patterns- but im waaay to lazy. No matter how much i try to force myself- i dont want to learn it, my brain goes into sleep mode...

However...a breakthrough?

If i were to learn the first 3nps pattern of every mode of - for example C (D dorian, E phrygian etc) - and linked them together this would also be C major all over the fretboard? (ofcourse i would have to pay special attention to where the Cs are in the boxes so that i know where the root note is)

I want to learn it this way- and my (? blink.gif ultimate blink.gif ?) theory knowledge tells me it makes sense but i thought i'd ask you first.

I guess i want to learn it this way because i'm killing two birds with one stone- and as i play each position i'll be thinking of it as a mode- so i'll be more interested in learning it. I tried the way that Pavel shows us in his shred lesson but my mind didn't want to click.

And by the way this is purley for exercise purposes.

EDIT: i meant for the title to read BOX patterns lol sorry
Thanks for your help.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by DeepRoots: Sep 6 2007, 10:26 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 6 2007, 11:48 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Yes, that's theoretically sound, provided you are careful, but you covered all the gotchas!

One additional thing to add for others reading this - Deep Root's strategy will only work for 3nps. If you try and use this with regular Major scale boxes you will get horribly confused. Why? Because we traditionally use 5 boxes for major scales, when in fact there are really 7 (2 of them are really close to other boxes so we tend to ignore them). 3nps (3 Note Per String) scales are looking at the neck as a whole, and don't work so much with boxes, or if you do split them into boxes you would usually use 7 boxes. The result of this is that there are no missing notes to get you out of sync with your modes.

So, yes, learn the root box of (for instance):

C Ionian
D Dorian
E Phrygian
F Lydian
G Mixolydian
A Aeolian
B Locrian

And you have also covered all 7 boxes of a major scale smile.gif Good thinking batman!

Now, a suggestion that might make this easier ...

Whether you perceive a scale as a particular mode or a major scale starting on a different note is all in the mind since the notes are identical. You need to be very conscious of which you are doing at a particular time. So, I suggest you make 2 or more backing tracks as follows:

1. Modal Backing track - pick a key, the right speed, and a number of repetitions, and for each mode, the backing track plays the modes root chord (could be a piano or strings or anything):

C Ionian - C
D Dorian - Dm7
E Phrygian - Em7
F Lydian - F Major 7
G Mixolydian - G7
A Aeolian - Am
B Locrian - Bm7b5 (or B diminished)

2. Major Backing Track - do the same but just play C major all the way through - this trains you to hear the boxes as major.

3. Added Bonus - focus on each mode by putting together a backing track that uses the characteristic chord for that mode, e.g. Am - Aeolian. That of course gives you Major and Minor for free smile.gif Then you can work each mode individually by going through all the boxes - the chord trains your ear to hear the modes correctly.

Go ahead, and let us know how it works out!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Sep 6 2007, 11:58 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Sep 7 2007, 06:23 AM
Get to da Chopper!
Thanks Andrew laugh.gif , that backing track idea sounds pretty great. I'll be trying that out this weekend!

DeepRoots

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:40 AM