I Need Help With Mastering..., What a headache!!
The-Levy
Mar 12 2008, 04:03 AM
GMC:er
Just If I could be pointed in the right direction... what would you recommend for EQ on guitars ritmic and lead, bass and drums. Stereo expansion and panning? I know eq is a matter of personal taste.. i just need to know other's personal taste so I can aquire mine =)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Mar 12 2008, 08:49 AM
Instructor
This what you mentioned doesn't sound as a mastering, more like mixing smile.gif

Check out THIS site wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 12 2008, 03:55 PM
Singing Instructor
Hi there....first you must knowe that mastering means that EQ,limmiters,compresion...etc...is done o the whole thing(finished song)as Dejan sad...Dejan gave you good link...and you can all so try to "EQ tips" on google....
conisidering paning....well if you combine two guitars to get one sound(for example,one with little drive or distorsion,and other with more)one should go right and the other left....what I am doing wright knowe on my album ..I have a part in a song where only vocal and aqustic guitar are left alone,and I put the guitar not far from the vockal(wich is in the middle)...just 10% left from center....so my advice do what you here the best is for you....smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
The-Levy
Mar 12 2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks. That is exactly what I am looking for, just a starting point from someone who's got more experience on mastering. You said you set acsutic guitars 10% away from vocals, is it very well expanded in the stereo field or narrow?
Now how do I define bass and drums? are they not supposed to go on the mid as well? Any help is very appreciated. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 12 2008, 05:03 PM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (The-Levy @ Mar 12 2008, 04:41 PM) *
Thanks. That is exactly what I am looking for, just a starting point from someone who's got more experience on mastering. You said you set acsutic guitars 10% away from vocals, is it very well expanded in the stereo field or narrow?
Now how do I define bass and drums? are they not supposed to go on the mid as well? Any help is very appreciated. laugh.gif

ne it is not...it all depands on the situatio..in this situation...it is very narrow bicouse it is a quiet and come situation in a song...so I did that part very tight so when the song goes to chorus(where guitars are very expanded,and that guitar that was allmoust in the middle is doubled and pnd to the right and left) song gets the biger effect(chorus I mean)...

bass and drumms...Bass is in the middle(always)..and drmms...snare and kick drum are in the middle as well....toms,hi heat,and overheads you can play ...pan as you like or...here some song(famos ones)and here what they did with drumms paning...hope I helpd a little:)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 12 2008, 09:14 PM
Instructor
You need tips about mixing, and like Nemanja said, put kick, snare, and bass in the middle for starters and the rest goes with your imagination. Try not to overdo the panning, sometimes 15-20% is huge, depending of the arrangement, sometimes 100% panned is perfect although I personally don'tlike to hear anything panned 100%. Also with toms and cymbals, put them in stereo from the listeners or the players perspective, depending how the listener is experiencing your mixing. Very important part of your mix is space, and you must watch how much reverb and delay you give to every component and how you EQ your space. It's a trial and error process, with pauses between test listening to give your ears time to rest from work. Golden rule - never give to much space or EQ-ing, do everything in small increments and make backups so you can compare mixes.

This post has been edited by Milenkovic Ivan: Mar 12 2008, 09:17 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 12 2008, 09:49 PM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Mar 12 2008, 09:14 PM) *
. Golden rule - never give to much space or EQ-ing, do everything in small increments and make backups so you can compare mixes.

well sad...
.bicouse this is the thing...all the expensive equipment...expetialy mic's...and good preamps...are expensive bicose of their neutraluty...and they have the ability to capture trouth sound that your voice produce..or what you play on your guitar...so do bit by bit..don't go to much with EQ,and expetaly not with compressors.....smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 13 2008, 09:37 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Just on mastering.

What can help is to really analyse a couple of tracks that you like the sound of in the particular style or genre that you want to master. Consider how the overall sound is achieved, tonal balance, instrument and vocal placement, use of reverb, compression and so on. Then critically look at your mix and try to work out what you need to do to achieve the same overall sound.

With mixing - good advice from Ivan, less is usually more. Also pay attention to your levels as too often a mix, either individual parts or summed will be gained too much and so limit what may be achieved at mastering or necessitate action. Time spent getting the recording right - ie correct mic placement etc - is much better then trying to correct issues at mixing or mastering.

With regard to the stereo field - good advice so far and you also may need to consider the panning laws wrt achieving a balanced level.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 13 2008, 02:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Mar 13 2008, 09:37 AM) *
Time spent getting the recording right - ie correct mic placement etc - is much better then trying to correct issues at mixing or mastering.

Wise words, and may I add a little joke that this reminded me of cool.gif

What are the 3 biggest Studio Lies:

1. "This was great, let's do another take"
2. "Fellas, we have a hit song"
3. "We'll fix it in the mix"

wink.gif

This post has been edited by Milenkovic Ivan: Mar 13 2008, 02:25 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 13 2008, 06:42 PM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Mar 13 2008, 02:25 PM) *
2. "Fellas, we have a hit song"

this one is my favorite..... laugh.gif
truth is every time some one say that...that song crash and don't do nothing...smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
The-Levy
Mar 18 2008, 10:07 PM
Awesome. Thanks for all your input in this.

This post has been edited by The-Levy: Mar 18 2008, 10:07 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 19 2008, 01:36 AM
Instructor
No problem man, glad to help. If you need anything just ask! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:17 AM