I Think I Started Learning Guitar On The Wrong Foot...
loundzilla
Aug 27 2009, 12:47 PM
GMC:er
I pretty much started playing guitar by finding a song that i really liked then getting the tab for it. I've pretty much only done that since last december.

After readying lots around this awesome website I think i need to have more structure in my "play" time than just getting a random song i like and learning it.

The only problem is, i dont really know what I should be learning first.

Can anyone help with this?

Cheers,

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
When I look in the mirror I see a face-melting guitar shredder.... maybe my mirror tells the future?
Download the GMC Guitar Theory Grimoire Here!

Guitars
Ibanez RGA42 (EMG 81/85 pickups)
Takemine G series electro acoustic

Equipment
Line 6 spider 3 75 amp
Line 6 POD studio UX2
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Aug 27 2009, 01:16 PM
Instructor
There's nothing wrong while learning some songs you like. Some people are doing the opposite, learning random licks, riffs, exercises and so on, and they can't play a whole song from the beginning to the end.
You can do some kind of schedule for your practice. Learn the five pentatonic boxes, start to improvise over some blues backing track using them. Learn also new chords and find new voicings by yourself.
You can incorporate some alternate picking exercise in your routine, there are a lot of lessons here about this topic. Then you can add some advanced stuff like legato, economy, sweep, etc..
Check also Andrew's theory board, you can find a lot info there.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Gus
Aug 27 2009, 01:57 PM
I think should keep some time from your practice to learn songs, since you like that. Let's say 30% of your practice. It's going to help keep you motivated.

I think you can start by working on pentatonic workshop. It will teach about timing and pentatonic scales. Things you do not necessarily understand from learning songs:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ming-exercises/
Check also about muting. This is something easy to miss when learning only from songs:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/misc-less...g-101-tutorial/

And for sure, the theory board

This post has been edited by Gus: Aug 27 2009, 01:57 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Canis
Aug 27 2009, 04:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
There's no such thing as a wrong foot to start on. By realizing something wasn't 100% right, you're only proven that your feet are ready to walk in badass boots on the path of learning tongue.gif

Time to learn some theory. Don't forget about learning the songs you like, though! If you only learn theory, there's a change you get bored and loose that "spark" that keeps you craving more wink.gif

Also, analyse the songs you learn! Look for patterns in the songs to see if you notice any similarities in what makes a good solo, or an epic riff! For example if you find two solos that has this awesome, climactic moment (example: Emir's "Climax in a Solo" lesson), then there's a chance they're doing something similar. If you keep that in the back of your head, the next time you find such a solo (or make your own), you're not taken by such a surprise when you look at the tabs, since you know some basic stuff of what's going on ^^
This doesen't only apply to solos, of course wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 27 2009, 11:43 PM
Instructor
Check out this lesson plan:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=312457

it may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it will give you an idea how to structure your own sessions. Let me know if I can help with it further.

Ivan

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 28 2009, 07:29 AM
Lets go fishing!

Please check out my reply to "twist" here

I usually write lengthy threads on this subject, hopefully it should give you some insight into structure and ideas behind how to practice!

regards,

Matt smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
wrk
Aug 28 2009, 08:22 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I think to play lots of songs is a good approach .. if done right. Concentrate on parts you have difficulties with, build exercises out of these parts, try to find a corresponding lesson to practice a certain technic. A common mistake is to play songs over and over again and to rush through difficult parts.

In my opinion songs give you a good and dynamic structure for your practice routine. Keeps practicing interesting and you know for what you do certain exercises.

+Quote Post
Gus
Aug 28 2009, 08:32 AM
QUOTE (wrk @ Aug 28 2009, 09:22 AM) *
I think to play lots of songs is a good approach .. if done right. Concentrate on parts you have difficulties with, build exercises out of these parts, try to find a corresponding lesson to practice a certain technic. A common mistake is to play songs over and over again and to rush through difficult parts.

In my opinion songs give you a good and dynamic structure for your practice routine. Keeps practicing interesting and you know for what you do certain exercises.

That's very true. Usually the tricky part of a song is very small.
It is much more efficient to repeat a 30 second part 20 times than a 6 minute song 4 times. Still you would spend the same amount of time in each ! wink.gif

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
wrk
Aug 28 2009, 09:45 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gus @ Aug 28 2009, 09:32 AM) *
That's very true. Usually the tricky part of a song is very small.
It is much more efficient to repeat a 30 second part 20 times than a 6 minute song 4 times. Still you would spend the same amount of time in each ! wink.gif

Yeah, .. 30 seconds is maybe to long already, one bar or even 1/2 a bar. I often cut tricky parts out and replace them for a while with something easier to be able to play the song. In the meanwhile i turn this part into an exercise ... over time i end up with a collection of exercises which are part of my practice routine.... and the practice routine becomes longer and longer laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Aug 28 2009, 10:36 AM
Instructor
Nothing wrong with your approach! I think a lot of members here will tell you they started the same way... The real question is , are you feeling like you are improving at fast pace? Are you getting stuck with songs that you are getting tabs for?
If answer to first question is NO and to second one is YES, then we need to help you out with techniques so you can master those songs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
loundzilla
Aug 28 2009, 11:32 AM
This is all golden info guys!! Thanks so much !

I'm going to crack on with it tonight!

I dont think work are impressed that i'm able to access this site from work, i can't get off it haha!

--------------------
When I look in the mirror I see a face-melting guitar shredder.... maybe my mirror tells the future?
Download the GMC Guitar Theory Grimoire Here!

Guitars
Ibanez RGA42 (EMG 81/85 pickups)
Takemine G series electro acoustic

Equipment
Line 6 spider 3 75 amp
Line 6 POD studio UX2

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Aug 28 2009, 06:22 PM
Instructor
Haha better watch out or your boss will fire you biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:24 AM