2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Can Someone Please Tell Me Why I Keep Breaking Strings
Mudbone
May 4 2011, 09:43 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I've been practicing Lazlo's "SRV Intermediate" and I've already been through three sets of strings in a very short period of time. In fact, the first set lasted the longest, about a week, the second set lasted 15 minutes, and the third set lasted exactly 3 minutes. I keep breaking the high E string, and the second and third sets were 10's, so its not like they're thin strings. Whats funny is the set of 9's lasted the longest.

The first two times they broke in the middle and the last time it broke at the bridge. So am I doing something wrong here? Should I let the strings stretch out a bit before I do any wild bends? This is getting kind of expensive mad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
May 4 2011, 11:09 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Mudbone @ May 4 2011, 10:43 AM) *
Should I let the strings stretch out a bit before I do any wild bends?

Yes, stretch your strings when putting them on and tuning them for the first time. They thus stay in tune and are more durable. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 4 2011, 12:01 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Weird. Check if somethings wrong on the bridge or neck nut. Has it cut through the metal piece?

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 4 2011, 01:43 PM
Instructor
That IS weird ! I think your fingers are too strong ! tongue.gif

Ok sorry, less messing around.... as Maharzan asked, is there any possibility of a guitar component cutting into the string. (Although that wouldn't explain them breaking in different places.. so I've just invalidated my own question.)

It shouldn't be because of not stretching the strings enough before playing because they're at their most flexible anyway before you tune them up and start etc.. stretching the strings out involves, well.. stretching them.. so bending them shouldn't be any different in theory. (In my case I grab the strings and pull them away from the fretboard by a couple of inches until they're a bit more stable, so a few bends shouldn't stress them out too much)

Wish I could help more.. do the strings travel through the nut freely ?

+Quote Post
Fran
May 4 2011, 03:19 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (maharzan @ May 4 2011, 01:01 PM) *
Weird. Check if somethings wrong on the bridge or neck nut. Has it cut through the metal piece?

+1

I used to break lots of strings years ago, witha Telecaster I had.

Never happenned with any of my other guitars, so I guess there was something in that guitar's bridge that was edgy and made them slap. Check your bridge/nut.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 4 2011, 04:12 PM
Instructor
As Maharzan said it should be a component of your guitar that is cutting the string. What brand of strings are you using?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Justin Myrick
May 4 2011, 04:28 PM
GMC Administrator
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 4 2011, 12:43 PM) *

Stop working out your fingers so often at the gym. wink.gif

--------------------
About Me

Cheers,
Justin Myrick
GMC Administrator

+Quote Post
Mudbone
May 4 2011, 05:21 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 4 2011, 08:43 AM) *

Ok sorry, less messing around.... as Maharzan asked, is there any possibility of a guitar component cutting into the string. (Although that wouldn't explain them breaking in different places.. so I've just invalidated my own question.)

It shouldn't be because of not stretching the strings enough before playing because they're at their most flexible anyway before you tune them up and start etc.. stretching the strings out involves, well.. stretching them.. so bending them shouldn't be any different in theory. (In my case I grab the strings and pull them away from the fretboard by a couple of inches until they're a bit more stable, so a few bends shouldn't stress them out too much)

Wish I could help more.. do the strings travel through the nut freely ?

I highly doubt its a case of my hands being too strong, because ever since I stopped doing manual labor I've been suffering from a case of serious "b*tch hands" wink.gif I do bend the E and B string at the 10th fret up to D string, thats not too much of a stretch, is it?

Initially I thought it was snapping at the bridge, but once it snapped in the middle, and once it snapped very close to the bridge, but not at a mechanical junction.

It is a Stratocaster that I just picked up last month, so its not like its an old worn out guitar. But then again I have heard that some Strats have a tendency to break strings. I've also heard that Elvis is still alive. I've heard a lot of things. Anyhow, the string does slide freely through the nut, so no problems there.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 4 2011, 11:12 AM) *
As Maharzan said it should be a component of your guitar that is cutting the string. What brand of strings are you using?

The first set was the factory strings, the second set were D'Adarrio's, and the last set were Dunlops.

*in Arnold accent* I need a set made out of titanium and depleted uranium!"

--------------------

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 4 2011, 05:24 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I think you may have problem with your bridge cutting the string and this is quite often the case.
Try to file it a bit to make it smoother. You can also take the guitar to the Luther.
You should stretch your strings after you put them on but I'm not sure if that is causing them to break so soon.
Though - you may have just bought a bad sets of strings if you got them from the same store. Maybe they are old and didn't get stored in proper conditions.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Mudbone
May 4 2011, 05:43 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ May 4 2011, 12:24 PM) *
I think you may have problem with your bridge cutting the string and this is quite often the case.
Try to file it a bit to make it smoother. You can also take the guitar to the Luther.
You should stretch your strings after you put them on but I'm not sure if that is causing them to break so soon.
Though - you may have just bought a bad sets of strings if you got them from the same store. Maybe they are old and didn't get stored in proper conditions.

You make a great point, I might have to file the hole in the tremolo block. I don't think its the bridge saddle because its a round shape. I'm sure you're familiar with vintage Strat saddles.

I've been getting strings from the same guitar store that I have always gotten them from. Its a pretty busy Guitar Center so its unlikely the strings are old.

I think I'm going to order a bunch of E strings from this website called Naked Strings and see if I keep on having this problem. Its statistically possible that I just got a few bad sets in a row.

