What Are Dim7 Arpeggios, Learn to Build and Recognize Dim7 Arpeggios
The Professor
Apr 8 2013, 01:41 PM
Theory Instructor
How to Build Dim7 Arpeggios

In today’s theory lesson, we’ll be building on the m7b5 Arpeggios that we previously looked at, and dig into building dim7 Arpeggios, or fully-diminished arpeggios as they are sometimes called.

There are two different ways that you can build these arpeggios, the first being related to the diminished triad. If you need a refresher on these triads, check out the How to Build Diminished Triads lesson for more info.

In the example below, you can see a Diminished Triad, C-Eb-G or 1-b3-b5 intervals, next to a Cdim7 Arpeggios, C-Eb-Gb-Bbb or the intervals 1-b3-b5-bb7.

The bb7, or diminished 7 interval, is a bit of a funny one. Bbb in this case is the same note as A on the fretboard, but written on the staff it looks different due to the fact that it is a 7th in the key and not the 6th, as A would be. More on these intervals in the What Are Diminished Intervals lesson.

Attached Image

The second way that you can build a dim7 arpeggio is taking the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th notes from the Whole-Half Diminished scale.

You can see this technique below, where I took those notes from the C Whole-Half Diminished Scale and used them to build the Cdim7 Arpeggio in the bar next to it.

Attached Image

Test Your Theory Knowledge!

Now that you have learned how to build Dim7 Arpeggios, try writing out a number of them in the comments section below to get some practice with these shapes.

If you write out some, or all, of the different Diminished 7 Arpeggios I’ll be happy to look over your work and make sure you’re on the right track.

Have a question or comment about Dim7 Arpeggios? Post it below.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by The Professor: Apr 8 2013, 01:41 PM

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:51 AM