Gearbox/toneport Plug In, For Reaper
kahall
May 30 2009, 09:16 PM
Learning Roadie
The way I record myself now is as follows.
I fire up GearBox or Tone Port (GuitarPort) and get a tone that sounds ok to me.
Using reaper I insert 2 tracks and then insert media on one track of an MP3 backing track and arm the other track for recording the guitar. Then I just click record and only record my playing on the one track that is armed while the backing track plays on the other track. Then I render it to MP3 and sync up to vid.
It sounds ok other than my actual playing and works well for me at this stage.
I started looking into better ways to do this recently and realized I can purchase ($49) the Tone Port Plug in (GearBox Plug in is no longer available from Line6) and use the Tone Port VST directly in Reaper. (is that correct?)
If I am thinking correctly will the final recording sound better than the way I am doing it now? Or I mean is that what is supposed to happen? I guess I am just trying to justify spending the money on the plug in.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
berko
May 30 2009, 09:24 PM
GMC:er
I don't think it would make any difference. If that plug-in contains the same effects as in the Gearbox effects-chain, then it only means that you can tweak the settings right in your DAW.

BTW, I'm using Logic Pro on my Mac and it automatically recognizes Gearbox as a plug-in. I haven't installed anything special or haven't synchronized the two, still I can open up the Gearbox interface in my DAW. In Reaper it maybe doesn't appear as a VST plug-in but if you look around you could find it there I suppose.

Either way, using Gearbox separately doesn't affect your tone or recording quality IMO.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
kahall
May 30 2009, 09:36 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (berko @ May 30 2009, 03:24 PM) *
[..]

Thanks,
I can open the GearBox plugin in Reaper as well it just does not do anything. Says it needs to be activated.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 31 2009, 01:38 AM
Instructor
Using gearbox (or other line 6 modeler software) within DAW has advantages because you can reamp your guitar track. What this means is that you can record clean guitar, and just use plugin, to model the sound that you want, and later you can put any sound there, and change it to your liking. If you record straight from the interface, there is no possibility to later reamp the sound.
Now you can open the plug in DAW, but you cannot use it of course, not until you pay and activate the copy.
hope this helps mate, cheers, let me know if you need any further assistance.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kahall
May 31 2009, 03:01 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 30 2009, 07:38 PM) *

That clears up all my questions. Thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 31 2009, 04:25 PM
Instructor
np, anytime! smile.gif cheers

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:58 AM