Chords In A Song?
guitargod
Apr 14 2007, 08:18 AM
GMC:er
i heard that the formulae to find out the chords for a song is first finding out what scale the song is in , then for the chords in the scale, appply the formulae: major,minor,minor,major,major,minor,diminish,major... but what exactly is diminished? can someone further elaborate on this?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
live everyday of your life like its your last n treasure everything and everyone around you to the fullest!!!
max life!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 14 2007, 10:40 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (guitargod @ Apr 14 2007, 08:18 AM) *
i heard that the formulae to find out the chords for a song is first finding out what scale the song is in , then for the chords in the scale, appply the formulae: major,minor,minor,major,major,minor,diminish,major... but what exactly is diminished? can someone further elaborate on this?

i'll handle this one. anyone feel free to correct me if I am being a moron. happens sometimes.

first of all, that formula would only apply to a major scale.
For example, C Major. That formula would give you for the first 6, CMaj, Dmin, Emin, FMaj, GMaj, Amin.
That makes sense, right? The last one would be Bdim. Just to make sure I am not leading you astray, lets pull up good old wikipedia. It states there....

"Generally, in music, a diminished chord is a chord which has a diminished fifth in it. More specifically, it is a three-note chord (a diminished triad) consisting of a minor third and diminished fifth above the root — if built on C, a diminished chord would have a C, an E♭ and a G♭. The interval between the upper two notes is also a minor third — thus, the chord consists of two minor thirds stacked on top of one another. It resembles a minor triad with a lowered (or diminished) fifth."

Ok according to that definition we would have

B (root)
D (minor 3rd above root)
F (diminished 5th above root).

as the Bdim chord.

The 8th item is where the sequence begins to repeat.

and there you go!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 14 2007, 05:29 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (fkalich @ Apr 14 2007, 05:40 AM) *
i'll handle this one. anyone feel free to correct me if I am being a moron. happens sometimes.

first of all, that formula would only apply to a major scale.
For example, C Major. That formula would give you for the first 6, CMaj, Dmin, Emin, FMaj, GMaj, Amin.
That makes sense, right? The last one would be Bdim. Just to make sure I am not leading you astray, lets pull up good old wikipedia. It states there....

"Generally, in music, a diminished chord is a chord which has a diminished fifth in it. More specifically, it is a three-note chord (a diminished triad) consisting of a minor third and diminished fifth above the root — if built on C, a diminished chord would have a C, an E♭ and a G♭. The interval between the upper two notes is also a minor third — thus, the chord consists of two minor thirds stacked on top of one another. It resembles a minor triad with a lowered (or diminished) fifth."

Ok according to that definition we would have

B (root)
D (minor 3rd above root)
F (diminished 5th above root).

as the Bdim chord.

The 8th item is where the sequence begins to repeat.

and there you go!

Good explanation smile.gif I'll be writing a lesson on this soon !

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:16 PM