Thin Lizzy
Mike Seddon
May 9 2008, 10:22 PM
GMC:er
I went to see Limehouse Lizzy recently and they were awesome.

I didn't think I'd like tribute band but I was wrong.

Since then my own band has tried to add a few Lizzy tracks.

Anyone know how to get that Lizzy sound?

I've tried tweaking my zoom505 (don;t laugh please. I;ve had it years and it's ok for what it does) but I just can't get their sound out of my guitar.

I'm thinking of a Boss GT8 next. Maybe I can program that to get their unique sound

Cheers
mike

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mike Seddon: May 9 2008, 10:23 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
MickeM
May 9 2008, 10:49 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
If the zoom 505II is all you got I think you can forget about it... blink.gif

In gerenal terms, find a Marshall with a vintage sound and a Gibson LP. Gain at noon and full on the volume. Viola! wink.gif

EDIT: Or key in the Boss GT on those terms

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MickeM: May 9 2008, 10:50 PM

+Quote Post
Mike Seddon
May 9 2008, 11:32 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ May 9 2008, 10:49 PM) *
If the zoom 505II is all you got I think you can forget about it... blink.gif

In gerenal terms, find a Marshall with a vintage sound and a Gibson LP. Gain at noon and full on the volume. Viola! wink.gif

EDIT: Or key in the Boss GT on those terms

Thanks for the advice. I knew the Zoom would never do it but its not a bad pedal for the bedroom player when you consider how cheap it is.

I think the Boss GT8 just got a bit closer to being bought!

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 9 2008, 11:50 PM
QUOTE (Mike Seddon @ May 9 2008, 04:22 PM) *
I went to see Limehouse Lizzy recently and they were awesome.

I didn't think I'd like tribute band but I was wrong.

Since then my own band has tried to add a few Lizzy tracks.

Anyone know how to get that Lizzy sound?

I've tried tweaking my zoom505 (don;t laugh please. I;ve had it years and it's ok for what it does) but I just can't get their sound out of my guitar.

I'm thinking of a Boss GT8 next. Maybe I can program that to get their unique sound

Cheers
mike

you hear musicians talk about this band, how they were very influential. I knew they had a few hits, but was not aware they they were influential like that.

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
May 10 2008, 12:12 AM
Singing Instructor
Great band.
there version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TehFZ38kt6o

and metallica version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh1J4rTgVgE...feature=related

smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
May 10 2008, 12:24 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (fkalich @ May 9 2008, 11:50 PM) *
you hear musicians talk about this band, how they were very influential. I knew they had a few hits, but was not aware they they were influential like that.

Wow really!? They where huge, pioneers of the twin guitar solos etc

Still tour to date with john Sykes, Scott Gorham and tommy Aldridge, john Sykes does the vocals for the late Phil Lynott

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
rokchik
May 10 2008, 01:09 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Nemanja Filipovic @ May 9 2008, 08:12 PM) *

And then the best version wink.gif smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46EXY4oP1Do...feature=related

Thin Lizzy do a fine job but the Dubliners own that song imo. I'm not a huge Lizzy fan, but I do enjoy stuff like "Jailbreak" and "The Boys are back in Town".

+Quote Post
JVM
May 10 2008, 02:36 AM
Learning Roadie
Thin lizzy is one of my favorite bands. I've been told my riffing style is reminiscent of them, I guess they're a big influence on me biggrin.gif

In order to get that sound, the best way to go sadly is a cranked tube amp like a marshall as micke says, or a mesa ( wink.gif ) like I've got works great.. in general the riffing tone of any lizzy song is usually fairly dry just overdriven to that proto-metal sound that is so great. Of course, one huge aspect of lizzy's sound is phil's bass playing which drives most of the songs I think.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
May 10 2008, 02:40 AM
Instructor
Thin Lizzy RULES!!!!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 10 2008, 10:04 AM
Instructor
i htink you need after all that a preamp tube or some tube amp

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
May 10 2008, 11:31 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
For sure one of the greatest bands of all times!!!

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 10 2008, 11:33 AM
I love Thin Lizzy and we do a cover of Jailbreak and we will add Thunder and Lightning also. But when your band cover it then do it in your style. Unless you are being a Thin Lizzy tribute band people prefer to hear it in the style of the band. We metal our version up a bit and add solos that aren't in recorded version. Just have fun with them. People just want to see you having fun playing the songs and they will take from this positive energy.

QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ May 10 2008, 11:31 AM) *
For sure one of the greatest bands of all times!!!

Hell yeah smile.gif The solo in Cold Sweat is crazy also biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:41 PM