Premiere Pro For Video Editing
Todd Simpson
Nov 8 2014, 05:11 AM
GMC:er
I've been using FINAL CUT X for a while and I"ve never liked it. Finally I tried Adobe Premiere and WOW. It's killer. It reminds me a lot of how Final Cut used to work and how AVID works now. The interface behaves as you would expect. It's a very pro non linear editor and it's fast. Real time previews on everything without rendering.

Anyone else using Premiere? I know lots of folks really struggle with terrible programs like Microsofts "Movie Maker" which is a bit crap.

I"m using PREMIERE PRO CS5 which is the version before PRO CC (cloud). The way it works now is by subscription. You pay them by the month ($20 per month to use premiere) and don't have to spend $600 or whatever premiere used to cost. I'm glad to have the old version though to avoid the monthly charge, but the full suite was not cheap when I got it. It's actually much cheaper to go monthly.

Anyhoo, how about you guys?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SixStringSamurai
Nov 8 2014, 07:42 PM
Todd, what didn't you like about FCPX? My video editing experience is really only limited to FCPX so I don't know what I'm missing or not missing, haha.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 8 2014, 08:48 PM
FCPX isn't a real NLE. sadly. It's often called "iMovie Pro" and for good reason. It's got nearly the same interface and no traditional "timeline" also, it doesn't follow the standard non-linear editor visual conventions as it's, again, not really a non-linear editor. It's a "movie maker" designed for folks who have not been trained/experienced as editors.

So when someone with NLE experience sits down, the interface is just alien. I've worked with it since it came out and finally I have to say, I"m calling it. It's fine for what it is. It's just no longer a pro bit of kit (last good version was FCP 7 IMHO. sad.gif ) AVID and PREMIERE both work as an editor would expect. So it's no surprise that many editors have ditched FCPX in favor of them.

But it's a big world so there's room for FCPX smile.gif Just not in my rig.

QUOTE (SixStringSamurai @ Nov 8 2014, 02:42 PM) *
Todd, what didn't you like about FCPX? My video editing experience is really only limited to FCPX so I don't know what I'm missing or not missing, haha.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 8 2014, 08:49 PM

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Nov 9 2014, 05:39 AM
Learning Rock Star
I use premiere pro - no complaints here smile.gif there is a learning curve, but it's certainly a very excellent solution

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 9 2014, 08:18 AM
It was pretty easy for me to pick up as it's a standard non linear editing interface. If you have used AVID or FINAL CUT 7, it's a quick jump to premiere thankfully smile.gif For folks with little or no editing experience, it would probably be a bit more of a curve though.

Gotta say I wish I'd have switched a while back. Been trying to get used to fcpx for a while now. I have heard that folks that start with fcpx take to it very quickly, but the bad news is that it's a closed system that works like no other editor so the skills using it don't transfer very well to other packages.

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Nov 9 2014, 12:39 AM) *
I use premiere pro - no complaints here smile.gif there is a learning curve, but it's certainly a very excellent solution

+Quote Post
SixStringSamurai
Nov 9 2014, 11:07 PM
Can someone enlighten me as to what a "non-linear editor" is?

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 10 2014, 07:28 AM
Apologies sad.gif That would be my bad for spouting lingo.

Non-Linear Editor just means its a system that doesn't have to edit in "linear sequence". Way back when, editing systems were "tape based", yes video tape!! Nowadays, editing systems are based on Hard drives, etc. So the assets can be accessed in a "non linear" fashion. Eg. You don't have to rewind a video tape to a certain spot to find a certain shot.

The "standard" non-linear editing system interface elements such as a timeline, preview and program windows (for viewing clip and timeline separately) etc. are what Apple abandoned when they wanted a more "non editor" friendly package. Evidently FCP 7 was just too complicated for most folks to deal with. sad.gif So they created a new interface based on imovie that, according to testing, was more intuitive for new users.

The only problem is that learning a closed system like fcpx doesn't allow translatable skills to be formed so when attempting to lean a standard interface, your starting from scratch. I worked in a university for some time and we used FCP since version 1. We even adopted FCPX when it came out. I think they may still be using it. But PRemiere now looks like FCP used to, which is to say it has the standard interface elements that an editor would expect. So learning it, makes your skills "transferable" to other standard systems.

But like I always say, it takes all kinds. smile.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-linear_editing_system

QUOTE (SixStringSamurai @ Nov 9 2014, 06:07 PM) *
Can someone enlighten me as to what a "non-linear editor" is?

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Nov 10 2014, 08:03 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 9 2014, 12:18 AM) *
It was pretty easy for me to pick up as it's a standard non linear editing interface. If you have used AVID or FINAL CUT 7, it's a quick jump to premiere thankfully smile.gif For folks with little or no editing experience, it would probably be a bit more of a curve though.

Gotta say I wish I'd have switched a while back. Been trying to get used to fcpx for a while now. I have heard that folks that start with fcpx take to it very quickly, but the bad news is that it's a closed system that works like no other editor so the skills using it don't transfer very well to other packages.

It is such a popular app (Adobe owns several markets, no?) that there are tons of resources out there for learning. I posted a video in one of my previous posts that went over using Premiere to combine multiple camera shots into a single movie ~ I learned more from that video than from alot of the tutorials on Adobe's site - it shows workflow, and some great ways to handle editing, plus some great 3rd party plugins.

here's that link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMuEEvLdoho

This post has been edited by SirJamsalot: Nov 10 2014, 08:04 AM

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 10 2014, 03:30 PM
Instructor
I've been using Premiere in the last 12 years. I've learnt it at the University so I had to learn to use it perfectly, and I have to say that it has evolved great. In the old days it was a bit heavy for my computers, compared with Vegas that seemed to be a very "small", "fast working" program. But the last versions are fantastic in many aspects so if you ask me, my answer is, if you can pay it, go for it, it's the best option at least for PC.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 10 2014, 07:20 PM
I'd say it's the best option now even for Mac folks smile.gif Now that Final Cut Pro is sorta iMovie Pro sad.gif But everyone has their own favorites so there are plenty of options to go around.

For folks new to editing, FCPX seems like a great choice if you are on a mac. But for folks with experience using NLE (non linear editing) systems, Premiere is a great option. Also, the way that it ingegrates with ALL of the other adobe products is just killer.

AVID is still the choice of many news organizations and feature film folks, but it's got it's limitations as well in that it's hard to "round trip" or take your footage out to another program and back in for say special fx.

With premiere, you can use adobe after effects, photoshop, etc . and all of your files are compatible and everything just works.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 10 2014, 10:30 AM) *
I've been using Premiere in the last 12 years. I've learnt it at the University so I had to learn to use it perfectly, and I have to say that it has evolved great. In the old days it was a bit heavy for my computers, compared with Vegas that seemed to be a very "small", "fast working" program. But the last versions are fantastic in many aspects so if you ask me, my answer is, if you can pay it, go for it, it's the best option at least for PC.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:48 PM