Floyd Rose, plz respond quickly
beebo
Apr 5 2007, 11:22 PM
GMC:er
Hello everyone I got my new guitar once again or traded it in. p.s.( I'm no where rich so don't think that)
I put my new strings on and now I can't even play past about the 8th fret because the strings are to low to the neck. That is because of the floyd rose or whammy bar(whatever u wanna call it) is to low and I need help raising it. Any help. plz respond quickly! sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
moles
Apr 5 2007, 11:37 PM
so the guitar came with strings and you took them off and put new ones on?

you have to remember with floyd roses, the string tension must be equal to the spring tension.

is the bridge parallel to the body?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Scoob
Apr 6 2007, 12:53 AM
QUOTE (beebo @ Apr 5 2007, 06:22 PM) *
Hello everyone I got my new guitar once again or traded it in. p.s.( I'm no where rich so don't think that)
I put my new strings on and now I can't even play past about the 8th fret because the strings are to low to the neck. That is because of the floyd rose or whammy bar(whatever u wanna call it) is to low and I need help raising it. Any help. plz respond quickly! sad.gif

I had a similar issue. Only in the opposite direction. I went from 9 - 46 strings to 10 - 52's and the bridge raised up while tuning more so for the top 2 strings. I had to add springs to pull in back down. You may need to either remove springs or back off the holding screws that hold the spring mount. (Be careful to not over do it on the screws)

This was something I did not take in to account when changing string gauge. IF you can get away with spring changes, it is best to reduce the work when going back to the original gauge
Cheers

Scoob

--------------------
GEAR
guitars: Yamaha SE 350, Yamaha FG-360, Jay Turser JT134 Natural Quilt Top, Dean Vendetta, Squire Telecaster (Project to modify to better guitar. New Pickups and electrical parts done).
amp: Peavey Rage 108
amp Marshall ATV20X - Just bought Mar. 2007
effects: KORG AX3G (Multi), EBOW, Danelectro Free Speech Talkbox. Old Flanger and Chorus
Interface: IK Multimedia STEALTH PLUG

+Quote Post
chainsbroken
Apr 6 2007, 02:19 AM
This site helped me alot in restringing and setting up my Floyd ROSE..
http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html

--------------------
Deano

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 6 2007, 10:08 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Did you put thinner strings on so that the FR lowered itself backwards so to say?
If you did you'll have to untighten the tension screws inside and finaly when you get it in tune the FR should be in level with the body. Either that - to have it in level - or have two notches aligned with the body. It's different on different models.

+Quote Post
moles
Apr 6 2007, 01:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1c-7-VMY_w

found this for you beebo smile.gif
my brother watched it and sorted out his floyd rose

good luck

+Quote Post
beebo
Apr 6 2007, 10:15 PM
QUOTE (chainsbroken @ Apr 5 2007, 05:19 PM) *
This site helped me alot in restringing and setting up my Floyd ROSE..
http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html

I don't undersand any of the inscrutions sad.gif

QUOTE (moles @ Apr 6 2007, 04:02 AM) *
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1c-7-VMY_w

found this for you beebo smile.gif
my brother watched it and sorted out his floyd rose

good luck

Wow that's probably the best help I've had since I can actually see it.
But sadly I have a different setup by a little bit and can't adjust the springs that way.
Even worse I can't figure out how ot adjust the springs and have the tension and spring setup
equal to each other sad.gif sad.gif
But thanks though!

+Quote Post
wheeler
Apr 6 2007, 10:18 PM
Beebo - best bet....check out a local guitar shop and ask the tech how much $ for him to set it up for you....if you don't know what you're doing, you could screw up your new guitar....not trying to scare you, but a setup is usually relatively inexpensive and could save you a lot of hassle. It's worth checking out, at least.

This post has been edited by wheeler: Apr 6 2007, 10:18 PM

+Quote Post
beebo
Apr 6 2007, 10:19 PM
QUOTE (wheeler @ Apr 6 2007, 01:18 PM) *
Beebo - best bet....check out a local guitar shop and ask the tech how much $ for him to set it up for you....if you don't know what you're doing, you could screw up your new guitar....not trying to scare you, but a setup is usually relatively inexpensive and could save you a lot of hassle. It's worth checking out, at least.

How much do you think it would cost Wheeler?

+Quote Post
wheeler
Apr 6 2007, 10:22 PM
QUOTE (beebo @ Apr 6 2007, 04:19 PM) *
How much do you think it would cost Wheeler?

I just got my Parker Fly set up a couple weeks ago for about $20, and it also has a pain-in-the-ass tremelo system on it.

+Quote Post
beebo
Apr 6 2007, 10:24 PM
QUOTE (wheeler @ Apr 6 2007, 01:22 PM) *
I just got my Parker Fly set up a couple weeks ago for about $20, and it also has a pain-in-the-ass tremelo system on it.

Wait blink.gif so does your guitar work better or worse now?

+Quote Post
wheeler
Apr 6 2007, 10:26 PM
QUOTE (beebo @ Apr 6 2007, 04:24 PM) *
Wait blink.gif so does your guitar work better or worse now?

MUCH better. I just meant that the Floyd Rose is a complicated tremelo, and my guitar has a different but also fairly complicated tremelo, so the cost for your setup shouldn't be much more than mine...unless my tech guy is cheap....not sure, never gone to anyone else for a setup.

+Quote Post
beebo
Apr 6 2007, 10:29 PM
What if my floyd rose is a little different from yours? Will that change the pric

+Quote Post
wheeler
Apr 6 2007, 10:36 PM
QUOTE (beebo @ Apr 6 2007, 04:29 PM) *
What if my floyd rose is a little different from yours? Will that change the pric

The price will probably be different anyways, just because it'll be a different shop doing it for you...it's like taking your car to a different mechanic or something. Could cost more, could cost less. But Floyd Rose tremelos are very widely used, so anybody claiming to be a guitar tech and taking money to fix a guitar should be pretty familiar with it and be able to work on it easily. I don't think it should cost you much more than what it cost me, might even cost less. And they should be able to do it pretty quickly.

+Quote Post
beebo
Apr 6 2007, 11:15 PM
QUOTE (wheeler @ Apr 6 2007, 01:36 PM) *
The price will probably be different anyways, just because it'll be a different shop doing it for you...it's like taking your car to a different mechanic or something. Could cost more, could cost less. But Floyd Rose tremelos are very widely used, so anybody claiming to be a guitar tech and taking money to fix a guitar should be pretty familiar with it and be able to work on it easily. I don't think it should cost you much more than what it cost me, might even cost less. And they should be able to do it pretty quickly.

Gotcha biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 6 2007, 11:50 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Try taking the guitar to the store and ask them what went wrong after you changed the strings. They might just throw you a freebie. I mean, if I sold a guitar to a kid I'd feel responsible for that it works.

+Quote Post
beebo
Apr 7 2007, 12:23 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Apr 6 2007, 02:50 PM) *
Try taking the guitar to the store and ask them what went wrong after you changed the strings. They might just throw you a freebie. I mean, if I sold a guitar to a kid I'd feel responsible for that it works.

Yea I am only 14 so they should but you know how people are these days. As long as they get there money it's all that counts. Well, most people these days. dry.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:34 PM