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 4 2011, 06:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ May 4 2011, 05:43 PM) *
I think I'm going to order a bunch of E strings from this website called Naked Strings and see if I keep on having this problem.

Naked Strings ? Now why doesn't that surprise me ? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
May 4 2011, 06:34 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 4 2011, 01:17 PM) *
Naked Strings ? Now why doesn't that surprise me ? biggrin.gif

Booyah! Good one biggrin.gif Should I get you a "G-string" while I'm ordering my E strings? tongue.gif

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 4 2011, 06:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ May 4 2011, 06:34 PM) *
Booyah! Good one biggrin.gif Should I get you a "G-string" while I'm ordering my E strings? tongue.gif

Don't be silly, you know I would never run out of those ! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
May 4 2011, 06:43 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 4 2011, 01:40 PM) *
Don't be silly, you know I would never run out of those ! biggrin.gif

laugh.gif HAHAHA biggrin.gif

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 5 2011, 04:15 AM
GMC:er
What brand did you say these were that keep breaking? Also, is it only on this guitar? If you restring them all, play them all and this one keeps snapping strings take it to a guitar shop and have a bench tech look it over. Could be something mechanical that the untrained eye would miss. Not to disparage your eye, but bench guys at guitar shops see lots of guitars.

Also, I must suggest my fav strings. The super slinky 9 sets. To each his own of course, but since I switched to these a bit back my string breaks have all but ceased.

And as was mentioned, be sure to stretch y our strings/wear them in a bit before doing tons of crazy stevie ray vaugh style bends. smile.gif

Todd
QUOTE (Mudbone @ May 4 2011, 12:43 PM) *
laugh.gif HAHAHA biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
May 8 2011, 10:17 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 4 2011, 11:15 PM) *
What brand did you say these were that keep breaking? Also, is it only on this guitar? If you restring them all, play them all and this one keeps snapping strings take it to a guitar shop and have a bench tech look it over. Could be something mechanical that the untrained eye would miss. Not to disparage your eye, but bench guys at guitar shops see lots of guitars.

Also, I must suggest my fav strings. The super slinky 9 sets. To each his own of course, but since I switched to these a bit back my string breaks have all but ceased.

And as was mentioned, be sure to stretch y our strings/wear them in a bit before doing tons of crazy stevie ray vaugh style bends. smile.gif

Todd

The strings were the factory strings, D'Addarios, and Dunlops. I've never had any issues with D'Addarios, but I have broken some Dunlops before. Personally I've never really cared for Ernie Balls, simply because they don't have enough "twang" for me, to each his own I guess. Right now my favorite strings are the Dunlops, even though they haven't been the most reliable. But I wouldn't as far to say that they're unreliable. They're not as bright as the D'Addarios, but they sound much more even and don't take forever to stabilize. You should definitely try them out if you haven't already.

Anyhow, I have just gotten a set of six Ernie Ball 10 gauge E strings biggrin.gif Thats all that Guitar Center had, so we'll see how it goes. Lets see if I break all six. And if I do break all of them, I'll see where I broke it. If all six break at the bridge, then most certainly its a mechanical issue. Funny thing is, I'm kinda paranoid to go apeshit with the bends now... the last time that string snapped it got me pretty good tongue.gif

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 8 2011, 10:38 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ May 8 2011, 11:17 PM) *
The strings were the factory strings, D'Addarios, and Dunlops. I've never had any issues with D'Addarios, but I have broken some Dunlops before. Personally I've never really cared for Ernie Balls, simply because they don't have enough "twang" for me, to each his own I guess. Right now my favorite strings are the Dunlops, even though they haven't been the most reliable. But I wouldn't as far to say that they're unreliable. They're not as bright as the D'Addarios, but they sound much more even and don't take forever to stabilize. You should definitely try them out if you haven't already.

Anyhow, I have just gotten a set of six Ernie Ball 10 gauge E strings biggrin.gif Thats all that Guitar Center had, so we'll see how it goes. Lets see if I break all six. And if I do break all of them, I'll see where I broke it. If all six break at the bridge, then most certainly its a mechanical issue. Funny thing is, I'm kinda paranoid to go apeshit with the bends now... the last time that string snapped it got me pretty good tongue.gif

Keep monitoring the situation. Maybe you were just lucky to break them so often in a row smile.gif
Don't be afraid of bending, just imagine you are playing bass smile.gif)) hahhaha

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Mudbone
May 8 2011, 10:45 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ May 8 2011, 05:38 PM) *
Keep monitoring the situation. Maybe you were just lucky to break them so often in a row smile.gif
Don't be afraid of bending, just imagine you are playing bass smile.gif)) hahhaha

Cool, I'll try to imagine that next time I'm playing biggrin.gif

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 8 2011, 10:52 PM
Instructor
I snapped lots of 10s on gigs and in practice, right now I'm on 11-52 set. Never broke any of those smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Mudbone
May 8 2011, 11:07 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 8 2011, 05:52 PM) *
I snapped lots of 10s on gigs and in practice, right now I'm on 11-52 set. Never broke any of those smile.gif

Thats what I got on my LTD and have never broken any of those either no matter how old they are biggrin.gif I just don't have an extra trem spring to put on my strat so I can't use the 11's on it without the trem lifting up. 11's are great, once you get the hang of them they're not that difficult to play. But one thing I noticed is if you don't have jumbo frets they can be somewhat difficult to play. I had some 11's on a Peavey Predator that had medium frets with a glossy urethane finished fretboard, and I found it very difficult to do bends and eliminate buzzing when playing chords.

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:41 AM